Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX300 Wins edmunds most significant award.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 10:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Yeah mclass was truck based.
So what? It's a luxury SUV. Next you're going to say that it doesn't count because the ML wasn't FWD like the RX (ha... like FWD is a good thing...)
Old 10-23-06, 11:39 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Oh, forgot to answer that question. The Mercedes ML 320 came out in 1998.
Range Rover has all you beat by a few years. If you are only counting luxury SUVs, not luxury cross overs.

Still rather have my rock solid RX then some POS like a Range Rover.

Last edited by toy4two; 10-23-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-23-06, 11:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

This is interesting, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_SUV
Old 10-23-06, 11:48 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
So what? It's a luxury SUV. Next you're going to say that it doesn't count because the ML wasn't FWD like the RX (ha... like FWD is a good thing...)
Acura SLX was out in 1996, no?
Old 10-23-06, 12:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
SICK.....I think ff may have us on that one.
Originally Posted by ff_
Oh, forgot to answer that question. The Mercedes ML 320 came out in 1998.
ff_ you answered wrong. The ML was truck based.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sigh...
If ANYONE can name a car based luxury SUV before the RX, go ahead.
If ANYONE can say the RX has NOT been the best selling luxury SUV since its inception in 1999, go ahead. The RX now sells over 110,000 COPIES a year.

Some ENTIRE luxury BRANDS do not sell that much or barely sell over that amount. We are comparing 1 SUV to an entire brands sales.

THe RX is the BLUEPRINT for all other luxury cars based SUVs. Even Mercedes switched from truck based to car based with the 2nd gen ML.

Reading the Lexus Story, it was a TREMENDOUS gamble but Lexus research indicated luxury SUV sales were the next big thing.
And they were right.
Now look. EVERYONE has a luxury car based SUV. EVERYONE. BMW, Benz, Infiniti, Acura, etc etc.

The RX is GROUNDBREAKING. End of story. You don't have to have a V-20 8 turbo car to be groundbreaking.
It is also universally accepted one of the biggest POS you could buy. It almost single handedly made Benz quality from average to poor.

Old 10-23-06, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Acura SLX was out in 1996, no?
No...that one doesn't count. The SLX was a redone Isuzu trooper ( truck-based, not car-based ). The Lexus RX was the first luxury car-based SUV's....the subject of this thread.
Old 10-23-06, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ff_ you answered wrong. The ML was truck based.

It is also universally accepted one of the biggest POS you could buy. It almost single handedly made Benz quality from average to poor.
OK...maybe. The ML was a fine line between car-based and truck-based...it had attributes of both. But SICK is correct that it was one of the worst vehicles Mercedes ever produced, quality-wise. For several years in a row, it ranked at the very bottom of Consumer reports' reliability database, along with the Land Rovers.

Toy4two.......the Land Rover, BTW, was indeed a luxury SUV but NOT car-based. Despite its unreliability and poor assembly quality, it is one of the world's best and toughest off-roaders.
Old 10-23-06, 12:28 PM
LexFather

Now as I have been on the internet on many car forums for sometime now, I don't even get upset when I still see the bias towards Japanese brands and they have "no soul" and they dont create anything.

What people need to do is get their intense hatred for whatever out of the way since it clouds their posts and makes their debate seem like 4 year old "I hate you" rhetoric...
Lets go"
1. Acura SLX truck based, failed miserably. The first Japanese branded SUV off the Isuzu trooper. I think it debuted in fall 1996.
2 . Benz has had the LEGENDARY G wagon for sometime, I want to say 1970s....People paid over $120,000 to import them here (and got PISSED when Benz started importing them for much less).
3. Infiniti came with the QX4 in 1996 as well and well, it was no stud.
4. Range Rover was your other option for a luxury branded SUV for the past few decades
5. Lexus came with the legendary land crusier based LX 470. This SUV flew past expectations in 1996, surpassing RR in a year in sales! (1997)

Again no car based luxury suvs and suv luxury sales were very tiny.

Lexus again, came with the GROUND BREAKING RX in fall 98 as a 1999 model. Nothing has sold close to it. Next thing BMW had the X5 (and now X3) and everyone RUSHED to a car based platform. Acura came with the MDX. You have the Porsche CAYENNE now.

Trust me, no RX as a success, no Cayenne. Porsche saw SUVs are a very viable sales alrernative. Who would have thought they would live to see a Porsche OR even a BMW SUV?

I DIDN"T EVEN LIKE the RX for its first few model years but after having one, it just wins you over. It does everything good or better and nothing poor.

Now you have the groundbreaking first luxury SUV hybrid the RX 400h.

Old 10-23-06, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And, with that, guys, I think I'm going to bow out of this arguement and let the rest of you hash this one out. . It's VERY rare for me to walk away from an automotive discussion ( trust me on that ) but the question of whether the RX was the first luxury car-based SUV or not is going to be a very difficult one to settle, given the borderline car/truck-basing of some of its competition. There have been some very good differing opinions given here, and IMO we should leave it at that.
Old 10-23-06, 12:44 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I think the real argument here is whether the RX was a groundbreaking offering. Or if it was nothing more than a meshing together of the ideas already "invented" by other automakers. I think we all know the answer to that.
Old 10-23-06, 01:07 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MB had the first Luxury badged SUV with the G-Class in the late 70's wasnt sold in america so i guess the 91 Olds Bravadw as the first luxury badged SUV in america. And there all truck based.