Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Audi R8 Bang & Olufsen Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 08:00 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a better sound system that they should have put into the R8

a V10 engine!

hehehehe
Old 10-14-06, 09:06 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, i agree. Plus that front overhang is huge.
Old 10-15-06, 12:56 AM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iceman
I fully admit that the problem may be with me and not with Audi, but I think if you took a poll across the nation and asked people to rank luxury car brands, Audi would come in last (out of those people who even remembered to include them on the list at all). Increased marketing may help with brand awareness, but increased pricing doesn't seem warranted at this point.
Rank cars in what regard? Brand awareness or the actual products themselves? Because Audi is actually a much higher-end make with more expensive models than Lexus, and now the R8. In many cases, Audi's are more expensive than BMW or MB models (RS4, S6, A8 W12).

But I'd say the fault lies with Audi, not the American consumer. They came to the US in 1968, seven years before BMW, so they've clearly had a long time to cultivate their image and have neglected to do so. Studies show Americans are very influenced by effective advertising--whether it be for low involvement products, food and beverage, or higher involvement items (cars, homes). This is the main reason Lexus was so successful.

You go to Europe, the Middle East, Asia, or Australia and Audi is often more highly regarded than BMW or MB. So it can be done. I mean look at Lexus acheived in not even twenty years--perfect testament to the true effectiveness of American marketing.
Old 10-15-06, 07:03 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I don't know. I've heard BOSE's Lifestyle 48 sound system. It sounds pretty damn good for those tiny speakers.
Bose is a gimmick, and you proved it right there. It's not the quality of the sound, it's the quality of the sound coming from such small speakers. Bose makes some decent factory car systems, but they're not high-fidelity audiophile sound systems. Merely louder than stock and accompanied by a subwoofer sound.
Old 10-15-06, 10:32 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iceman
This is one of the most ignorant statements ever recorded at this esteemed web board.

don't get upset cause you wasted a lot of money.
Old 10-15-06, 11:56 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lubs
Bose is a gimmick, and you proved it right there. It's not the quality of the sound, it's the quality of the sound coming from such small speakers. Bose makes some decent factory car systems, but they're not high-fidelity audiophile sound systems. Merely louder than stock and accompanied by a subwoofer sound.
Kinda like Mark Levinson systems....
Old 10-15-06, 12:50 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Actually no. ML is to this date the best ive ever heard. Bose just sucks, plus the speakers dont last long.
Old 10-15-06, 01:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not a fan of stock system. No matter how great the brand is, the speakers are always water'ed down for mass production. No company can afford to put higher end speakers in their car when the mass population does not demand super sound quality. Most people think that if a system has more speakers, it'll sound better, which is completely false. Most people here may like ML or Nak system, but I for one am picky about my music so those ML packages are a complete waste of money. They sound great relative to other stock system, but if you're really into sound quality, aftermarket is the way to go.
Old 10-15-06, 04:56 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Actually no. ML is to this date the best ive ever heard. Bose just sucks, plus the speakers dont last long.
I agree that the ML is the best stock system I've personally heard. That is, of course, a personal opinion.

Apparently you also have the personal opinion that "Bose just sucks." Then you state "the speakers don't last long"--the only thing in your post that could potentially be backed up with facts. Do you have some statistics from a reputable source that says Bose speakers wear out quickly?

I'll counter with a personal experience of my own--I've blown out two speakers on the ML system in my Lexus over a little more than four years of ownership. I haven't blown out any speakers on the Bose system in my Acura after a little more than eight years of ownership.
Old 10-15-06, 05:47 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i do have to say that Bose speakers arent as good as they are hyped up to be

one thing Bose is very very good at is their marketing department

I truly hated the Bose system in my old man's 2005 S500
the treble was way too sharp, sounded artificial, lacking mids...

Bang & Olufsen home audio stuff are pretty good but still doesnt compare to aftermarket of course
Old 10-15-06, 06:46 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Iceman, of course i dont have hard evidence. My eclass has speakers near the front windshield and they havent worked after the 1st year of use and im not the one to blast music. I do believe that there is a difference between the bose on Japanese cars than the ones that came on MB. I couldnt find anything bad about the Bose on the Acuras but thats not the case with my E. Ill have to say the ML in the LS seems very durable compared to the NAK in the LX and the Bose in the Eclass. Im going to have to hear the B&O systems.
Old 10-15-06, 10:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have heard that BOSE achieves the sound with more digital manipulate to create the desired effect moreso than the other brands which try to produce as natural a sound as possible. No doubt that they'll both produce great sound especially since BOSE will have technology on its side.
Old 10-16-06, 09:04 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

The quality of BOSE equipment really is junk. They do achieve a lot of their sound through heavy equalization. Their Lifestyle systems sound decent beause of this. You can never really achieve decent sound by buying their speaker-only systems. This is coming from a long time user of the AM5 and AM7 systems. When I replaced everything, I was pissed off that my new cheap Polk speakers sounded better. That and the use of really cheap paper cones even in their $1k systems.

As for B&O, their reputation is from design more than sound. It is general knowledge in the audiophile circle that function follows form at B&O. Their home audio stuff is quite amazing to look at, if just mediocre to hear.

ML, Nakamichi, Harman Kardon, these companies are known for great audio reproduction, and BOSE for name and heavy equalization. Unless B&O did something really special in the Audi, I would have to side on the gimmick band wagon on this one.

The first thing I thought when I read the header was, "Hmmm, they better have designed som really funky head unit or outrageous controls, cause it'll sound like crap"... my own bias of course.
Old 10-16-06, 11:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
As for B&O, their reputation is from design more than sound. It is general knowledge in the audiophile circle that function follows form at B&O. Their home audio stuff is quite amazing to look at, if just mediocre to hear.
I have to agree with you on this. They are more form than function. Pretty to look at, but okay to listen to if you're an audiophile. Personally, I rather have a company that specializes in true sound quality, than a company that emphasizes on designs. After all, I dont look at my speakers when I drive
Old 10-16-06, 12:16 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Just for the record, Mark Levinson is truly high end very well respected audio. ML home systems go for almost as much as the price of a car. So high end are they that the magazine Audiophile stated in their reviews of the systems in the LS and SC (First car audio review from that exclusive mag) that you're buying a ML system with a car thrown in for free. Comparing ML to Bose is like comparing Lexus to Kia. The Bose in my S500 paled in comparison to the Nak system in my 1993 SC300.

B&O is quite a few rungs up the ladder than Bose, and in my opinion, does the function following form thing much better than Bose. And from what I have heard, sound better than Bose, too. I find my Energy Veritas speakers at home to sound much better than the B&O speakers, and they are 1/3 the price. Granted, they are big black boxes... big black shiny boxes.

Quick Reply: New Audi R8 Bang & Olufsen Sound System