Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove the 2007 Acura MDX over the weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 09:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they wont budge on MSRP but they said they would throw in lifetime oil changes and some other stuff, like accessories at cost. Since its new and MSRP only the deal breaker will be the service we get and mainly extra goodies like oil changes. Going to check another dealer later on. Yea I was aware sport includes tech, which we wanted anyways, its about 46. Tech was about 47 drive out, so sport maybe a little under 50k. Her current vehicle is an 01 Avalon, carmax offered 13k for it. Shes going to pay cash probably since current interest rates 6%+ are pretty crappy even with real good credit.

She wanted a used GX470 before but seeing how this MDX came out and dimensions are very similar, but much more loaded (used GX bare bones probably high 30s). I suggested she spend a little more on a brand new much improved vehicle. Since I got my IS she was gunning for a Lexus but seeing how loaded she can get this all new MDX I think she forgot what a GX was

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-25-06 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-25-06, 10:03 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Good luck to her. I dont know what kind od deals they are offering, but the dealership I went to is offering over $700 a month with 5K down for 36 months. I would wait a little bit until the deals get better.
Unless you need one now and has the $, I would agree with this. My last few cars were first year full MSRP because of impulse buy with unfortunate timing. I said no more. This time around, I am waiting for at least the 3rd year. Nothing really wrong with being bleeding edge. It always seem to turn out that I like the refresh/tweaks in the 3rd/4th year. Plus, by then, they are not selling for MSRP anymore.

I know that is a long time to wait but I think it will be fine in the long run.
Old 10-25-06, 10:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

its my fault, after I got my car she caught new car fever, I really doubt she can wait 2 years. By then a new similarly equipped GX might be out but its going to be priced much higher than an MDX Sport/Tech. My mom really liked it tho she said it felt like a car an for a moment she forgot she was driving an SUV. I looked at the brochure and acura claims .85g lateral acceleration
Old 10-25-06, 10:32 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its my fault, after I got my car she caught new car fever, I really doubt she can wait 2 years.
Is it just a new car or the new MDX? The "old" MDX can be had for a great deal now. The new MDX is pretty nice on paper. I will more than likely sell my 02, get an 06, wait a few years, and then swap for the new MDX.

I've been looking at used and new X5s, Cayennes, Q7, FX, XC90, RX, GX, Toureg, ... Since we are not made of $ , the MDX is still the only SUV that meets our needs at a good price point. The others are nice but not perfect. I would be just as happy with any of the others but not SO MUCH happier to spend the extra $. Of course, everyone's needs and means are different.
Old 10-25-06, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks. Great job reviewing. You also saved me some time.....I reviewed the outgoing 2006 model and was going to do the 2007 if there was any interest...now I won't have to, and can use the time on another vehicle.
( I've got a REAL surprise for you guys coming up at Christmas )
I was disappointed with the advance specs I saw on the new MDX a few weeks ago showing the switch from 60-series to 55-series tires...I'm glad your experience shows that it hasn't hurt the ride too much. The switch from wood trim to brushed-metal trim inside was also, IMO, a disappointment at first, but based on what I saw in the MDX's almost identical-looking little brother RDX, the silver metallic trim was EXTREMELY well-done, and quite solidly attached.
Old 10-25-06, 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I've been looking at used and new X5s, Cayennes, Q7, FX, XC90, RX, GX, Toureg, ... Since we are not made of $ , the MDX is still the only SUV that meets our needs at a good price point. The others are nice but not perfect. I would be just as happy with any of the others but not SO MUCH happier to spend the extra $. Of course, everyone's needs and means are different.
Did you consider checking out the '06 Explorer Limited like I got? (I got the V8 RWD version) you might be surprised if you can by the 'down to earth' dealerships!

All those other you mentioned are a bunch more money.

And if you really want to save a bunch you might consider looking at the new Suzuki Grand Vitara or even the Saturn Vue - friends have one and it's really very nice inside and the ride is great - has the Honda 3.5V6 in it which is extremely smooth.
Old 10-25-06, 03:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Is it just a new car or the new MDX? The "old" MDX can be had for a great deal now. The new MDX is pretty nice on paper. I will more than likely sell my 02, get an 06, wait a few years, and then swap for the new MDX.

My problem with a used MDX was that they hold their value so well. 2003s with 60K on them were still going thru the auction at 28K+. Our 2006 fully loaded went for $39K plus tax. My wife LOVES the new one however (pics alone) - I've instructed the sales guy to not let her near it.
Old 10-25-06, 04:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

mom saw the old MDX and she said it was really plain and boring inside vs the new one. Now she wants to test drive a used GX, women cant make up their mind, no offense to GX owners but its very dated vs an MDX
Old 10-26-06, 03:53 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a test ride in the 07 MDX earlier today. I noticed that the MDX is lacking in power down low in the rpm band and also the mid reange power isn't that great. My 06 GX definitely is more responsive in those power zones. What I'm saying is the MDX certainly doesn't feel like it has 300 hp.
The MDX also isn't as quiet doing down the highway as my GX. I could hear more wind, engine and road noise than the GX. The sunroof shade and the sun visors had a cheap feel to them. But Acura has made advances since the previous version. And overall the MDX just didn't have as solid of a feel to it as does the GX. And when you get one loaded up, its very close to 50 grand, which is in the GX territory. I can't wait to see what Lexus has in store for the 2009 GX.
Old 10-26-06, 04:01 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, your GX has a V8. Displacement will always win. The MDX I am sure has 300hp but its all up high like other Honda engines. It has lots of power for its class range which would put it next to a RX330. The GX is also a lot more expensive so you would expect it to feel better made.
Old 10-26-06, 05:36 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review. Too bad they always come out after the RXs. Now for a woman's point of view--we do like luxury, driving is nice, but to drive everyday well, I'd have to try it. Gas and size are always issues. I prefer a slightly smaller car. I've been spoiled having to buy gas only once in 2 weeks with the 400h.
Old 10-26-06, 07:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

mom might sell her car to her sister NEXT year so the MDX idea is going on the back burner for now, i guess we can avoid 1st year bugs and maybe by then it can be negotiated
Old 10-26-06, 08:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes like I said in the review, in typical Honda fashion, the truck really starts to move when you get into the higher rev range. I also think that the truck is way faster than the previous one, however it is no where near as dramatic during hard acceleration which is why it probably doesn't seem as fast. 47hp in a truck that only weighs 100lb more is a big difference. In the 1st gen(the 253hp version) under hard acceleration there was a lot of rear end squat giving you that feeling of a lot of power. The new MDX is more controlled IMO. Not as much rear end squat. It is faster and the delivery is smoother. Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-06, 10:22 PM
LexFather

1. I don't understand a high revving low torque SUV or truck? The hell?
2. The MDX forum ain't exactly head over heels over the truck.
3. The Price near or at 50k loaded has a lot of people looking like RL prospective buyers..wtf.

I still predict its gonna sell like nuts.

Old 10-26-06, 10:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You mean there is actually a forum for the MDX?!?!

I wonder what the allocation is for the new MDX. To get to that 50K price tag (well 48K to be exact, but whatever) you have to add the entertainment package which basically adds a rear seat DVD player. I just don't see that being a popular option. Other than that, your looking at 45,500 or so for the other 2 packages. Not much more expensive than the 1st gen I think.

Quick Reply: Test drove the 2007 Acura MDX over the weekend...