Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 08:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stunning fact about the last gen x5. I can only imagine the new one.

Laps Nurburgring in just 9 minutes 30 seconds (M3 takes 9 mins.)
It can sure fly
Old 10-31-06, 08:31 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Ask anyone, I'll down talk an X5, but respect where respect is due.

Besides, whatever magazine article you find --- it's all opinions anyways. Plus latest Motortrend compared a buncha SUV's and X5 4.8is won first place.

Magazine reviews are just a bunch of ****. User reviews are where it's at kids. Realize this and you're ahead of the pack.

And for the guy that doubts the X5 can't go 140mph, I bet you won't believe the Mercedes S600 can't do 0-60 in under 4 seconds right? Or an E55 can't run 10 second 1/4mi's?
We live in a world where anything can happen. Where Jeeps run 4.5s 0-60's.
Old 10-31-06, 08:49 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend ordered one in monaco blue 4.8. It should arrives sometimes in Jan.

Personally, I think there's no other SUV (or SAV) that can even come close to X5 in beauty contest. The car looks so amazing inside out. And I have no doubt that the car will drive nicely and handle very well. I am just not too sure about the reliability.
Old 10-31-06, 08:53 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone I help build these beautiful X5's
Old 10-31-06, 08:56 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
My girlfriend ordered one in monaco blue 4.8. It should arrives sometimes in Jan.

Personally, I think there's no other SUV (or SAV) that can even come close to X5 in beauty contest. The car looks so amazing inside out. And I have no doubt that the car will drive nicely and handle very well. I am just not too sure about the reliability.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer(be)holder.

Shawnmack - Then I guess you can tell my why I'm on my second tranny?
Old 10-31-06, 08:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
benchmark huh?

not according to C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...nch-page8.html
They had the 3.0i version so it was hindered by that. And it's criticized for lack of space (now addressed).

Again, concerns were space, and this time, price. But it says: "That said, we still thoroughly enjoyed the Bimmer, and several staffers would've picked it for themselves if money and passenger capacity were no object. The fact that the highly desirable X5 is going to be entering its sixth year in its current form is testament to the ability of BMW to nail it the first time around."

BMW's point is that the X5 isn't for everyone ... it hasn't had the space of 'regular' SUVs, and of course iDrive and its price have been turnoffs for many. But like the FX45, it's about driving with some utility, and there in every review you posted, it shines.

And now we have a new one. With more space.

And again, in this FOUR YEAR OLD comparison, the DETAILS show the same thing - they like the MDX for functionality and value, and the BMW for driving!

On this comparison of high end 'sporty' SUV/SAVs - the BMW is "out-BMWed" by a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a V10 Toureg (basically a Cayenne with a different engine). BMW would need to make a "M" verison to compete with those bad boys.

Again, the details are important... "... $1600 Sport package would make it competitive ... Best fuel economy and range of the bunch ... Once the performance sport/ute benchmark, the four-year-old X5 4.4i is due for replacement"

And guess what, we have a new one.

The X5 is not the 3er.
That's true. The X5 is not for everyone. But it did create a new type of vehicle when launched in 2000.

The fact that in your links it's compared to an MDX as well as a Cayenne Turbo says something too... but compared with those bookends it comes down to what you're looking for (or what the emphasis of the comparison is - performance or utility - the X5 is better than more on performance, and worse than most on utility).

Regardless of what we say though the X5 has been a runaway success for BMW and will continue to do well. This new one is a much better package than the old one.
Old 10-31-06, 09:49 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I love how they didn't go to overboard on the redesign, imo nicer than the new MDX... but I still have my heart on a GX or LX.
Old 10-31-06, 11:31 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

i assume those are all based on the old x5, which isnt surprising. the new one is actually nicer than its predecessor. cant say that about new bmw's these days. they finally got one right.
Old 10-31-06, 01:12 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not liking the styling of the new X5 and i love me some Lexus probably there biggest fan but the 1st X5 is probably the baddest SUV on the road. Stylish, Luxurious, capable off road and highly capable on road. The first carlike SUV to offer carlike acceleration as well as car like ride and handling. I cant say enough good about X5 and i havent even driven it yet.
Old 10-31-06, 01:26 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by STIG

I used to feel that way too, till I checked out the Audi Q7. Every bit as good as the X5 with a far superior interior to boot.
Old 10-31-06, 01:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The one thing that I don't like about x5's, and the sole reason I passed on buying one is that it is assembled in the USA, unlike the X3 which is made in Austria. Questionable build quality I love the new look though
Old 10-31-06, 02:51 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i assume those are all based on the old x5, which isnt surprising. the new one is actually nicer than its predecessor. cant say that about new bmw's these days. they finally got one right.
They are based on the 2000 model, with updates and cosmetic changes but it's still basically the 00 model against 04-06's in all of those comparo's
Old 10-31-06, 04:08 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
On this comparison of high end 'sporty' SUV/SAVs - the BMW is "out-BMWed" by a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a V10 Toureg (basically a Cayenne with a different engine). BMW would need to make a "M" verison to compete with those bad boys.
Too bad BMW has said they will not make a M version of this or the 7 series because they feel those cars are not sporty enough. Don't have a link, but I remembered reading this.
Old 10-31-06, 04:30 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
benchmark huh?
The X5 is not the 3er.
I think that you're asking the wrong question. The guy you are replying to says: "The benchmark is back".
I think that you can definitely ask "Back, huh?", based on the reviews you've cited. However, those reviews are for the old model and the review that is the topic of this thread is for the new model, so it is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. Also, some of the reviews were off-road based (where BMW cannot take 1st) and in some cases, an I6 model was squared off against V8 competition (Touareg, for example). Infinity's FX was at least the bimmer's equal, dynamically (pavement) when it came out, though.

Also, people that think that weight makes a vehicle stable at high speeds need to drive a heavy vehicle with a soft suspension to appreciate just how quickly it becomes unstable (a handful) on a less than glass smooth roads as speeds increase. It seems to me that there are 2 components to high-speed stability: 1) Body control (suspension) and 2) Weight. The former has to do with firmer shocks/springs/suspension geometry and tuning and nothing to do with weight. The latter is a combination of weight, lift and downforce at speed. If a car is not producing a large lift at speed, there is no reason for it to be unstable, like the poster suggests, even if it weighs significantly less than 4000 lbs.
Old 10-31-06, 05:05 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

well I'm up next for a car next year and I'm not saying what I'm getting :angel: but it'll probably be between this and an RX350 for my wife. New X5 looks hot so far, but I'm not big on the 400 lb weight increase. Good grief, will that thing even move with the 3.0 NA I-6 anymore? Might only consider the V8 then, or maybe they'll put the TT in it.

Quick Reply: Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW X5