Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB can't even get the basics right anymore!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 05:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Safest Cars of 2005
Vehicles that can save.
By Eric PetersEveryone knows which cars are fast -- Corvettes, Mustangs, Mitsubishi Evos -- but which cars are the safest cars on the road? According to government (www.nhtsa.dot.gov) and insurance industry (www.iihs.org) crash test data, the following cars are among the safest on the road in terms of their ability protect their occupants from being killed or injured in a crash:

Large Sedans:

Mercedes-Benz E Class (base price $50,500): Vault-like heavy steel construction and the presence of state-of-the-art passenger protection systems -- including head and torso-protecting side impact air bags -- make the E-Class extremely safe at any speed. These features also helped earn the E-Class an IIHS "Best Pick" rating among cars in its price/size range.

Volvo S80 (base price $36,365): Sweden's biggest automaker continues to build some of the most crashworthy vehicles you can buy -- at any price. The S80 received the highest possible scores in both government and IIHS crash testing -- and offers buyers the flexibility of available all-wheel-drive and fuel-efficient but powerful turbocharged inline five and six-cylinder engines.

Mid-Sized Sedans:

*Honda Accord (base price $16,295): One of the safest -- and most affordable -- ways to carry your family, the Accord received a perfect 5 Star rating for both front and rear seat occupant protection in both frontal and side-impact crashes. New for '05 is a hybrid gas-electric powertrain option that pushes the fuel efficiency envelope to an economy car-like 40 mpg, but without compromising the inherently better occupant protection of a larger, mid-sized car.

Mitsubishi Galant (base price $18,999): Comparable in size, roominess and power to the segment powerhouses -- Honda's Accord and the Toyota Camry -- the Galant also offers comparable levels of crash protection -- earning a 5 Star rating in most crash tests and an overall IIHS Rating of "Good" ( the highest possible) in a more aggressively styled, different drummer shape.

Small Cars:

Chevy Cobalt (base price $13,625 ): The successor to the Cavalier as Chevy's entry-level compact can be equipped with side-curtain air bags -- and prelimary data indicates this will score vastly better than its predecessor in government and IIHS crash testing. It can be equipped with a 205-hp supercharged engine in the sport-themed Cobalt SS

Toyota Corolla (base price $13,780): One of the most popular small cars ever built, the Corolla is also built to take a hit -- with the latest "multi-stage" air bags that adjust the force of their deployment based on the severity of the crash. Corollas can also be equipped with electronic stability control -- a very unusual feature in this price range. The Corolla earned the best-possible 5 Star rating in government crash testing.
thats because US govt tests have been to easy for a while now. For instance, in Europe, Corolla is below average in safety, due to design from 2002. It is definetly not the safest car.
Old 11-01-06, 09:25 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because US govt tests have been to easy for a while now. For instance, in Europe, Corolla is below average in safety, due to design from 2002. It is definetly not the safest car.
Agreed - Forbes just rated it one of the 10 least safe cars. I don't fully understand their reasoning - I think some of it comes from the fact that side airbags are optional on the car and that ticked them off.
Old 11-01-06, 10:40 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
huh? And other manufacturers dont do that? Since when? While MB has been best german manufacturer when it comes to safety, Renault vehicles get better scores than similary sized MB's. Are you suggesting that they do so without research?
To my knowledge, Mercedes has the only dedicated, full-time engineering group that travels to the scene of major accidents specifically to gather data on the performance of the vehicle's safety systems.

I saw one at the scene of an accident a few miles outside Winnie, TX - an S-class sedan approaching a "Y" intersection, evidently at a VERY high rate of speed, selected "none of the above" from the options and plowed and rolled its way through a grassy field. A new flatbed tow truck and two carloads of blue-smocked investigators with the large white tri-star on the back rolled up on the scene, spoke to the DPS (highway patrol) officers controlling the investigation and began taking photos, measurements, and notes.

The big sedan was rolled up into an almost unrecognizable ball, and a couple hours later as I passed the scene again, they were loading the carcass onto the flatbed in preparation to haul it away. I don't know of another manufacturer anywhere that would travel 90 miles from any kind of civilization just to look at an ex-car. (so much for the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" reference!)
Old 11-01-06, 10:53 PM
LexFather

Well me and 3 other people are confident in how well a Lexus holds up.....

Old 11-02-06, 12:10 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people just have way too much time on their hands.

Old 11-03-06, 08:10 AM
Ullevi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by newr
G=Good; A=Acceptable; M=Marginal; P=Poor

from the same source
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=10

You are barking at the 07 E for getting (A) acceptable rating for side impact when the 07 GS get (M) marginal rating for rear impact. The differrence between A & M can be life and death
Sorry to burst your bubble,but the frontal and side impact tests examine the protection offered by the integrity of the car itself.

The rear impact test specifically looks at the risk of a whiplash type injury in a rear shunt situation-they actually perform this test with the dummy seated in the car seat on a track.In other words,it has nothing to do with the structural protection of the car body itself.

I know where I would rather have decent protection.

Hmmm,a bit of whiplash from some bozo rear ending me,or my head and thorax caved in from a side impact?

Yeah,tough choice.
Old 11-03-06, 09:06 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

All I know is that Audi builds some of the safest cars in the world and probably of any manufacturer.

Audi Leads Industry with Three Models Named "Top Safety Pick" by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Last edited by mavericck; 11-03-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-03-06, 11:51 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ullevi
Sorry to burst your bubble,but the frontal and side impact tests examine the protection offered by the integrity of the car itself.

The rear impact test specifically looks at the risk of a whiplash type injury in a rear shunt situation-they actually perform this test with the dummy seated in the car seat on a track.In other words,it has nothing to do with the structural protection of the car body itself.

Hmmm,a bit of whiplash from some bozo rear ending me,or my head and thorax caved in from a side impact?

Yeah,tough choice.
That was not how I wanted to get my point across. I was not directly comparing side impact to rear impact. From the driver seat, I have roughly about 6-8 inches of protection on the side vs at least 6 feet from the rear. The choice is obvious, don't you think?
Old 11-03-06, 12:50 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ullevi

Yeah,tough choice.
Or would you rather have whiplash and possibly crack the cervical vertebrae?

Tough choices. Maybe I'll just walk and forget about it all.