Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 335 Will Have A Hardtop Convertible... Lexus Lets Play Catch Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 01:41 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I wonder how the SC will do on the Nubergring compared to the 335c
I'll bet at least a 2 minute difference in lap times. That course heavily punishes soft suspensions.
Old 10-30-06, 02:20 PM
LexFather

The title of this thread is the spark which causes flames...I am not falling for it.
As for BMW vs Lexus from a hardtop standpoint, the SC 430 debuted in 2002, the 335 hardtop in 2006. 5 years.

For this segment, the 335 hardtop debuts not even first, as the Volvo C70 is now a hardtop. I think its great the 335 is now a hardtop.

Old 10-30-06, 02:42 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's not even fair to compare the BMW 3 convertible to the SC. The SC is a totally different car, I doubt you'll see people cross-shopping the two.
Old 10-30-06, 06:09 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the look of the SC430 - but one thing the BMW has going for it compared with the Lexus is that it has a usable back seat.

FWIW - I'll probably never own either car.
Old 10-30-06, 06:34 PM
gekisai29
Driver

the sc & 3 series are in totally different strata so why try to equate the two. imho lexus should have a convertible to compete headon with the 3's pricepoint
Old 10-30-06, 07:08 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

So a hardtop IS? Do we even know when the IS coupe is coming out, or if it is at all? I just see this as two totally disaparte markets; I don't think anyone will cross shop the SC and 335i hard top, and I am not really sure Lexus needs to play to that market with an IS hard top either.
Old 10-30-06, 07:19 PM
LexFather

The IS-C showed some of the IS styling cues and the upcoming coupe/hardtop convert.
Honestly, I've only seen "cough cough" info about the upcoming IS-F. I haven't heard much anything else about the coupe.

Maybe they are being really good at sneaking it but from MY understanding, Lexus was going to go TOE to TOE with the 3 with coupe/sedan/M3 fighter.

Old 10-30-06, 08:51 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
A couple of minor points..

The LS460 is not the first "self parking" vehicle. The Toyota Prius was in 2003. While you will say Toyota=Lexus, and rightfully so... you then need to revise your statement on reliability. While Toyota has kept reliability high on the Lexus line, they are slipping.. (as pointed out in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245824)

Specifically this statistic: "Toyota, for 2005, recalled 10.1 percent of its vehicles. GM, for 2005, recalled 6.8 percent of its vehicles, Honda recalled 4.0 percent of its vehicles, and Chrysler recalled 2.5 percent of its vehicles."

As far as Lexus being first with the hardtop convertible, Ford gets credit for that in 1957 and there were several others before the SC430. Maybe you mend first "before" BMW? To that point you are correct. I wouldn't go tooting your horn too much regarding innovation vs BMW, BMW has quite a long list that Toyota or Lexus cannot even begin to match.
Very good points.
Old 10-30-06, 08:52 PM
AudiMan
Driver

WTF...what kind of grandmothers are you??? why do you care so much about reliability?? its nice but i don't care that much about it. Most things that are super nice are super high maintainence. IMO if you're buying a 50k car and worry about spending extra money to maintain it then you probably can't really afford a 50k car...especially if you're a car enthusiast. I guess this is the mentality i have cuz of my Audi. I've had few problems with it but i'll still throw money into it to keep it in tip top shape cuz i love driving it. Perhaps the mentality here on CL is different.
Old 10-30-06, 08:54 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
my friend was arguing that the 7 series was the first to park itself.. is he wrong?

Apparently BMW has been developing this technology for a while now...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_qWyn0EiE
Old 10-30-06, 08:57 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JB IS350X
I believe the SC430 is a hardtop convertible..?

Nonetheless, Lexus still makes a BETTER and MORE RELIABLE vehicle.

Our time will come
Define better...
Old 10-30-06, 08:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMan
WTF...what kind of grandmothers are you??? why do you care so much about reliability?? its nice but i don't care that much about it. Most things that are super nice are super high maintainence. IMO if you're buying a 50k car and worry about spending extra money to maintain it then you probably can't really afford a 50k car...especially if you're a car enthusiast. I guess this is the mentality i have cuz of my Audi. I've had few problems with it but i'll still throw money into it to keep it in tip top shape cuz i love driving it. Perhaps the mentality here on CL is different.
Reliability is as much of a perk as great handling or the newest technology.

Personally, since I drive over 20k miles a year, I need a reliable car that won't die on me in L.A. freeways. I am quite aware that other cars may be more "fun" to drive, but being out-of-order on the side of the road is not my idea of "fun"...

I love Audi. I like their designs much better than BMW, and they provide an equally impressive driving thrill on the road. However, I bought a Lexus because of various reasons, including reliability. If I want to pump extra $$$ into my car, it would be for mods, not maintenance...
Old 10-30-06, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AudiMan
Clearly, a lot of happy grandmothers, being Lexus in 17 years is the 4th best selling luxury brand in the world and first in the USA going on 7 years.

There are some of us that don't understand nor will put up with ridiculous out of schedule maintenance. Especially if it is an only car or your personal car.

There are markets for everyone. Some people value reliability more than the image of other brands or their positive attributes.

Old 10-31-06, 02:18 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
A couple of minor points..
I wouldn't go tooting your horn too much regarding innovation vs BMW, BMW has quite a long list that Toyota or Lexus cannot even begin to match.
I'm curious about some of BMW's recent innovations.

Anyways accordign to businessweek's 2006 Most Innovative Companies
Toyota is ranked #4
BMW #16
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...7/b3981413.htm
Old 10-31-06, 02:24 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand the fascination with the 3er vs IS debates. As far as Lexus is concerned the ES350 is a much more lucrative vehicle, as is the RX350.

Quick Reply: New 335 Will Have A Hardtop Convertible... Lexus Lets Play Catch Up