Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX300 Wins edmunds most significant award.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 01:38 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they gave it the award cause it was the 1st midsize suv targeted at the typical SUV buyer. The Rav4 and the CRV were aimed and young buyers looking for a cool new trendy vehicle.
Old 10-22-06, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
I think they gave it the award cause it was the 1st midsize suv targeted at the typical SUV buyer. The Rav4 and the CRV were aimed and young buyers looking for a cool new trendy vehicle.
The RAV4 more than the CR-V. Many older persons buy the CR-V, but it is uncommon to see people over 40 driving a RAV4. The oldest person I ever saw buy a RAV4 was around 45 or so.....she had a bad back and liked the seat level height for easy entry/exit without back strain.
Old 10-23-06, 05:37 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the RX was aimed at middle-aged buyers buyers looking for a new trendy vehicle. Same thing.
Old 10-23-06, 06:55 AM
LexFather

Sigh...
If ANYONE can name a car based luxury SUV before the RX, go ahead.
If ANYONE can say the RX has NOT been the best selling luxury SUV since its inception in 1999, go ahead. The RX now sells over 110,000 COPIES a year.

Some ENTIRE luxury BRANDS do not sell that much or barely sell over that amount. We are comparing 1 SUV to an entire brands sales.

THe RX is the BLUEPRINT for all other luxury cars based SUVs. Even Mercedes switched from truck based to car based with the 2nd gen ML.

Reading the Lexus Story, it was a TREMENDOUS gamble but Lexus research indicated luxury SUV sales were the next big thing.
And they were right.
Now look. EVERYONE has a luxury car based SUV. EVERYONE. BMW, Benz, Infiniti, Acura, etc etc.

The RX is GROUNDBREAKING. End of story. You don't have to have a V-20 8 turbo car to be groundbreaking.

Old 10-23-06, 07:25 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Reading the Lexus Story, it was a TREMENDOUS gamble but Lexus research indicated luxury SUV sales were the next big thing.
And they were right.
Thanks to witnessing the trend started by the wildy popular Explorer, CR-V, and Rav4, many years before, Lexus said "hey, these SUVs are selling well. I think we'll give it a shot."

Horrah.

"TREMENDOUS" gamble.. LOL. "Let's jack up a Camry, put in leather seats, and charge twice as much. These stupid Americans will buy into it."
Old 10-23-06, 07:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
Thanks to witnessing the trend started by the wildy popular Explorer, CR-V, and Rav4, many years before, Lexus said "hey, these SUVs are selling well. I think we'll give it a shot."

Horrah.

"TREMENDOUS" gamble.. LOL. "Let's jack up a Camry, put in leather seats, and charge twice as much. These stupid Americans will buy into it."
You never even answered the first question. Name a LUXURY brand that did it before the RX?
First= groundbreaking.

Funny but its cool and okay to say "BMW came with this first" or "Benz came with this first" but when "Lexus came with it first" its a bad thing.

lmao

Old 10-23-06, 07:40 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

You never even answered the first question. Name a LUXURY brand that did it before the RX?
First= groundbreaking.
I don't see what difference that makes. There's nothing groundbreaking about copying someone else's successful idea. Lexus (and Cadillac, and Acura, and..and..and...) already knew that Americans are willing to throw twice as much money at rebadged and pimped versions of their mainstream cars. They knew that Americans were beginning to go crazy over SUVs, and the economy was in the middle of it's biggest boom ever, so it was practically a no-risk situation.
Old 10-23-06, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

SICK, at least technically, is correct. There are no car-based LUXURY SUV's that I know of that preceeded the original RX300, although, as has been pointed out several times, the basic idea, design and layout of the RX300 was taken from earlier car-based non-luxury SUV's.
Old 10-23-06, 08:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know how significant the RX is, and I guess it is significant in the sense that it sells like hotcakes, and it's the first whatever, but I can tell you, I drove RX400h at the taste of lexus event yesterday, and I didn't like it one bit. It just way too minivanish on the inside, it feels and drives like a minivan. It has a minivan dash, minivan handrests, minivan shifter. Nasty. I find Acura MDX to be much better in every way.
Old 10-23-06, 08:19 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

First= groundbreaking.
Oh, forgot to answer that question. The Mercedes ML 320 came out in 1998.
Old 10-23-06, 08:21 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

The RX is groundbreaking for a few reasons first carbased luxury SUV, first hybrid suv, first performance hybrid. I guess it deserves to win for two years then.
Old 10-23-06, 08:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

And how many RX300 clones or use of RX300 design elements have we seen over the years since the RX300 came out.

Keep in mind the Toyota Harrier was out for a few years before the RX300 showed up at U.S. dealers in early to mid 1998.
Old 10-23-06, 09:36 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The RX is groundbreaking for a few reasons first carbased luxury SUV, first hybrid suv, first performance hybrid. I guess it deserves to win for two years then.
Groundbreaking

adj : being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before;

The RX wasn't the first SUV
The RX wasn't the first luxury SUV
The RX wasn't the first SUV derived from a car chassis
The RX wasn't the first hybrid vehicle

Yup, sounds like groundbreaking to me.
Old 10-23-06, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
Oh, forgot to answer that question. The Mercedes ML 320 came out in 1998.

SICK.....I think ff may have us on that one.
Old 10-23-06, 10:33 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah mclass was truck based. Again RX was first carbased luxury suv and was also first hybrid SUV(gas electric hybrid) and the first premium badged hybrid and first performance hybrid.

Quick Reply: RX300 Wins edmunds most significant award.