Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 beats Porsche 911 Turbo around track.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 10:18 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turbo has awd, and it's a Porsche. Stating the obvious, the driving experience must be head and shoulders above the Z06.

I prefer the Porsche, but I'm more likely to buy the vette one day. It'll be nice to know in the back of my mind that it's faster, despite the Delco-esque interior.
Old 10-11-06, 11:25 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Obviously if someone said what would you rather have a C6 Z06 or a Porsche 911 people are going to say the Porsche because it's $130K. But would you really want to spend your OWN money? Not me. I would rather BUY the C6 Z06 then any Ferrari or whatever car it beats even if it's still just a corvette, I would HATE to of paid $150K for a Porsche or Ferrari, then line up next to a $60K C6 Z06 and get my *** handed to me while the Z06 driver is saying he just raped an exotic.
Old 10-12-06, 07:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would take the Z06 regardless of price. This car is a road burner, makes beautiful noises, out handles a Porshe, and is sexy as hell. The choice is an easy one.
Old 10-12-06, 12:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acenase
Obviously if someone said what would you rather have a C6 Z06 or a Porsche 911 people are going to say the Porsche because it's $130K. But would you really want to spend your OWN money? Not me. I would rather BUY the C6 Z06 then any Ferrari or whatever car it beats even if it's still just a corvette, I would HATE to of paid $150K for a Porsche or Ferrari, then line up next to a $60K C6 Z06 and get my *** handed to me while the Z06 driver is saying he just raped an exotic.
Raped? Looks like the Z06 is slower on the 'ring according to those stats...

Lets not forget how much of a handful the Z06 is to drive. It isn't some light, precise vehicle... its still hamfisted and will get squirrelly on you. I've seen pictures and video of the rear-end leaping up in the air very dangerously on small elevation transitions.

Z06 might be faster in a straight line and may have won this track test; but as usual the suspension tuning of the Porsche is FAR FAR FAR superior... an idea lost on most people. These same people that say the NSX sucks because it isn't super fast in a straight line.
Old 10-12-06, 12:30 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would take the Z06 regardless of price. This car is a road burner, makes beautiful noises, out handles a Porshe, and is sexy as hell. The choice is an easy one.
This just in... the Z06 doesn't outhandle a Porsche. You can put huge fat tires on a tractor and it will pull 1g on the skidpad. Example: My stock suspension 240sx pulls pretty low skidpad numbers because of small tires and old suspension; but it will still outhandle the GTO in your sig.
Old 10-12-06, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Porsche will outhandle just about any 'Vette in the turns because of the mid/rear engine-weight bias and the newer Porsche suspensions and tires that help prevent snap oversteer and spinouts like the older ones did. The Z06, with its 500 HP and torque figures and RWD to the Porsche's heavier AWD with more drag, will of course catch up and outrun the Porsche on long straights. I'd rate the 2 cars probably a tossup.
Old 10-12-06, 01:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Porsche will outhandle just about any 'Vette in the turns because of the mid/rear engine-weight bias and the newer Porsche suspensions and tires that help prevent snap oversteer and spinouts like the older ones did. The Z06, with its 500 HP and torque figures and RWD to the Porsche's heavier AWD with more drag, will of course catch up and outrun the Porsche on long straights. I'd rate the 2 cars probably a tossup.
What are the slalom numbers for the two vehicles? I know on the skidpad the Vette does 1.01g's & the Porshe Turbo does .94. If the Vette Zo6 is such an oversteer queen, it would have poor slalom numbers and skidpad numbers imo.
Old 10-12-06, 04:43 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
Raped? Looks like the Z06 is slower on the 'ring according to those stats...

Lets not forget how much of a handful the Z06 is to drive. It isn't some light, precise vehicle... its still hamfisted and will get squirrelly on you. I've seen pictures and video of the rear-end leaping up in the air very dangerously on small elevation transitions.

Z06 might be faster in a straight line and may have won this track test; but as usual the suspension tuning of the Porsche is FAR FAR FAR superior... an idea lost on most people. These same people that say the NSX sucks because it isn't super fast in a straight line.
I don't know if ayone saw these yet, but I'm assuming no because nobody commented on them:

Nurburgring Lap times...the one track time that actually matters:
7.39* -- 161.575 km/h -- Porsche 997 GT3, 415 PS/1395 kg, *mfr. (quote sport auto 05/06)

7:40 --- 161.217 km/h -- Porsche 997 Turbo, 480 PS/ ??? kg, (Motortrend)

7:42.9 - 160.207 km/h -- Corvette Z06, 500 PS/1319 kg, Jan Magnusen, (Sporbilen, jun,26 05), http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y...ID=1384471&l=d
Old 10-12-06, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What are the slalom numbers for the two vehicles? I know on the skidpad the Vette does 1.01g's & the Porshe Turbo does .94. If the Vette Zo6 is such an oversteer queen, it would have poor slalom numbers and skidpad numbers imo.
Hard to really interpret G-numbers without knowing what tires each car has, what the road surface is and how hot or cold both the tires and the road itself is. That's why I said in my last post....all other things equal....in comparing the two cars.
However, by nature, the Porsche, in most cases, with equal tires, should outhandle the Corvette due to its mid-rear weight bias being more conducive to oversteer and quick steering response. While the Corvette does achieve good front/rear weight balance through clever packaging and mounting of the heavy V8 engine and transmission ( the transmission is at the rear, with the final-drive unit ) it still, comparatively speaking, has more weight up front to push around curves.
Old 10-13-06, 08:14 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new styling is beautiful. Plus can't ignore the price difference. I'd get the vette and a GS300AWD.
Old 10-13-06, 10:43 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T0ked
The new styling is beautiful. Plus can't ignore the price difference. I'd get the vette and a GS300AWD.
or a z06 for weekends and a new daily driver LS460 (really really nice interior there) for a total of about $135k
Old 10-14-06, 02:41 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Take the Z06. 911 series is really looking dated to me. Classic design gets boring year after year. Wow we got a new headlight this year!
Old 10-15-06, 10:30 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd opt for a 911 Gemballa or RUF conversion.