Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy a new sub-$20K car..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 06:31 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmarshall.

Thanks again for your ideas. I was just re-reading your first post about the outback basic.

I have been looking high and low for a Legacy without a sunroof. They make them, but they don't sell them. Maybe it's just a limited run, but I can't find any Legacy that is not a 2.5 SE (meaning it comes with a sunroof).

Now I see the Outback Basic without a sunroof.

I will have to see about that.

I don't like sunroofs (am I the only one?) when I test drove a Legacy Spec.B my head was close to the roof so I had to put the seat all the way to the floor, but then my thigh was un-comfortable with no support. I think with a car without a sunroof the seat can be in a normal more chair like position and my legs may be more comfortable.

I am going to look into the Outback Basic, my wife does not like station wagons, but I may be able to talk her into it.
Old 10-23-06, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
mmarshall.

Thanks again for your ideas. I was just re-reading your first post about the outback basic.

I have been looking high and low for a Legacy without a sunroof. They make them, but they don't sell them. Maybe it's just a limited run, but I can't find any Legacy that is not a 2.5 SE (meaning it comes with a sunroof).

I don't like sunroofs (am I the only one?) when I test drove a Legacy Spec.B my head was close to the roof so I had to put the seat all the way to the floor, but then my thigh was un-comfortable with no support. I think with a car without a sunroof the seat can be in a normal more chair like position and my legs may be more comfortable.

I am going to look into the Outback Basic, my wife does not like station wagons, but I may be able to talk her into it.
I don't like sunroofs either. I got an Outback 2.5i without one.

I see you are not far away in Maryland. I am in the D.C. Virginia suburbs. If you don't find the car you are looking for in your area, I'll do some checking around here and see I can't find you one...I know people in the Subaru buisness and can maybe get you a pretty good deal. If you don't find what you want at a MD dealership PM me and we'll go from there.
Old 10-23-06, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
mmarshall.

I don't like sunroofs either. I got an Outback 2.5i without one.

I see you are not far away in Maryland. I am in the D.C. Virginia suburbs. If you don't find the car you are looking for in your area, I'll do some checking around here and see if I can't find you one...I know people in the Subaru buisness and can maybe get you a pretty good deal. If you don't find what you want at a MD dealership PM me and we'll go from there.
Old 10-23-06, 09:20 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you don't find what you want at a MD dealership PM me and we'll go from there.
will do.

Thanks.

I still haven't decided one way or the other, I have a soft spot for Hondas and want to test drive the Accord, also want to test a non-turbo Legacy or Outback.
Old 10-23-06, 07:27 PM
rai
Lead Lap

I went shopping today. First I went to the hyundai dealership. I just looked at the cars. Must say the whole experience did not put me in a good frame of mind about hyundai. There was one car on the whole showroom, and no one around, not a sole to ask if I needed anything. I just looked around the lot to see they don't have a single Sonata with a MT, so don't even bother to talk to anyone there.

Then I go to a Honda dealership. Looks like a million dollars with (brand new everything). Well I ask about if they have any manual tranny Accords. They don't have a single one. This was the same dealership I was at a few months back that didn't have a single MT Fit or Civic. I told them they are losing sales b/c they don't stock MT, big deal the girl tells me they only get a MT car once in a while and it sells instantly (duh)

Same deal at Toyota, the didn't have a single Camry with a MT. But then they say they do have a used 07 Camry CE which is the lowest level I4 with MT. I took it for a drive. It was not bad, but it wasn't anything great. I know I can't expect excitment, this is just an appliance, but the Camry is def a dull ride. It rode nice and quiet but I want something with a bit of an edge. I hear the Legacy is a little rough compared to the slick Accord/Camry, but a little more fun to drive.

I am more likely leaning towards a Legacy now. I find almost half of them have MT so there is a lot places to look and play one against the other. I even have found a couple without sunroofs (I find it hard to come by Legacy without sunroof) they are wagons not sedans, but I don't have a big preference, the wagon adds about a grand, but minus the sunroof gives half of that back. Also I see most Legacy are about $2K off MSRP (so called no haggle internet price) so I can find several with MT for about $19,600 to $20,200 (in that range).

I plan on testing the Legacy wagon next.

Last edited by rai; 10-23-06 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Legacy is sweet.
I also am a big fan of the Mazda 3. And if you can stretch to maybe 23k, you can get a Mazdaspeed 6 as they are not selling AT ALL, manual, turbo, AWD. Seriously, they are steals.

Old 10-23-06, 08:13 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Legacy is sweet.
I also am a big fan of the Mazda 3. And if you can stretch to maybe 23k, you can get a Mazdaspeed 6 as they are not selling AT ALL, manual, turbo, AWD. Seriously, they are steals.
that does sound like a good deal.

But I am looking for a no-fuss car. I don't want turbo or require premium gas. This car is going to be a car for the nanny and part time for me. In time I may take it over, but mainly just as cheap transportation.

Not to say it has to be boring or that it has to be super great on gas. I want something middle of the road, but will look for more fun if it's still fairly basic.