Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Full Test: 2007 Lexus LS460 (still lacking spice??)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 05:56 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
You weren't being serious? You sure sounded serious - or did I miss some obvious humor or 'winky' smiley face in those posts? You've been spouting off quite a few 'facts' today that you seem to avoid backing up when people ask for data. And not just in this thread.

I'm also interested to know how the "simple slim" ideology that Toyota has been pushing relates to block casting methodologies in the least? The block casting process itself hasn't been changed to my knowledge other than the fact that some of the blocks have moved to aluminum... that has nothing to do with simple slim and everything to do with normal design progression, with ANY brand - 'simple slim' or not
I says what I please....maybe I cannot afford the time to back up everything I say.
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...fer=news_index

The first step was simply to use less aluminum. The new Camry engine, which Toyota claims will accelerate the car 40 percent faster than the 3.3-liter engine in the prior model, has an aluminum block that weighs 55 pounds (25 kilograms) -- a 27 percent reduction.

Saving Aluminum

Toyota also redesigned the cylinder head so that it requires fewer honeycomb-like passageways for fuel and air, Lloyd says. That means the company needs to lay fewer ``cores,'' or clusters of sand, inside the molten aluminum during casting to leave space for the passageways.
Old 10-24-06, 05:58 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Alright fellas, lets not beat up Mr. Jones.....
I will ask Mr. Jones to post a reference or two when a claim is made that someone may refute....

Let us all recognize the difference between opinions and facts
I wanna be like 1SickLex when I grow up.

Originally Posted by ff_
Mr Jones, busted...

Now you guys know why I can be such a pain in the a$$ with respect to things people and say on the internet. There's so much comment based not on personal knowledge or experience, but on "I heard it on the internet, so it must be true". That's the sort of thing that can lead to a lot of brand snobbery.
Hardly, you've been stereotyping Lexus cars for some time on this board.

I don't give MB the benefit of the doubt, as far as I'm concerned Toyota is a superior engine builder. I distinctly recall the whole MB 3valve twin plug cylinder debacle. I recall Benz's relentless push to convince Americans of the superiority of diesels, they're Ad-Blue which requires replacment compared to Honda which can regenerate urea through recycle or some other process.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 10-24-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 06:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I says what I please....maybe I cannot afford the time to back up everything I say.
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...fer=news_index
So it seems what you meant to say was "simple slim design methods"... and not "simple slim production methods".

The production of the blocks and the casting process was not changed - the design of the block itself was revised to save weight.
Old 10-24-06, 06:16 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mavericck
Mr. Jones doesn't back up what he says, he simply calls you ignorant if you disagree with him. As in the B&O vs ML audio system debate that was pretty one sided.
ML monoblock amps start at prices that B&O doesn't even enter.

Actually, find me a B&O monoblock

No.33 monoblock
$33k/pair
175lbs each
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/115/

No. 436 monoblock
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpowe...05/index2.html
a pair will set you back $12,500
Like the Krell FPB 600c and the Bryston 7B-ST, it was capable of reproducing full-volume percussion without compression.

CD player No.390S $6700
http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/104ml/

Mark Levinson No.326S line preamplifier $10,000
http://stereophile.com/solidpreamps/106ml/

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 10-24-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 06:21 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
So it seems what you meant to say was "simple slim design methods"... and not "simple slim production methods".

The production of the blocks and the casting process was not changed - the design of the block itself was revised to save weight.
The new casters use 40 percent less pressure to inject molten aluminum into molds. That gives air inside the molds a chance to escape rather than being blasted back into the aluminum in the form of bubbles that weaken the walls of the block.
yeah,yeah...I have no time for this.
Old 10-24-06, 06:24 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how much weight does that one simple slim production change save? Enough for you to have called it "considerable" apparently.

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Like I said earlier ML and B&O don't compete with each other.
And B&O is a joke.
ML's home stuff is, for the most part, in a completely different league from their car stuff.

ML systems in Lexus, while an EXCELLENT marketing opportunity for the ML brand, is not on par with their home equipment.

In fact ML systems as a whole were designed by Harman International - makers of HK, Infinity, and even JBL. They bought Mark Levinson's own name out from underneath him before the new 2001 ML-equipped Lexus models were even introduced.

With that said, ML still makes, IMO, the best factory car audio systems out there for all of the Lexus cars and the class they compete in. But looking at ML's home equipment and comparing it to B&O's home equipment is probably not good grounds for comparing the design and grade of equipment put into the Lexus and Audi models.