Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Names Mercedes GL450 SUV of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 04:37 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
How, exactly, is the build quality of a vehicle determined by the platform it is built on? Especially with a body on frame vehicle where the platform itself is almost entirely structurally independent from the body which sits on it?

It isn't.
I disagree, Escalade lacks time and money.

High build quality requires both. GM has sadly forgotten this. Reviewers have mentioned Escalade not structurally solid like the MB giving it an inferior ride and aura.
Old 10-24-06, 04:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I disagree, Escalade lacks time and money.

High build quality requires both. GM has sadly forgotten this.
You have avoided your statement. You said that high build quality is not possible as it shares its platform with less expensive vehicles. I'm interested in hearing you either concede that makes no sense, or explain that... not going on into factors like "time and money" which you don't have any quantifiable data on.

Reviewers have mentioned Escalade not structurally solid like the MB giving it an inferior ride and aura.
Which reviewers mentioned that? I have no doubt the Benz SUV has a higher natural resonant frequency, and greater bending and torsional rigidity because it's a unibody design. It has thrown its truck chassis roots out the window and adopted the design of, more or less, a large car. But for that matter you can rest assured that the MB chassis will likely also be more structurally solid (in the beginning of its life, anyway - after that depends on how you use it) than ANY BOF SUV including the new LX.
It's just a rule of thumb... Unibody/spaceframe > BOF in terms of rigidity. BOF > UB/SF in terms of durability and ability to get work done without wearing out.

You would most likely not be very happy with the GL after any reasonable life of truck duties such as towing, hauling, or off-roading. But then again that's what Mercedes is after - people who just want a giant SUV that drives like a car, and that's why they aren't considered about making a giant SUV that basically IS a car.
Old 10-24-06, 05:36 PM
LexFather

I cannot lie, the Tourag has grown on me a little as of late..........

Old 10-24-06, 06:31 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
...Which reviewers mentioned that?

You have avoided your statement. You said that high build quality is not possible as it shares its platform with less expensive vehicles. I'm interested in hearing you either concede that makes no sense, or explain that...
Has it become your goal to take up my time?
I'm going on hiatus
Old 10-25-06, 07:20 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, check out the auto extremist's column this week.

http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml

by Peter M. DeLorenzo

Out of touch and out of time - thank goodness for the "New and Improved" Motor Trend.

Detroit. Along about this time of year, I am reminded, whether I want to be or not, of the most inane award in the entire automobile industry. Motor Trend has been conducting its "Car of the Year" award since 1949, and though they've desperately tried to instill legitimacy and gravitas to its selection process each year, make no mistake - this is a giant revenue generator and marketing opportunity, pure and simple.

Oh yes, I've heard some of my colleagues wax-on eloquently about how Motor Trend is better, bandying about words like "much improved" and even "transformed." And to a minor degree, I would agree, with the overall art direction at least tolerable for the most part. But despite all of the hype and the bluster and the well-intentioned efforts of editor in chief Angus MacKenzie, the Motor Trend Car/Truck/Sport/Utility Awards taints every noble effort by the editorial staff for the rest of the year.

But then again, this has always been the case.

I remember in my previous life in advertising at BBDO-Detroit when I was given the task of presenting creative work to Motor Trend honchos in order to convince them that if the Dodge Lancer was selected for the "COTY" as it's commonly referred to (yes, that's right - the Dodge Lancer), Dodge and the agency had a suitable plan - meaning one that would encompass spending enough money - to justify MT dispensing their "coveted" award.

As I recall, we spent a ton of money for the privilege of campaigning for the award - and lo and behold, our plan was sufficient enough because, amazingly enough, the Lancer "won" the COTY. Since that time, MT has gone out of its way to let the world know that they take their awards seriously.

But what has really changed, exactly? Not much.

This year, MT says that it "...evaluates eligible vehicles based on three key categories: Significance, Superiority, and Value. Significance refers to innovation in engineering, technology, design, safety and packaging. Superiority levels the playing field and looks for class-leading levels of vehicle dynamics and performance, build quality and execution, and how well the vehicle performs its intended function. Finally, the all-important Value question asks, 'What does this vehicle deliver in relation to what the consumer has to pay to purchase and own it?'"

That's all well and good, but this year's winner of Motor Trend's 2007 Sport/Utility of the Year is the $55,000+ Mercedes-Benz GL450, basically a stretched M-Class SUV. The new GL is not only monumentally tedious to look at - with enough creases, folds and "me-too" SUV cues to make even the homely Jeep Commander look tolerable - in no way, shape or form should the word "value" ever be uttered within 20 feet of it.

Mercedes can boast all they want about their improved quality efforts and the myriad steps they've taken to ensure that the quality of their SUVs will be competitive, but it's far too early to tell if that will be true. It's safe to say that given the past dismal quality record of Mercedes-Benz in general and their SUVs in particular, consumers need to approach the vehicle with a large measure of caution. So basically, Motor Trend's "all-important Value" component of their judging process is immediately suspect - at best.

MacKenzie did his best to try to pump up the volume for the magazine's selection by saying, "The GL may be a surprise winner for many people. The first full-size sport/utility from Mercedes is not cheap, but it has astonishing technology. It offers a seven-speed automatic transmission and a V-8 engine with 335 horsepower, and it will be available in a version that runs on the new low-sulfur diesel fuel for greater gas mileage. Comfortable, third-row seating has become one of the most important measures for sport/utilities, and the GL's is the best."

Uh, okay - if you say so, Angus.

But he couldn't stop there, oh no. He continued, "The GL extends the reach of Mercedes-Benz in the sport/utility segment, and is certainly the best sport/utility they've made. In every facet, from performance to the interior, the vehicle is a winner."

Just off the top of my head, the phrase, "...the best sport/utility they've made..." says it all. It's not the best SUV you can buy, it's just the best SUV Mercedes-Benz has made. This allows the magazine's editorial staff to stand apart a safe distance from their selection - at least safe enough to look in the mirror in the morning.

But who's kidding whom here? The MT "COTY" award has nothing to do with the integrity of the selection criteria or the credibility of the editorial staff. Instead, it has everything to do with marketing "synergies" - and which auto manufacturer wants it bad enough, plain and simple. And after all of their somber pronouncements about the award and what it means to the industry and of course, to you, the consumer - in the end, the Motor Trend "COTY" is nothing but a glorified joint marketing effort between Primedia, and in this case, Mercedes-Benz - the designated beneficiary.

So, expect to see an amazing number of print ads in magazines touting M-B's award - especially in Motor Trend itself (there's a shocker). And expect to see a TV commercial touting M-B's "victory" and plenty of Internet ads and showroom displays too. After all, what would the "COTY" campaign be without that ubiquitous trophy showing up everywhere? In some respects, it's quaint that the Motor Trend "COTY" still even exists. It harkens back to a time when things were much simpler - when a backroom deal was struck, and everybody got something tangible for it.

Nowadays, in our painfully politically correct, touchy-feely era, the Motor Trend editorial staff and Primedia have to go through all sorts of gyrations and calculated displays of pomposity to convince all of us that the award is worthy of respect.

Wouldn't it be much easier if they just announced the award, buried us in ads and dispensed with the rest of the hand-wringing?

Then, the people who don't know any better could attach their own level of significance to it.

While the rest of us could do what we always do - studiously ignore it.

Thanks for listening, see you next Wednesday.
Old 10-26-06, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
LOL, check out the auto extremist's column this week.

http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml
That article was SPOT ON!!!

Old 10-26-06, 07:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i bet the new MDX wouldve given it a run for its money, but it probably wasnt available for this competition
Old 10-26-06, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i bet the new MDX wouldve given it a run for its money, but it probably wasnt available for this competition
The MDX and RDX were tested. I posted on page 1 I was surprised a Honda didn't win....the CR-V was tested as well.

Old 10-26-06, 08:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The MDX and RDX were tested. I posted on page 1 I was surprised a Honda didn't win....the CR-V was tested as well.
yea the old MDX I bet, this competition had to have been going on for months to evaluate a winner, 07MDX was no where near production several months ago wasnt even officially announced at that time, so it couldnt have been tested.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-26-06 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 09:19 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think in order to qualify for MT COTY it has to be a brand new model or significantly updated. With that said they most likely tested the 2007 MDX.

This new GL-class has been hyped a lot by more than just MotorTrend. I havent driven it, but I still fail to see what exactly makes this SUV more special than its competition.
Old 10-26-06, 09:57 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I don't really know why all of you are complaining about the new GL recieving MT's SUV of the year. I think it deserves it. I didn't you hear you all complaining the last time a Toyota Tundra won, did I?

Here's what Edmunds thought about it: http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...rstNav=Gallery

Article: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/merc...7/review.html#

Here's what Car and Driver thought of the GL: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...50-4matic.html

Another Car and Driver article: http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...enz-gl450.html

And for the record the MDX looks like it's trying way too hard to look high-tech and stylish, to the point of looking absolutely hideous to me.

Last edited by mavericck; 10-26-06 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 10:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea the old MDX I bet, this competition had to have been going on for months to evaluate a winner, 07MDX was no where near production several months ago wasnt even officially announced at that time, so it couldnt have been tested.
The new model. They test only new or seriously revised models for the Truck of the year award.

Old 10-26-06, 11:03 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
The Escalade uses fake wood all over the interior, and get horrendous fuel economoy, at least it does look nice (exterior). There is also a 3rd row seating issue because of the rear live-axle. Escalade is built on an unmodified mass produced GMT900 platform (Tahoe/Yukon) which means its build quality is on par w/a $30k vehicle not a $60k one.
I picked up a '07 Escalade a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It's a diamond white exterior with ebony interior. Don't underestimate the Escalade's interior, it is quite nice....especially with the ebony interior. Funny thing is that the Escalade has absolutely no interior rattles, while my GS has quite a few. We'll see if this stays the case over the coming months. And the navigation system on the Escalade is great...I actually prefer it over the nav in my GS430. Huge 8 inch screen, 3d viewing, higher resolution.

The '07 Escalade wasn't on my top 3 list initially. Sure, the GX or LX would have been the safer/reliable choice. But they were both too vanilla for me, although I'm sure the new LX will be nice. Also considered the Q56, but couldn't get over the funky styling.

But after I visited the Caddy dealership, it was literally love at first sight. The Escalade truly has a love it or hate it design, but I for one love it. The HID headlights and the rear led lights are awesome. The remote start and auto rear liftgate are also nice touches. And the engine? 400+ HP never felt or sounded so good. The six speed tranny is also very smooth.

Now for negatives. Yes, the fuel mileage is not great. But I wasn't expecting anything great. And I agree that the fake wood and the manual tilt of the steering wheel are cheap moves on Caddy's part. 3rd row seat? Bah, not a concern for me. I took it out immediately. If I wanted to haul 7 people all the time, I'd get the ESV or a mini-van. Also, the Caddy sales experience leaves much to be desired.

As soon as I get my digital camera back from service, I'll post pics. But let me tell you, this is one fun SUV to drive