Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi to raise prices in the next 5 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 02:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Maybe they should finish up the class action law suit with all the S4 owners, whos motors have been blowing up first.
The law suit will inevitably get dismissed after the new marketing campaign and all those torqued off owners become Audismart.
Old 10-13-06, 02:22 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RON430
The law suit will inevitably get dismissed after the new marketing campaign and all those torqued off owners become Audismart.
My poor brother in law has gone through one motor already on his 04 and having problems with the new one now. Besides his issues.....that car hauls arss off the line.
Old 10-13-06, 03:25 PM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure if you have much idea about what has put values in cars, evidently you believe marketing is what makes the difference. Might want to turn the reality distortion field down a bit. Then again, maybe you are right and Audi marketing is "brialliant".
Why is Lexus successful in the US but not in Europe or any other market? Perceived quality? Possibly, as Lexus does rank highest among car brands here. Lower price? Another possibility. Customer service? Another possibility. But Infiniti offered this same recipe, and as of yet, hasn't gained the amount of respect that Lexus has. Before you start telling me about Lexus halo cars like the SC that Infiniti doesn't have, let me make one thing clear: THE ONLY REASON WHY LEXUS IS REGARDED AS PRESTIGIOUS AS BMW OR MB IN AMERICA IS BECAUSE OF MARKETING.

Where Infiniti came up short, Lexus came out with clever, entertaining ads which captured American hearts and gave the brand a personality; a philosophy of creating comfortable, luxurious vehicles.

Take my mother for instance, someone who knows little about cars. She drives an A6 and my father drives a GS. I asked her which brand she perceived as more luxurious and her answer was Lexus. She couldn't explain this reasoning with something quantifiable, but admitted the ads she saw on television were a likely culprit.

Maybe it's too difficult for you to grasp, but Lexus marketing has played a very large role in shaping brand image and perceptions among American consumers. Audi has realized this, and their efforts will likely be effective.

From the press release, the reason given for the increased marketing was to justify raising prices. Obviously you feel marketing programs are worth more than I. You are inevitably paying for all of a company's programs when you purchase the car but Audi makes a competitive product. I don't see where they have the ability to raise prices much and doing so will either a)increase sales, b) not effect sales, or c) reduce sales. All we have to do is wait to see what happens.
Have you not noticed the substancial price increases on Lexus models over the years as well? This when the brand is more profitable than ever, with record sales, a strong dealer network, and an even more successful parent company. Have you also noticed increased Lexus advertisements? I know I have. INCREASED ADVERTISING = INCREASED SALES in the US market. And using your logic, I can deduce that Americans are "paying for all of these advertisements".

You are fully allowed to paint with as broad a brush as you want but this is Club Lexus and I think you will find that the people here are informed about cars and have developed a sense of what they are looking for. That may be a small percentage of Lexus owners but to say that Americans favor image over the product "iteself" is a opinion that you are welcome to harbor but if Audi gets it wrong, well there will be more repercussions than just ignoring this thread two days from now.
An opinion that is well justified and even better documented. Case in point, the 2006 Luxury Institute survey which found that Americans believe (500 of them) Lexus to be a more "prestigious" brand than Audi and BMW. How do you think they could have reached such an opinion? Was it the actual products themselves, or was it clever advertising which made them THINK this was the case? I can assure it was latter rather than the former.

Maybe Audi is right in that they should have a higher price than now. But they are very close to bimmer and no, I do not believe they offer a product that justifies a higher price than bimmer. Of course they are more expensive than Lexus and I haven't gone for either the A8 or the LS until I have a chance to see and drive the new LS. Oops, sorry, I know I wasn't suppose to mention that an uninformed dullard like me would actually want to wait and drive the car. You are most likely right and I would be much better off pick a car from the brochure where Audi will likely excel.
That's an opinion that you and most Americans hold. But the fact of the matter is that, unlike you, study after study conclude Americans are more likely to try something or buy something, that has been marketed to them. Ensuring that Audi is correctly advertised, a price increase will not hurt sales. If anything, it will help sales. Maybe then, more "ignorant Americans" as you put it, will see that Audi is certainly just as good, and in many areas, better than BMW and MB.
Old 10-13-06, 03:31 PM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

Something else that really irritates me about Lexus owners. A belief that they have the most perfect, reliable cars, and that "nothing ever breaks, fails, or goes wrong on my Lexus".

I guess my father's case of a 2006 GS430 with transmission problems was a one in a million case then? Well, not according to the ES350 forum, because the same problem can be documented there as well. Not to mention an alleged "structural integrity" issue with the ES.

Plus the rash of Toyota recalls lately. Perfect Toyota/Lexus can't possibly be slipping in reliabilty, after all, that's why "we bought a Lexus".

Maybe once all of you realize ANY car can have problems, and stop chastizing European cars for having so many so-called issues, you'll be better off. Because Lexus vehicles aren't perfect either.
Old 10-14-06, 01:06 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that Audi are also updating their dealerships.