Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota opens new front in truck war (381hp 5.7L engine)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 08:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Spot on!

I wish sometimes manufacturers would just quit it with the peak numbers and give oh I dunno, something like audio manufacturers give with frequency ranges.

Like maybe say xxx average horsepower from xxxx rpm until xxxx rpm, +/- xx horsepower.

Or maybe xxx+ torque or horsepower from xxxx rpm to xxxx rpm - though I know some already do that - but mainly just the ones who have something worth bragging about (a flat and broad torque curve)

I know to the average person that could be confusing, but that might at least give people an idea of the power under the curve on a given motor, short of actual printed out dyno charts.

Wait, hey, that's not a bad idea! Dyno charts in every mag review and press release!
every Toyota and Lexus engine has its dyno torque and hp curve posted either in brochures or on official Toyota/Lexus websites.

So yes, manufacturers are doing it already - at least some of them. In our European models, we have it for every car, including 69hp Yarii.
Old 11-01-06, 08:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I'm sure the final specs on the Tundra's engine will be impressive, but I think that's nothing compared to the Tundra's potential problems. I personally hate the styling although I haven't seen it in person yet, there's no turbodiesel offered yet and Toyota doesn't appear to have a suitable in-house one either, and it'll probably also lack the zillions of configuration options that the Big 2.5 trucks have. It'll probably get more sales than the previous Tundra, but I don't think this'll make a huge impact on the domestic truck market, and Toyota isn't expecting it to either.
Whats the % of turbodiesels sold as compared to petrol engines in F150? I doubt it is very large number.

Tundra will make huge impact on the future of US pickup truck market. Even if it only just meets its sales goals, which are relativly modest IMHO, we are talking about taking additional 2 billion in revenue from Big 3 compared to 2006 Tundra.

Thats what most people that dont work in sales dont understand - to make impact, you dont have to be #1 in sales. What you have to do is take sales. And this Tundra will do that.
Old 11-01-06, 08:30 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Whats the % of turbodiesels sold as compared to petrol engines in F150? I doubt it is very large number.
I don't know as far as specifically half-ton (usually a diesel isn't offered), but the domestic pickup truck market is something like 40% turbodiesel.

Tundra will make huge impact on the future of US pickup truck market. Even if it only just meets its sales goals, which are relativly modest IMHO, we are talking about taking additional 2 billion in revenue from Big 3 compared to 2006 Tundra.

Thats what most people that dont work in sales dont understand - to make impact, you dont have to be #1 in sales. What you have to do is take sales. And this Tundra will do that.
Then stay tuned to autonews and see what the domestic conquest rate is for the new Tundra. I'm sure there's plenty of disgruntled domestic pickup truck owners that would potentially consider the Tundra, but then again the Titan hasn't exactly made any huge inroads. It shot itself in the foot though, because the quality on that truck was dismal. Maybe the Toyota will be better. But domestic truck owners are fiercely loyal, and even if it's a "better" truck they still might just stick with their domestics. Sorta like how the domestics are making a lot of perfectly good cars nowadays, but a lot of import owners will never seriously consider them because they just like their imports and are biased towards that side no matter how good the domestics might be. People tend to find something they like and stick with it no matter how good the competition is, and that happens on all sides.

This is why Toyota has been trying so hard to play themselves off as "America's car company" in their TV ads, and building the truck in Texas giving Texans jobs, and competing in the Nascar trucks series. They're trying to overcome all of the social obstacles to selling a non-domestic truck here. GM has done similar things by sending factory backed Pontiac GTOs to "import land" drift competitions.
Old 11-01-06, 03:27 PM
siamiam
Driver

im looking forward to Toyota's new full size truck, it should do pretty well and be very competitive.

i live in a heavy truck populated area and i know many people who will get rid of their domestic full size trucks for this new Toyota.

it would be great if they offered a Diesel, they would make a killing off of it.

the auto manufactures do their cold weather testing up here, i cant wait to see what they have this year.
Old 11-01-06, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I don't know as far as specifically half-ton (usually a diesel isn't offered), but the domestic pickup truck market is something like 40% turbodiesel.

Then stay tuned to autonews and see what the domestic conquest rate is for the new Tundra. I'm sure there's plenty of disgruntled domestic pickup truck owners that would potentially consider the Tundra, but then again the Titan hasn't exactly made any huge inroads. It shot itself in the foot though, because the quality on that truck was dismal. Maybe the Toyota will be better. But domestic truck owners are fiercely loyal, and even if it's a "better" truck they still might just stick with their domestics. Sorta like how the domestics are making a lot of perfectly good cars nowadays, but a lot of import owners will never seriously consider them because they just like their imports and are biased towards that side no matter how good the domestics might be. People tend to find something they like and stick with it no matter how good the competition is, and that happens on all sides.

This is why Toyota has been trying so hard to play themselves off as "America's car company" in their TV ads, and building the truck in Texas giving Texans jobs, and competing in the Nascar trucks series. They're trying to overcome all of the social obstacles to selling a non-domestic truck here. GM has done similar things by sending factory backed Pontiac GTOs to "import land" drift competitions.
keep in mind that current Tundra still sold 30%-50% better than Titan, and that Tundra sales are up, in 6th year of production...
Old 11-17-06, 11:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota Begins Tundra Production in San Antonio

New facility, 21 on-site suppliers invest nearly $1.6 billion, will employ
more than 4,000

SAN ANTONIO, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Toyota today celebrated the opening of Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX), the company's new $1.28 billion plant in San Antonio. Toyota officials, including ToyotaMotor Corporation honorary chairman Dr. Shoichiro Toyoda and president Katsuaki Watanabe, joined Texas Governor Rick Perry and other local officials to witness production of the first two all-new Tundra pickup
trucks.

To commemorate the event, Toyota announced a $600,000 donation to the National Center for Family Literacy (NCFL) to establish the Toyota Family
Literacy Program in three schools in San Antonio's Southwest Independent School District.

Toyota's San Antonio plant was announced in February 2003, andconstruction began later that year. When the plant reaches full operations next spring, it will have the capacity to produce 200,000 Tundra full-size
pickup trucks and employ 2,000 team members.

The plant's investment was originally estimated at $800 million, butgrew to approximately $1.28 billion because of a capacity expansion for 50,000 more trucks; rising material costs, especially for steel; andadditional infrastructure needed for the on-site suppliers.

Additionally, the 2,000-acre site houses 21 suppliers who produce parts and components and ship them directly into the plant. The on-site suppliers include seven minority-owned joint ventures, will employ 2,100 at full production, and have cumulatively invested approximately $300 million.

"As Toyota moves forward into a new era, this new plant is a dynamic symbol of our bright future," said Mr. Watanabe. "Here in Texas, we have assembled a great team of people, a great plant, and a great truck. Along with great people, this is one of the most advanced automotive plants on the earth. It has the latest in technology and is using the best production
and environmental techniques learned from 60 plants we operate around the world."

"Today is the culmination of nearly four years of hard work and dedication by all the members of Team Texas," said Hidehiko "T.J." Tajima, president of TMMTX. "It would have been impossible to reach this day without the strong partnership of our team members, construction partners, suppliers, and all those in the government and community. We now begin the
next stage in what will be a very long and very successful partnership with San Antonio, Bexar County and Texas."

"The full-size pickup truck market is, by far, the single-largest opportunity for Toyota's future growth plans in the U.S.," said Don Esmond, senior vice president of automotive operations, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.,
Inc. "Thanks to this highly-efficient plant, the in-house suppliers and all the team members, we plan to take full advantage of that opportunity. The
new Tundra will arrive in showrooms in February. Our production and sales goals are ambitious, yet realistic, and reflect our confidence in the product."

"When Toyota announced it would build a plant in Texas, it was the shot in the arm we needed to transform our economy and begin creating jobs in Texas again," said Texas Governor Rick Perry. "Today employment is at an all-time high, we have a record state surplus and the Texas economy is leading the nation. Toyota is an important part of the Texas economic
revival because their investment means thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in wages for Texas families."

Toyota (NYSE: TM) established operations in North America in 1957. By
2008, Toyota will have the annual capacity to build about 2 million cars
and trucks in 15 plants across North America. There are more than 1,700
Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships in North America, which sell more than
2.5 million vehicles a year. Toyota directly employs nearly 40,000 people
in North America. Toyota's investment in North America is valued at more
than $17.6 billion, and annual purchasing from North American suppliers
totals more than $29 billion.

SOURCE Toyota

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-17-06 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 02:08 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
They still need turbo diesel V8
u and ur turbo diesels
lol

actually i would love to see a diesel in the new tundra too
but we all have to wait to see what toyota can do with the shares of Isuzu it just bought off from GM...

does anyone have the torque spec of this engine yet???
Old 12-10-06, 07:08 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oe3Lk5Wgjw
Old 01-05-07, 10:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Mr Man

Just got some very reliable info...

The 5.7 liter engine will make 381hp at 5600rpm and 406 lb tq at 3600rpm.

5.7 will have dual variable valve timing, timing chain and 6 speed.

My source is still working on the 4.7 engine, and MPG numbers. Not as good a gm's MPG but not yet 100% sure.

morepower
Sales guy got Hi's brochures, heres what he said.(
Hey everybody,
Well we just got our brochures in and looks like the hp numbers were correct 381@5600RPM 406@3600RPM
Just thought I'd share) so it was true AFTER ALL.
Old 01-06-07, 01:23 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

my neighbor across the street (who is a toyota dealer/exec IDK) has a new Tundra, anybody want pics???

it's amusing he had a new camry before anybody else, his wife has a senna they also have an FJ cruiser...for X-mas his/her father pulled in with a '06 LS
Old 01-06-07, 06:45 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
for X-mas his/her father pulled in with a '06 LS
07?.........
Old 01-06-07, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
my neighbor across the street (who is a toyota dealer/exec IDK) has a new Tundra, anybody want pics???

it's amusing he had a new camry before anybody else, his wife has a senna they also have an FJ cruiser...for X-mas his/her father pulled in with a '06 LS
sounds like my family :-)
Old 01-06-07, 03:33 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Old 01-06-07, 03:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

damn, that side mirror is huge... if it hits you in the head, head is gone!
Old 01-06-07, 06:26 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, that side mirror is huge... if it hits you in the head, head is gone!
And I think they're folded.

Quick Reply: Toyota opens new front in truck war (381hp 5.7L engine)