Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Lexus small SUV still in consideration??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 04:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Unhappy A Lexus small SUV still in consideration??

Predicting Lexus' X3 fighter

Lexus currently sells three different SUVs. Its smallest one — the RX 350, –sells the most. Since early this year, rumors from Japan have indicated the luxury automaker intends to get on car-based crossover bandwagon with a compact SUV of its own. For the 2009 model year Lexus is expected to introduce a new crossover SUV that will be smaller in size than the current RX 350.

The new crossover will use a modified Toyota RAV4 platform and a version of its 3.5 liter V6 engine. Size will be similar to the BMW X3 and Acura RDX. This artist's sketch, based on the latest information from Japan, gives an idea of what the new Lexus crossover might look like.

Old 10-24-06, 04:17 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota Considers More CUVs

Toyota Considers More CUVs

Although it already offers a number of cross/utility vehicles in the U.S. market, Toyota Motor Corp. may be adding more, as consumers continue to shift away from truck-based SUVs to more fuel-fficient, car-based versions.

“The trend (toward CUVs) will continue,” Jim Press, president-Toyota Motor North America, tells Ward’s in an interview. “We are evaluating a number of opportunities for (CUVs) but are not ready to discuss any specific segment.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Primedia Business - Ward's Auto, Click Here!

Press stops short of confirming a rumored Lexus-badged variant of Toyota’s popular RAV4 small CUV, whose production will be shifting from Japan to a new plant in Woodstock, Ont., Canada, in 2008. Toyota already builds the Lexus RX 350 CUV at another Canadian plant, in the nearby city of Cambridge, Ont.

A recent report had Toyota discontinuing its Camry coupe model, the Solara, in favor of a Toyota-badged CUV, to be built on the Camry line in Georgetown, KY.

“We’re not yet ready to talk about what will happen with Solara,” Press says. “There’s no definitive plan that’s been established (regarding) what its future is going to be.”

Ward’s data indicates a new all-wheel-drive midsize Toyota CUV, FT-SX, based on the Camry platform, is slated for sale in 2008 as an ’09 model.

See related content: Ward's North American Product Cycle Chart
Could Solara be replaced by new CUV?

Also reportedly on tap is a new Lexus midsize CUV, dubbed JX, going on sale next year as an ’08 model. The AWD JX will share the Lexus IS platform, NC250 rather than the RAV4 platform.

“The technology and design are allowing us to build more capability into unibody SUVs, and customer preferences in terms of the lighter vehicle and the mileage seem consistent, so that trend will continue,” Press says of CUVs’ increasing popularity.

Ward’s segmentation data shows CUV sales up 8.5% in the U.S. year-to-date, to 1.8 million units. Small CUVs, such as the RAV4, have the highest growth rate, up 12.2% to 317,354 units through September.
Old 10-24-06, 04:21 PM
LexFather

Posted in our preview Lexus forum
I will say I hope no baby Lexus SUV ever comes out.

Old 10-24-06, 04:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The thing is, in Japan Lexus is not even selling the RX or ES...
Old 10-24-06, 05:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused... I never really looked at any hard numbers in this regard and don't feel like doing it at the moment, either, but I was under the impression that the current RX was pretty close to the size of the X3 anyway?

Granted the new RAV4 seems to be nearly as big and has already confused me as to why it's so big when they have the highlander already in that spot.

The only logical conclusion to me is that while the RX WAS their X3 competitor, they're taking more direct aim at it with a new Lexus SUV based on the RAV4 platform, and moving the highlander and RX upscale in size a bit.

Then the question is, will the RX/Highlander continue to be based on the Camry/ES platform or will they move to a different platform as well (kinda like the MDX moved from the Accord/Odyssey platform with its latest deisng)? I was under the impression they were going to make a GS-based SUV soon enough but I can't see it being too much bigger than a RX on steroids would be.

Man... Toyota's lineup is getting so crowded I'm having a hard time seeing where certain models are 'headed' right now... they used to have some obvious 'gaps' but they've definitely filled them recently.
Old 10-24-06, 05:22 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You mean the RX wasn't small enough? I hope they never make it.
Old 10-24-06, 05:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

to the idea .

I would rather have them build the GS based HPX with 3 rows of seats. They will sell more of this baby SUV, but the HPX would be better for the Lexus image in the long run . . .
Old 10-24-06, 06:52 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Link to Other Thread

Prototypes & Hybrid Tech Forum
Old 10-24-06, 09:22 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOOOOOO !!!!
Old 10-25-06, 07:01 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just build a hatchback 5-door IS350 wagon? It's almost the same thing.
Old 10-25-06, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RandalR
Why not just build a hatchback 5-door IS350 wagon? It's almost the same thing.
No hatchbacks, please!!!

It's a lame excuse for a stationwagon.

Just make a crossover. At least it still falls under an SUV category...
Old 10-25-06, 12:31 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see a need for it but if Lexus wants it at least use the smaller euro Rav4 for it to be based on. Or they can downsize the current Highlander a little to give it the right size.
Old 10-25-06, 12:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

However, I could see Lexus doing this outside the U.S. market.

After all, there was an IS200. Acura has the EL in Canada. Merecedes sold the small A series for years without selling it here in the U.S.

For price and MPG reasons, a small Leuxs might sell well in certain countries. I could most certainly see it being welcomed here in Mexico, we already have the X3 and RDX here and the Rav4 is a great seller.
Old 10-25-06, 01:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In a word....ugly. The ES350 front???? Lexus better not produce this.
Old 10-25-06, 06:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm confused... I never really looked at any hard numbers in this regard and don't feel like doing it at the moment, either, but I was under the impression that the current RX was pretty close to the size of the X3 anyway?

Granted the new RAV4 seems to be nearly as big and has already confused me as to why it's so big when they have the highlander already in that spot.

The only logical conclusion to me is that while the RX WAS their X3 competitor, they're taking more direct aim at it with a new Lexus SUV based on the RAV4 platform, and moving the highlander and RX upscale in size a bit.

Then the question is, will the RX/Highlander continue to be based on the Camry/ES platform or will they move to a different platform as well (kinda like the MDX moved from the Accord/Odyssey platform with its latest deisng)? I was under the impression they were going to make a GS-based SUV soon enough but I can't see it being too much bigger than a RX on steroids would be.

Man... Toyota's lineup is getting so crowded I'm having a hard time seeing where certain models are 'headed' right now... they used to have some obvious 'gaps' but they've definitely filled them recently.
X5 is RX competitor, not X3.

And Rav4, while long has significantly shorter wheelbase (interior space) and is narrower than RX350 by wide margin. New RX will probably be bigger as well.

Quick Reply: A Lexus small SUV still in consideration??