Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what dou think of dealer installed protections and other add ons at the time of sale?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
I'll still get the occasional comment from the finance guy but it will be quick and subtle like "I understand you're not interested in the extended warranty or paint protection so we'll skip this paperwork" they always have to get one last crack at it

The buisness managers HAVE to do this, SCRUFFDOGG.......usually on direct orders from the dealership's owner or General Manager. That is so people can't come back later and complain that they were not offered a chance to sign up for something. Even with some of the people I shop with where they know me or the people I'm with, they still have to ask, and do....they just don't pursue it, that's all, if we make it clear that it will be a waste of time.
Old 10-29-06, 01:23 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're supposed to ask and some actually have a policy where the customer has to sign paperwork saying they have been told of these offers and so decline. Some dealers do it through the finance guy, some have another salesman that does it while you're "waiting" for the finance person to get your paperwork ready, I don't put up with this for long and make it clear I better be signing paperwork and driving off in a half hour, haven't had to wait longer yet.
Old 10-29-06, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't put up with this for long and make it clear I better be signing paperwork and driving off in a half hour, haven't had to wait longer yet.
My advice is to NEVER drive off.......or even sign the purchase papers....without a THOROUGH outside and inside inspection of the car and a test-drive to make sure everything works and there are no problems in the steering, brakes, alignment, etc.....
That is one of the main reasons I shop with people...to do these inspections for them.
Impatience is not one of the things you want to have when buying a car.....trust me.
Old 10-30-06, 07:05 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My advice is to NEVER drive off.......or even sign the purchase papers....without a THOROUGH outside and inside inspection of the car and a test-drive to make sure everything works and there are no problems in the steering, brakes, alignment, etc.....
That is one of the main reasons I shop with people...to do these inspections for them.
Impatience is not one of the things you want to have when buying a car.....trust me.
Good advice, I'm talking about after I have agreed to purchase the vehicle, I have already drove it and inspected it. It's just paperwork at this time and that is when I put them on a time limit. Otherwise I've seen people sit there for hours while their car is getting prepped and paperwork is being done as they continue to get hit up for more dealer options.
Old 10-30-06, 08:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of these "packs" are simply profit enhancement for the dealer. LoJack is a great idea if you are driving a very high end car - a turbo Porsche or a Ferrari, but understand that while a Lexus is very difficult for a casual joy-rider to steal it is no real challenge for a professsional thief. But pros are only going to steal new cars - so once your car is a couple years old, the likelyhood of its being stolen drops pretty dramatically. If you consider LoJack, it is only really needed for a year or two, so you have to think about the value of that service over two years - not the life of the car.

The advantage of an aftermarket alarm is that they are all installed differently - no thief is going to know exactly how yours is wired up - or even located. The downside of all this is as mmarshall stated, the chances of screwing up a sophisticated electrical system is significant. I once had an aftermarket alarm that after several years triggered its siren at 50 mph on the freeway in heavy traffic. I got off the road ASAP and cut a lot of alarm wires before I silenced it. I never reconnected it.

Paint treatments can be OK, but regular surface maintenance and waxing is better. I bought the old $350 "Polyglycoat" package on my first Suburban. It was fire-engine red and with the silver trim, was simply beautiful. The interior I could have done with a $4 can of spray Scotchguard. After a couple of years I bought a home with a garage and decided to use the bottle of "restorer" that came with the package. It was actually a second application of the poly treatment. Back in those days, application was REALLY tough.

I never worked so hard in my life. That stuff could only be applied to a six inch square area at a time before it had to be RUBBED off and buffed out. It took me two full weekends to work my way around the 'Burb, and across the huge acreage of the top. When I was done, it was beautiful - and good for a couple more years. I was in pain for another week and not worth killing. I won't be doing that again soon. Put your money back in your pocket and HAVE your car professionally detailed and waxed a couple of times for the same price.
Old 10-30-06, 09:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Good advice, I'm talking about after I have agreed to purchase the vehicle, I have already drove it and inspected it. It's just paperwork at this time and that is when I put them on a time limit. Otherwise I've seen people sit there for hours while their car is getting prepped and paperwork is being done as they continue to get hit up for more dealer options.
My wife is brutal on this point. She tells the salesperson, you have 45 minutes from right now. If you can't get me in the car in 45 minutes, the deal is off. She's not joking either. I love taking her to buy cars!