Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS460L on sale in Hong Kong & China

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-06, 10:26 AM
vader11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yeah these luxury cars are really costly there after import duties and all that
lexus, MB, BMW are all considered pretty prestigious brands and that adds a layer of artificially inflated price too IMO

btw why is this woman trying to pour from a bottle of wine with a cork still in it

yes yes i know its just for show...

a plastic rose cheapens the car too
MB & BMW are much more expensive than Lexus in HK & China, they think that Lexus is just a upgraded Toyota. They also think that European cars are better than Japanese cars. So, most people choose MB or BMW rather than Lexus. For that reason, Lexus has to decrease it's price in those places in order to compete with MB & BMW. Here are price in USD of some luxury car in HK:
LS460L: 158k
S500L: 193K
750i: 180k
A8L 4.2: 153K
Old 10-22-06, 10:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by vader11
MB & BMW are much more expensive than Lexus in HK & China, they think that Lexus is just a upgraded Toyota. They also think that European cars are better than Japanese cars.
Plus there are some Chinese people, especially the older generation that still have problems with buying Japanese because they still remember the Japanese atrocities in Asia during WW II, plus the denial/revisionist attitude of some Japanese politicians today regarding that period of history.
Old 10-22-06, 10:41 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Plus there are some Chinese people, especially the older generation that still have problems with buying Japanese because they still remember the Japanese atrocities in Asia during WW II, plus the denial/revisionist attitude of some Japanese politicians today regarding that period of history.
This also makes you wonder why the older generation of europeans would want to buy german cars
Old 10-22-06, 12:50 PM
vader11
Rookie

Yes! Exactly!
BTW, there's a great increase in the price of LS in HK(LS430 is about $97k USD but the LS460L about $158k USD!)
Old 10-22-06, 01:12 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by @lpher
This also makes you wonder why the older generation of europeans would want to buy german cars
Perhaps they're not as good at holding a grudge.
Old 10-22-06, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

is the import tax on big displacement engines in hk still 100%? if so, then all the normal price difference would be "doubled"?
Old 10-23-06, 09:51 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kissbang
Perhaps they're not as good at holding a grudge.
You might be right, but i do know my grandpa still doesnt like germans...

Last edited by @lpher; 10-23-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 11:51 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newr
no wonder most of them ride bicycles.
LOL
Old 10-23-06, 12:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$160K vs. $180/190K, seems close enough to me and still better value. And costs more than the A8L.
Old 10-23-06, 12:41 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
$160K vs. $180/190K, seems close enough to me and still better value. And costs more than the A8L.
You sure it's the A8L and not the regular, SWB A8?
Old 10-23-06, 01:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going off vader11's numbers at the top of this 2nd page.
Old 10-23-06, 01:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going off vader11's numbers at the top of this 2nd page.
Whoops, my bad. I remembered the BMW was listed as 750i, and I mistakenly thought the A8 was listed as A8, not A8L.
Old 10-23-06, 02:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The scariest thing about a car as complex as the LS460 is that mainland China has some serious issues with finding enough skilled automotive techs right now. Now maybe the Lexus dealers there pay well enough that they have no problems getting truely knowledgable technicians, but if they do they're lucky because that's a problem I know China as a whole is having - too many cars and not enough people that know how to keep them running.

Yes, because we all know that the Chinese government doesn't, as a whole, still try to rewrite history books and censor mass amounts of information on the internet from being seen by its citizens.
Old 10-23-06, 03:23 PM
vader11
Rookie

However, the 2006 LS430 is about $97k USD, which is much cheaper than S500L's 190ks & 750i's 180ks...& I think this $160ks LS460L is quite fully loaded, but the $190k S500L & $180k 750i is just the base price, if you get the fully loaded S500L & 750i, they probabily cost more than $220k, which is much expensive than the LS460L...

Last edited by vader11; 10-23-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 08:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

very true
and i think thats the main reason why

but also that these war generations are passing away
taiwan is a bit more of an unique situation
there are many elderly taiwanese people that were educated by the japanese back then when japan occupied taiwan so they are still loyal to japanese products and brands

but then there is also the chinese people that moved to taiwan back during the war against communism
those elderlies hate japanese big time

i know both sides of the story since im a chiwanese
lol
mom is local taiwanse, her parents spoke perfect japanese, had japanese friends, bought japanese goods all the time

my dad's family were from china so they hate japanese to death, my grandpa still curses japan up to these days for what they did to the chinese people back then

but you know, these generations are old
and they arent the ones buying cars nowadays either
my dad bought me the lexus and heck, he was a consultant for NEC in taiwan for quite a while too

id say that Lexus will only get bigger as the Germans make more mistakes making unreliable cars

Originally Posted by vader11
MB & BMW are much more expensive than Lexus in HK & China, they think that Lexus is just a upgraded Toyota. They also think that European cars are better than Japanese cars. So, most people choose MB or BMW rather than Lexus. For that reason, Lexus has to decrease it's price in those places in order to compete with MB & BMW. Here are price in USD of some luxury car in HK:
LS460L: 158k
S500L: 193K
750i: 180k
A8L 4.2: 153K
i think many ppl in asia already know that lexus isnt just a hyped up toyota, its much more now
and i think the brand positioning will continue to rise since toyota brought the Lexus brand name out in japan too
so as long as lexus brand name image keeps on rising and moving the customers' perception up gradually, there is no problems and in the near future, lexus's pricing will catch up to german cars too!
btw could the price differences also be explained by the shipping distance?

Since they haven't even opened the bottle, I think that liquid in the glass is probably diluted tea or something

I don't think drinks will be nearly as stable on that table as cup holders when the car is moving. I won't do that especially for the Alabaster interior carpets . . .
weird that she took the foil out but left the cork in
lol

in Maybach, the cup (champagne glass) holder... (yes the car comes with its own champagne glass) has 3 metal clips with springs in them to keep the glasses in place even when there are bumps
but of course thats Uber-Luxury and lexus isnt there yet

btw, why hasnt anyone mentioned that the woman in the pic has really flat chest?

Quick Reply: LS460L on sale in Hong Kong & China