Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spotted: CL550 Coupe - Rancho Cucamonga

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 07:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Spotted: CL550 Coupe - Rancho Cucamonga

I know this thread is worthless without pics...but I thought I would mention it anyway. I wish I had my digi cam handy when it was coming toward me. It looks exactly like the car below but it was in Black and had the CA MFG plates on. It was not in camo. At first I thought it was a black Avalon coming at me...but the tri-star logo was apparent when it was closer. The car was spotted in Rancho Cucamonga this morning.

On another note, for those going to SEMA, West Coast Customs will have a few goodies on display. A converted S550 sedan into a 2 door coupe and a 67 Chevelle on a Corvette C6 body should be ready as well. I was at their shop a few weeks ago.
Old 10-25-06, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so, how did the car stand on the road and what kind of impression it gave you, ryan? (besides that you thought it's an avalon in the beginning)
Old 10-25-06, 07:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
so, how did the car stand on the road and what kind of impression it gave you, ryan? (besides that you thought it's an avalon in the beginning)
What Henry said.....

Old 10-25-06, 08:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The car looked good, but because I perceived it to be an Avalon at first, I think a lot of people will have a hard time distinguishing this car with others on the road unless it's modified. The side and rear of the cars have that pronounced CL look. Something about the front of the car needs to be tweaked.
Old 10-25-06, 08:19 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I saw one in the middle of August cruising down the highway in NJ with very minimal camo on (tape on the headlights and rear lights and black wheels). Looked like nothing else on the highway IMO. The car is HUGE!! I thought it looked incredible.

Dont know how you confused it with an Avalon though.
Old 10-25-06, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hope when they have more on the road, they will give the same wow effect as the old one. almost all people (including my wife who hates mb in general) like the old cl and very impressed by it, hope that continues
Old 10-25-06, 09:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
At first I thought it was a black Avalon coming at me...but the tri-star logo was apparent when it was closer. The car was spotted in Rancho Cucamonga this morning.

On another note, for those going to SEMA, West Coast Customs will have a few goodies on display. A converted S550 sedan into a 2 door coupe and a 67 Chevelle on a Corvette C6 body should be ready as well. I was at their shop a few weeks ago.
You know what, it does actually look like an avalon from the thick horizontal slats on the grill and on the lower bumper.

Of course it's different one might say, but there are the similarities.

I can't wait to see one up close, esp. the amg version.

How in the world is WCC going to do a 2 dr s550?
Old 10-26-06, 12:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GFerg
I saw one in the middle of August cruising down the highway in NJ with very minimal camo on (tape on the headlights and rear lights and black wheels). Looked like nothing else on the highway IMO. The car is HUGE!! I thought it looked incredible.

Dont know how you confused it with an Avalon though.
Well I wasn't paying much attention to it until I saw it coming towards me. The chrome grille emblem was blacked out so it wasn't obvious to what it was until it was upclose to it. Also it being a Black vehicle, it's not going to be the best color to be distinguised by. Here in SoCal, we see plenty of camo and un-camoed test vehicles....majority of them are dark colors or black just to blend in with the crowd. I was disappointed with the new S class' styling, the new CL class is going that same route.

Last edited by flipside909; 10-26-06 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 12:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Old 10-26-06, 12:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

How in the world is WCC going to do a 2 dr s550?
It's already done....the finishing touches should be completed as we are speaking.
Old 10-26-06, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well I wasn't paying much attention to it until I saw it coming towards me. The chrome grille emblem was blacked out so it wasn't obvious to what it was until it was upclose to it. Also it being a Black vehicle, it's not going to be the best color to be distinguised by. Here in SoCal, we see plenty of camo and un-camoed test vehicles....majority of them are dark colors or black just to blend in with the crowd. I was disappointed with the new S class' styling, the new CL class is going that same route.
yup, the new cl is definitely going the same route as the s class, that's kinda sad

although the cl63 with the amg kits look so much better
Old 10-26-06, 10:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too bad most of the redesigned Mercedes looks better and this one doesnt. I like the CL500/55, but I am definitely not feeling the styling of this new CL.
Old 10-26-06, 11:49 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

On another note, for those going to SEMA, West Coast Customs will have a few goodies on display. A converted S550 sedan ... I was at their shop a few weeks ago.
I have to ask... why would they convert a sedan when the Coupe is coming in a month or two? Seems like a strange thing to do. It must be for a customer with too much money and not enough patience.

I shiver when I think about what it takes to do that type of conversion correctly... if you're using the stock wheelbase, you'd need to make the front doors longer and make new side glass for the rear - not to mention how the Star computer will react without the rear door window regulators, lock, etc. in place. The Star system is all tied together, and my guess is some elements of the system may not function correctly with items unplugged/eliminated. It'll probably throw codes left & right.

I've known Ryan @ WCC for several years (back to when they were in Laguna Niguel), but not all of their recent work has exactly been "first cabin." Heck, I used to wire the relays for their original air bag conversions because the Ryan and Frank were decent welders but not so good with wiring... only a few cars came back on flatbeds with busted 'bag mounts...

But I digess... it will be an interesting SEMA show. I'm sort of 'over it' already...
Old 10-26-06, 04:28 PM
LexFather

I have heard Mercedes themselves is coming with the 4 door convert S-class and it will be at an upcoming autoshow....

Old 10-27-06, 07:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I have to ask... why would they convert a sedan when the Coupe is coming in a month or two? Seems like a strange thing to do. It must be for a customer with too much money and not enough patience.

I shiver when I think about what it takes to do that type of conversion correctly... if you're using the stock wheelbase, you'd need to make the front doors longer and make new side glass for the rear - not to mention how the Star computer will react without the rear door window regulators, lock, etc. in place. The Star system is all tied together, and my guess is some elements of the system may not function correctly with items unplugged/eliminated. It'll probably throw codes left & right.

I've known Ryan @ WCC for several years (back to when they were in Laguna Niguel), but not all of their recent work has exactly been "first cabin." Heck, I used to wire the relays for their original air bag conversions because the Ryan and Frank were decent welders but not so good with wiring... only a few cars came back on flatbeds with busted 'bag mounts...

But I digess... it will be an interesting SEMA show. I'm sort of 'over it' already...
Yeah that was the same thing I asked the fabricator. You probably remember him from Laguna Niguel...Sean? He said the car has been in the works some time but they were afraid it was gonna look too much like the CL coupe. But as they saw the photos, they felt it was still unique in it's own sense. They are using aluminum sheet metal on top of regular sheet metal. For us in the collision repair industry... . They were at about 75% when I saw the car last...it should be a show stopper like the Dodge Charger/General Lee Retro.

Quick Reply: Spotted: CL550 Coupe - Rancho Cucamonga