Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, Honda dominate U.S. fuel economy ratings for 2007 Models ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 03:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota, Honda dominate U.S. fuel economy ratings for 2007 Models ...

EPA/DOE Release Top Fuel Economy Lists for 2007 Models
Here are the ten best, in order :

1. Toyota Prius
2. Honda Civic Hybrid
3. Toyota Camry Hybrid
4. Ford Escape Hybrid FWD
5. Toyota Yaris (manual)
6. Toyota Yaris (automatic)
7. Honda Fit (manual)
8. Toyota Corolla (manual)
9. Hyundai Accent (manual) tied with the Kia Rio (manual)
10. Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD tied with the Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD

While the gas-sipping Prius topped the list with EPA economy numbers of 60 mpg city and 51 mpg highway, the much less expensive gas-only Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit turned in very impressive numbers (34/40 and 33/38, respectively for the manual transmission versions).

Perhaps the most entertaining aspect of the report is the seeing the EPA categorize the Aston Martin DB9 as a "minicompact," the Bentley Azure as a "subcompact," and the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti as a "midsize" car. (All three posted worst-in-class numbers, by the way.)
Release date: 10/17/2006

(Washington, D.C. - Oct. 17, 2006) The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today released the 2007 Fuel Economy Guide to help consumers make well-informed choices when purchasing new vehicles.

"By fueling consumers with better information, EPA is helping American motorists conserve their money while preserving our environment," said EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson. "Steering our nation away from foreign oil dependency, President Bush is investing in energy innovations and bringing breakthroughs in fuel efficiency from the labs to the streets."

"Each year millions of Americans buy new cars, and by using fuel economy information, each consumer can make a more educated decision that will help conserve energy and save money," Energy Secretary Samuel W. Bodman said. "In addition to looking at the miles-per-gallon rating, I would also encourage Americans to buy flex-fuel vehicles, which are also good for our economy because they use homegrown E-85."

Data show that hybrid vehicles continue to lead the government's fuel economy ratings. This year's Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry Hybrid and Ford Escape Hybrid FWD models top the list. Hybrid technology can be effectively used to improve fuel economy, as other models leading the list include the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD.

Fuel economy estimates, which appear on the window stickers of all new cars and light trucks prior to sale, are determined by tests that manufacturers and EPA conduct according to EPA specifications. This year's label values are based on the same test methods that have been used in recent years. However, to ensure these estimates continue to remain as reliable as possible, in February EPA proposed changing the methods to better reflect what drivers are experiencing on the road. EPA expects to finalize these changes in time to take effect with 2008 models.

source: yosemite.epa.gov, autoblog
Old 10-17-06, 04:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps the most entertaining aspect of the report is the seeing the EPA categorize the Aston Martin DB9 as a "minicompact," the Bentley Azure as a "subcompact," and the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti as a "midsize" car. (All three posted worst-in-class numbers, by the way.)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Makes the whole thing unreliable...
Old 10-17-06, 05:11 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why no mention of the diesel Jetta? I regularly see a combined 55 city/highway? Very fuel efficient IMO, sometimes when I run it on cooking oil from local fast food restaurants I see around 60mpg and its good for the environment.
Old 10-17-06, 06:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
Why no mention of the diesel Jetta? I regularly see a combined 55 city/highway? Very fuel efficient IMO, sometimes when I run it on cooking oil from local fast food restaurants I see around 60mpg and its good for the environment.
VW diesels are discontinued for 07 as they dont meet the new emission requirements, they will be back