Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrome Lexus IS250 at Australian Int. Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 01:33 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Lexus IS250 at Australian Int. Motor Show

Lexus presents luxurious flagship
The new flagship of the luxury Lexus marque and the most highly specified luxury sedan ever built by Lexus, LS460 will go on sale in Australia in the first half of 2007. LS460 will employ sophisticated electronically controlled air suspension linked with world-class vehicle safety controls including intuitive braking and the advanced Pre-Collision System. LS460 is the fourth generation of the LS400 series and is a completely new vehicle.

Lexus has undertaken a back-to-the-source evaluation of its exclusive manufacturing and engineering techniques and has designed LS460 to even higher standards than its predecessors. The LS460 is a different vehicle from the previous generation in many of its major components. There are no carryovers in the major areas of chassis, suspension, engine or driveline. The LS460 for Australia incorporates the world's first eight-speed automatic transmission.

The new vehicle epitomises the styling concept known as L-Finesse, shown for the first time on the GS Line and on the recently launched IS Line. While it is anticipated that Lexus LS460 will account for less than 10 per cent of total Lexus sales in Australia, it will be the flagship for the range.

"LS400 series has led Lexus since its inception," Lexus divisional manager Scott Grant said. "In 1989 it was the first Lexus launched in the world, and it was responsible for a comprehensive overhaul of the upper luxury market, especially amongst the long-standing European and American brands. Lexus is the most accomplished luxury start-up brand of recent times. It competes strongly now in the most discerning automotive market of all."

Lexus Australia has delivered more than 3100 LS400 series of a total 34,000 vehicles sold in Australia. "The highest sales of LS400 series in any year have been just over 400, which is entirely consistent with demand for the vehicle's competitors," Mr Grant said. "LS460 is not intended to be a high-volume vehicle. Like the flagships of all luxury ranges it is an exclusive vehicle to be appreciated by a fortunate few. Its influence throughout the Lexus range is undeniable and of benefit to all Lexus owners."
Lexus sells six models in Australia (made up of 13 variants) through 22 exclusive dealerships. Lexus has built around 900,000 LS400 series vehicles since 1989, accounting for just under one-quarter of total Lexus sales which are now approaching four million worldwide.

Lexus unveils reflection perfection
Lexus is revealing for the first time its showstopper IS250 in stunning Mirrachrome at the Australian International Motor Show. The concept chrome IS250 closely follows the L-finesse styling that has become synonymous with Lexus vehicles. The chrome design is the brainchild of the Lexus After Sales Division. It has been in production for several months.

"In researching the concept for the IS, I came across a chrome Lamborghini owned by American rap artist 50 Cent. It all came about from there," said a spokesperson. The vehicle on display is an Australian-specification IS250, which was produced in Japan. The 'chrome' is MirraChrome paint, applied in Victoria by the KMC Corporation.
In addition to the paintwork, the IS250 has been fitted with a new Lexus body kit - consisting of front lower spoiler, side skirts, rear lower skirt and a boot spoiler - which Lexus plans to introduce as a genuine Lexus Accessory late in 2006.

The alloy wheels on the chrome IS250 have been specially prepared for this vehicle, and are available in a polished alloy finish as accessory wheels to all IS250 owners.
Created for AIMS, the chrome IS250 will be showcased at various motor shows and Lexus dealerships around Australia at the conclusion of the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney.

The successful new IS250 Line has driven Lexus' growth this year. IS250, in its three model variants, has achieved double the demand of its predecessors - IS200 and IS300. In the first eight months of 2006 Lexus delivered 2242 IS250s, fewer than BMW's multi-range 3-Series but 200 vehicles more than the Mercedes-Benz C-Class range. Lexus IS250 is a 2.5-litre Quad Cam VVT-i sports sedan available in three variants and styled to Lexus' emerging policy of L-finesse.

Lexus expands hybrid family
Lexus is displaying its growing hybrid family at this year's Australian International Motor Show. Only last month Lexus launched in Australia the RX400h, the world's first hybrid petrol-electric luxury SUV, joining the luxury sports hybrid GS450h sedan, launched in May.

RX400h offers a major alternative to conventional petrol vehicles and the growing number of diesels in the luxury SUV segment. RX400h is the second hybrid Lexus to be released this year, with at least one more to come in 2007. Lexus expects the new hybrid to give the company additional impetus in the highly competitive market.

Demand is expected to be incremental just as it has been for the recently launched Lexus GS450h hybrid sedan. "Hybrid is Lexus' unique point of difference," said Scott Grant, divisional manager, Lexus Australia. The new RX400h is expected to provide customers with a unique alternative in a market which is fast filling with conventional solutions.

Customer demand for Lexus' recently released GS450h hybrid sports sedan has substantially exceeded planned supply rates. Registrations in the three months after the vehicle's launch were almost double the number expected, and fulfilment is limited by supply. Lexus dealers are now quoting a three-month order bank.

The success of the GS450h and RX400h has created a strong platform for the launch of flagship Lexus LS600hL in 2007. The long wheelbase Lexus LS600hL limousine will be the world's first upper-luxury petrol-electric hybrid and the world's first V8 hybrid. It will be the forerunner of a new breed of super-performance energy-efficient sedans. By the middle of next year hybrid models could account for almost 10 per cent of total Lexus take-up in Australia.

At that time Lexus will have become the first car maker to offer hybrid technology in a:

luxury car
luxury SUV
all-wheel drive, and
V8 version
The three vehicles are the forerunners of an even greater commitment by Lexus to the concept of hybrid technology. Lexus Australia has been delivering GS450h at an average of 29 new vehicles a month. Its plan for RX400h is almost double that figure.

"The RX Line has been in consistently strong demand since its launch in 2003," Mr Grant said. "RX is a true cross-over vehicle. It provides the flexibility of an SUV with the driving posture of a luxury passenger vehicle. Logic suggests that take-up of the RX400h hybrid will be relative to the greater sales volume of the RX."

Mr Grant said rising fuel prices on a global basis were making hybrid vehicles an even more attractive option, while daily use costs had reduced the perceived purchase threshold for hybrid. "It's possible now to foresee a real payback on the use of energy-saving technology," he said.

Lexus RX400h's fuel consumption measured by Australian standards was between 14 and 20 per cent more economical than automatic-transmission diesel vehicles in the luxury SUV segment. However, by far the greatest purchase determinant is still the inclusion of hybrid technology in a completely contemporary vehicle. Ninety-three per cent of Lexus RX400h buyers in the United States nominated hybrid technology as their primary reason for purchase.

"As every day goes by, hybrid is gaining traction as the sustainable and reasonable energy solution," Mr Grant said. "The ideal solution is to develop a protocol which works progressively towards using the barest minimum of fuel resources. Hybrid is not only the current solution; it is also the building block for the future."

Lexus heads for new sales record
Customer demand for Lexus in 2006 is likely to establish a new delivery record up to 20 per cent above the previous record set last year. Annualised registration figures for August point to a total of more than 7200 new Lexus sales in 2006. It will be the second successive year Lexus has increased deliveries by more than 900. In 2004 Lexus delivered 5009 vehicles and in 2005 it delivered 6005.

Demand for Lexus has outstripped its luxury rivals. In the first eight months of 2006 demand for Lexus increased 24.5 per cent according to statistician VFACTS - more than double its nearest rival. Lexus is Australia's third-largest luxury brand behind Mercedes-Benz and BMW and in front of Audi.

The success of the new IS250 line has driven Lexus' growth this year. In the first eight months of 2006 Lexus delivered 2242 IS250s, fewer than BMW's multi-range 3-Series but 200 vehicles more than the Mercedes-Benz C-Class range. Demand for IS250 has been almost double that for the combination of the two models it replaced, IS200 and IS300. Lexus IS250 is a 2.5-litre Quad Cam VVT-i sports sedan available in three variants and styled to Lexus' emerging policy of L-finesse.

Customer reaction to the new Lexus RX350 SUV has also been particularly strong. Lexus surged to the lead in the luxury SUV market for the first time on the strength of a record 1721 RX deliveries in the first eight months of 2006.

Lexus was launched in 1989 and began in Australia in 1990. It has become arguably the most successful start-up luxury brand of the last 25 years. Lexus has delivered around four million cars worldwide since 1989 and a total of 38,667 vehicles in Australia at the end of August. Lexus' 22 Australian dealers have helped establish a strong reputation for after-sales service which is regarded as a luxury industry standard.

"Lexus has established a genuinely good reputation with its customers, and increasingly that is drawing new people to the marque," Lexus Australia divisional manager Scott Grant said. "Hybrid will play an important part in establishing Lexus' future reputation. Hybrid is not a novelty. Increasingly it is becoming a viable alternative, one in which Lexus clearly has leadership."
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...nt.-motor-show
Old 10-25-06, 01:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That looks really cool!
Old 10-25-06, 03:08 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

The same way I felt when 50 Cent and the other guys who preceeded him did it, I feel the same way now. It looks damn good. Yes its loud and may cause some degeree of blindness under certain sunlight. I'm not a conservative guy hence my SC430 purchase. So yes I love the "chromed out" car. And I say that with pride like the "boys" from Queer Eye at a Village People concert. And If I had a few extra to play around with I'd probably have one of those cars in my fleet.
Old 10-25-06, 05:16 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Hoped too see a chromed out LX in like 2008.
Old 10-26-06, 01:58 AM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Yay right here.
Old 10-26-06, 07:41 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like it.
Old 10-26-06, 07:43 AM
LexFather

I've never seen a chromed car with black wheels.
THAT IS HOT HOT HOT!!!

The model can get it too!

Old 10-26-06, 10:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Car looks amazing!!!! Model is not half bad either.

What I don't get though - how is this chrome? It looks like a shiny gray color to me..... Awesome color though!