Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Supra is to Shelby as an SC in to.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 04:42 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra is to Shelby as blank is to what?....

ever wonder what todays sports cars match up to with the 60's era muscle cars?
i would like your input and opinions for a fun little list ...

1) Like the title says, i think the supra is comparable to the Shelby Mustang. Killer sports car with the legendary name.
2) and if the supra is a mustang, i think the SC would be like a Cougar. Not as popular but has a die hard following, has the same components, and owners swear by it.
3) I think the skyline would be the corvette. Again another classic, and always up against Supras...
4) and the Z the camaros..... the ever popular but not at the same level with the Skylines.

Feel free to add your thoughts...

Last edited by BMwhat?; 10-29-06 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 10:37 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

BMwhat I think you are overstating the Supra a bit. The Supra doesn't quite live up to the Shelby name. While the Supra is a great car, it surely doesn't deserve a legendary status. Think about it, the history and racing heritage of the Shelby alone...

Anyways, your signature makes me laugh. BMWs are great. :P

Last edited by OC 335d; 10-29-06 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 10:45 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

If the Supra is to Shelby, than the SC just sucks.

However, the SC is great after you work on it -- a lot.
Old 10-29-06, 11:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I think the SC / Supra comparison is more like the Pontiac LeMans is to the GTO.
Old 10-29-06, 11:18 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think the SC / Supra comparison is more like the Pontiac LeMans is to the GTO.
Which Goat? Old or new?
Old 10-29-06, 11:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Which Goat? Old or new?
Old one. The new one wouldn't make sense for the analogy... the LeMans hasn't been made in some time and when it was it (South Korean Daewoo) definitely didn't remotely share any lineage with the GTO / Australian Holden. The LeMans (and prior to that, the Tempest) shared the same platform, etc with the GTO being either an option package off the same car or a sister offering to it (depending on the year).
Old 10-29-06, 11:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

The Supra may be popular, but street racing has no heritage. It's a dangerous and illegal activity that only proves trouble and therefore the Supra is merely another fast car with no racing heritage.

The next time I hear "the number 5 Supra driven by Mario Andretti has just passed the Lotus powered car in the 17th turn" ........... I'll give this thread a second thought.
Old 10-30-06, 01:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Mazda Miata to Austin Healey Bug Eyed Sprite
Old 10-30-06, 11:01 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Old one. The new one wouldn't make sense for the analogy
Gotcha, I had my head scratching for a bit, I'm way too young for the old one
Old 10-30-06, 11:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I say the Supra could be compared to the 67 Hemi Cuda & the SC can be compared to the Ford Fairlane . Carroll Shelby's cars are in a class by themselves. My dream machine is the 67 gt500.. the gt500
Old 10-30-06, 01:17 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Mazda Miata to Austin Healey Bug Eyed Sprite
If I had to compare the Miata to a similar car of the Sprite's era, I'd pick the Triumph Spitfire. The Spit was a much more refined car, but still sporty, and with an independent rear suspension, quite competitive at autocrosses and short sprints. The Sprite was truly a minimalist sports car - with just enough content to keep from being confused with a roller skate. It was essentially a 48hp go-cart that had been made (barely) street legal by adding lights, horn, and an emergency brake. It was horribly slow in stock trim, but responded very well to simple engine mods, thanks to its light weight.

The Bugeye's popularity in the US was due to its low cost and fine SCCA class racing, where it competed in H and I production depending on year and engine. It was a reasonably competent handler, and it didn't possess enough power to get you into SERIOUS trouble. The original Mk. 1 Sprite was capable of 0-60 in just over 20 seconds, with a top speed of about 70 mph if you had patience. The illusion of speed was considerable – with your tailbone only about two and a half inches above the street and your head sticking out over the windshield.

All in all, it was a perfect way for a novice to go club racing on a budget. Bolt in a roll bar, tape up the headlights, inflate the tires to 40 psi, and you’re a racer. The Sprite’s only real drawback was its size. If you were over 5' 7" and 135 lbs, if you could struggle in, you would have to have the car cut off of you to get out. Not many people of legal driving age today could get through the door with the top in place. The secret was to leave the top at home and step over the door and scoot down under the wheel

I helped a friend restore a Bugeye back in the late '70's, when we conspired with our office in Aberdeen to ship hard-to-get parts in amongst oilfield parts being returned for service. To give you an idea how truly small the Sprite was, when the new transmission arrived for his project, my friend simply tucked it under his arm and took it out to his car. Try that with your T-10 Toploader.
Old 10-30-06, 05:01 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The Supra may be popular, but street racing has no heritage. It's a dangerous and illegal activity that only proves trouble and therefore the Supra is merely another fast car with no racing heritage.

The next time I hear "the number 5 Supra driven by Mario Andretti has just passed the Lotus powered car in the 17th turn" ........... I'll give this thread a second thought.
hmm... good point, never really thought about it in the racing heritage sense. So whats your opinion on what the supra would be compared to?

And maybe i do think too much of the supra... since this car is my freakin unicorn...
Old 10-30-06, 05:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If I had to compare the Miata to a similar car of the Sprite's era, I'd pick the Triumph Spitfire. The Spit was a much more refined car, but still sporty, and with an independent rear suspension, quite competitive at autocrosses and short sprints. The Sprite was truly a minimalist sports car - with just enough content to keep from being confused with a roller skate. It was essentially a 48hp go-cart that had been made (barely) street legal by adding lights, horn, and an emergency brake. It was horribly slow in stock trim, but responded very well to simple engine mods, thanks to its light weight.

The Bugeye's popularity in the US was due to its low cost and fine SCCA class racing, where it competed in H and I production depending on year and engine. It was a reasonably competent handler, and it didn't possess enough power to get you into SERIOUS trouble. The original Mk. 1 Sprite was capable of 0-60 in just over 20 seconds, with a top speed of about 70 mph if you had patience. The illusion of speed was considerable – with your tailbone only about two and a half inches above the street and your head sticking out over the windshield.

All in all, it was a perfect way for a novice to go club racing on a budget. Bolt in a roll bar, tape up the headlights, inflate the tires to 40 psi, and you’re a racer. The Sprite’s only real drawback was its size. If you were over 5' 7" and 135 lbs, if you could struggle in, you would have to have the car cut off of you to get out. Not many people of legal driving age today could get through the door with the top in place. The secret was to leave the top at home and step over the door and scoot down under the wheel

I helped a friend restore a Bugeye back in the late '70's, when we conspired with our office in Aberdeen to ship hard-to-get parts in amongst oilfield parts being returned for service. To give you an idea how truly small the Sprite was, when the new transmission arrived for his project, my friend simply tucked it under his arm and took it out to his car. Try that with your T-10 Toploader.
id hafta say the Triumph TR4/5/6 would compare better with the S2000 in that theyr both tiny lightweight cars with LOADS more power than they rightfully deserved.

(sorry for the short response but i gots hw to do )