Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Post Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW X5

http://www.edmunds.com/insidel....*#18

BMW of North America head honcho Tom Purves doesn't like when you call the 2007 BMW X5 a sport-utility vehicle.

We're not sure that we even finished pronouncing the "U" in SUV before Purves piped in, "S-A-V!" All right sure, it's a "Sport Activity Vehicle."

We didn't mean anything by it. It's just that, like its predecessor, the new X5 is one of those vehicles that's kind of tall, has four side doors, all-wheel drive and other, you know, SUV-like characteristics. We call the "four-door coupe" Mercedes CLS a sedan, too. We're just like that.

However fine a hair BMW might be splitting with its alternative acronym, the original X5's combination of sporty handling and limited utility made it distinctly different from any other SUV of the time. Thanks largely to the X5's success, that's certainly less true today. The list of vehicles that BMW might describe as SAVs is getting long and includes the Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Cadillac SRX, Infiniti FX, Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover Sport.

The shape of things
The handsome new X5 is an evolution of that original, um, SAV concept. Its look is familiar. The little ducktail detail on the tailgate remains, as do the tailpipes that exit from the rear bumper cover.

But now sharp creases break the flow of the X5's curved panels in a curiously pleasant way. This surface drama also gives the X5 more than a passing resemblance to a tomatillo with its husk still intact. The new X5 has grown slightly taller and wider, but it's really only the stretched overall length that changes the look of the thing. It is 7.4 inches longer than the outgoing model, with 4.5 inches of that increase given to the wheelbase. The result is a more planted, station-wagonlike appearance compared to the tall-and-tippy look of the original X5.

This subtly more stable look accurately telegraphs the evolutionary changes of the X5's driving behavior.

Ride, handling, whip and whoa
If the original X5 had a major fault, it was its sometimes flinty ride. But the '07 model barrels down the highway with the stability and serenity of a large luxury sedan. This is particularly impressive given that the standard wheels on all X5s (3.0 and 4.8 alike) are 18-inchers, wearing run-flat tires.

And it hasn't traded any of its signature handling prowess for this improved comfort. In fact, the X5 handles brilliantly. The narrow, rain-soaked roads we drove should have made driving this 5335-pound SUV feel like riding a pig wearing roller blades. Yet, even without the optional sport package (electronically adjustable dampers, trick antiroll bars, 19-inch wheels), we could place the X5 with surprising accuracy. The front end bites with unexpected tenacity and will hold its line without correction. It's easy to flow smoothly through transitions without the disconcerting weight transfers normally associated with SUVs. How much of this can be attributed to the new double-wishbone front suspension (the first non-strut front on a BMW since 1961), we cannot say.

Although a new 260-horsepower 3.0-liter inline-6 is the new X5's base motor, BMW had only V8s available for testing. The new 4.8-liter makes an impressive 350 hp and 350 pound-feet of torque (an increase of 35 hp and 26 lb-ft compared to the outgoing 4.4-liter). Paired with the new quick-shifting six-speed automatic, the X5 4.8 should be able to reach 60 mph in 6.4 seconds. That's almost a half-second quicker than the old V8 model despite a weight increase of 408 pounds.

As we've come to expect from the X5, and from BMW in general, braking performance is excellent. To compensate for its increased heft, the company has enlarged the new model's brake discs, by about half an inch up front and almost a full inch in the rear.

More utility ability
And hey, the cargo hold of the X5 is now larger than that of the 5 Series wagon, something that could not be said of the original. So there is a little "U" in this SAV. Into this slightly larger rear, the company will install what it calls a "third row of seats." They — two mini-seats separated by cupholders — could be straight outta Gitmo. Even BMW doesn't recommend that anyone taller than 5 feet, 5 inches sit back there. In truth, no human should be forced to. And without LATCH attachments they aren't ideal for safety-seat-bound toddlers either. They are useless, but at $1,200, they are not cheap. Unless you regularly carry 1:18-scale adult passengers or have children badly in need of punishment, forget them.

The interior is a new design and is handsome and comfortable, with a particularly nice driving position — halfway between a Land Rover LR3 and a BMW sedan. The materials are of excellent quality and the craftsmanship is top-notch. Rear-seat legroom is excellent.

Ay-yi-iDrive
The only sour notes in the interior are on the center console, where both an iDrive **** and a heavily designed electronic shifter have found a home. Despite half a decade on the market, iDrive is no more intuitive than it was at introduction. In our test vehicle, which had neither a navigation system nor a rearview camera (both are part of an option package that adds $2,600 to the V8's $55,195 base price), the iDrive was simply an unnecessarily complicated way to change the radio station.

The shifter, which is roughly the shape of a New York strip steak, operates something like the little spring-loaded stalk shifter of the 7 Series. You toggle forward for Reverse, backward for Drive and push a button on top for Park. BMW says that the shifter's oddness allows for more center console space, compared to a conventional automatic shifter. The company says this made room for two sizable cupholders. Indeed there are two cupholders. They are not, however, as large as those in many vehicles with conventional shifters. And they are not, as the company claims, Big Gulp-ready.

But as Tom Purves would surely point out, utility was never really the point of the X5. It still isn't. The goal was to build a premium SUV-like thing that handles like a BMW. With more luxury, surer handling and just a pinch of additional utility, the new X5 remains atop that niche — whatever you call it.

Old 10-31-06, 06:44 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the benchmark is back and better than ever. I love the way it looks, its too bad iDrive is still around.
Old 10-31-06, 06:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I can't think of any good reason for that vehicle to weigh 5335 pounds. My gawd...
Old 10-31-06, 07:07 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

benchmark huh?

not according to C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...nch-page8.html

or edmunds
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...3/pageId=60870

ties MDX for 1st
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...7/pageId=27379

or Motortrend
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../pictures.html

last place
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ne_engine.html

The X5 is not the 3er.
Old 10-31-06, 07:07 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I can't think of any good reason for that vehicle to weigh 5335 pounds. My gawd...
Because at 140mph+ it feels stable.
And (1sicklex said the weight I think) the LS430 is at 3900lb and at 90mph+ the car seems hella unstable.

Perhaps it's the 255mm tires vs the 225mm tires?

Edit: If you haven't driven an X5 (not you specifically, just to anyone) shut up. The X5 is the benchmark of all sport SAV's. Sure it can't off road (I would know) but it sure as hell drives like a BEAST. I had a 4.4i for a year and a half or so and I raped that beast. It handles very well compared to an LX, a G500, and a slew of other trucks. However it gives up a lot of 'truck' to be a lot more 'car'.

In my opinion sport SUV's like the X5, Cayenne, FX45, and what are the coolest things in the world. I could carry five people, all their luggage to go to a 2 month vacation around the world, and go through some pretty good water (flooding perhaps?) or some snow thanks to awd or almost anything that would stop a Mercedes 4matic or something and do it QUICKLY

Last edited by vraa; 10-31-06 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-31-06, 07:10 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vraa
Because at 140mph+ it feels stable.
And (1sicklex said the weight I think) the LS430 is at 3900lb and at 90mph+ the car seems hella unstable.

Perhaps it's the 255mm tires vs the 225mm tires?
good luck getting the x5 anywhere near 140, they're saying 150mph though I'd imagine it'd be flying before then.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 10-31-06 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-31-06, 07:12 AM
LexFather

Wow, I truly had no idea it was basically a midpack SUV...Wow. This was shocking to read
Certainly, the X5 is a beauty inside and out, and we can appreciate its flawless build, communicative driving dynamics, and strict adherence to BMW values. However, the X5 just can't run with this capable pack at the track.

Old 10-31-06, 07:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is amazing how folks can be hipocritical about BMW's SAV's when they have not driven them. The X5/X3 is no Lexus Rx350 or Acura MDX. It is amazingly stable at speed. It feels so sports car like than any SUV on the market and even some cars including every Lexus vehicle down the line. Yes, at 140 this truck will be glued to the road. You can do 90 on a turn with no fret of rolling over. BMW's beg to be driven hard. My X3 handles suprisingly better than my GS400 with the Bilstein coilovers.
Old 10-31-06, 07:25 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
good luck getting the x5 anywhere near 140, they're saying 150mph though I'd imagine it'd be flying before then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHPMIx0fdCI

oh and the X5 pretty much invented this market segment, so in that respect it's the benchmark.
Old 10-31-06, 07:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It is amazing how folks can be hipocritical about BMW's SAV's when they have not driven them. The X5/X3 is no Lexus Rx350 or Acura MDX. It is amazing stable with flat cornering and amazing stability at speed. It feels sports car like than any SUV on the market and even some cars including every Lexus vehicle down the line. Yes, at 140 this truck will be glued to the road. You can do 90 on a turn with no fret of rolling over. BMW's beg to be driven hard. My X3 handles suprisingly better than my GS400 with the Bilstein coilovers.
1. No one posting in here has been hypocritical. They are REPEATING what the EXPERTS said.
2. The X5 is clearly sportier than the RX, that is ITS INTENTION. The RX is NOT INTENDED to be first rate sporty.
3. I've driven these SUVs and I was expecting to hate the X5 but I was SHOCKED at how well it drove. I have said that MANY TIMES in threads in this forum.
4. Now doing 140 in a SUV or turning at 90 degrees is just RIDICULOUS in a SUV. ANY SUV.
5. Every X3 review I have read pretty much bashes this SUV as the worst BMW made. I didn't say it. The experts did. I posted links of this before and won't do it again.

My recommendation to you and to ALL in this thread and any thread is to READ what people WRITE before just posting off in a tangent. Too many times people just want to argue when there REALLY IS NOTHING TO DEBATE.

Old 10-31-06, 07:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I just absolutely love the interior (and exterior).
Old 10-31-06, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Now, to Mr. Jones CREDIT, he has posted links showing PROOF that the X5 did not finish first in ANY review (tied for one). Even I was unaware of that.

No one is saying the X5 is a bad SUV. All he did was LINK something to BACK UP the statement, the X5 IS NOT the benchmark.

Until someone posts links proving OTHEWISE, showing it has been #1 time and time again, his point is valid.

This is one of those times people need to SEPARATE FACTS from OPINIONS.

I did NOT take my TIME to post this THREAD to see people TURN IT INTO CRAP.

Old 10-31-06, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg

I just absolutely love the interior (and exterior).
I will say what I said on VWvortex, am I allowed to say this looks fantastic inside and out?
IMO, it looks really good, especially the interior.

Old 10-31-06, 07:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. No one posting in here has been hypocritical. They are REPEATING what the EXPERTS said.
2. The X5 is clearly sportier than the RX, that is ITS INTENTION. The RX is NOT INTENDED to be first rate sporty.
3. I've driven these SUVs and I was expecting to hate the X5 but I was SHOCKED at how well it drove. I have said that MANY TIMES in threads in this forum.
4. Now doing 140 in a SUV or turning at 90 degrees is just RIDICULOUS in a SUV. ANY SUV.
5. Every X3 review I have read pretty much bashes this SUV as the worst BMW made. I didn't say it. The experts did. I posted links of this before and won't do it again.

My recommendation to you and to ALL in this thread and any thread is to READ what people WRITE before just posting off in a tangent. Too many times people just want to argue when there REALLY IS NOTHING TO DEBATE.
What would this statement be considered?
benchmark huh?
and this
That would be considered questioning the vehicles standing in the market place
What vehicle in the world can turn at 90 degrees? That would be an amazing feat...I said 90 on a turn.

LOL..Who is turning this into a debate? This is car chat if I'm not mistaken. There will be varying opinions on a variety of car based topics. I merely stated that folks should not be hipocritical regarding BMW's SAV's if they have not driven them. I've read all of the reviews regarding the X3, and it has not changed my view and the thousands that purchased the vehicle. All blah blah blah. It's like a critic rating a movie, I don't have to listen to them..
I love it so far and do not regret the purchase. In this world there are the haves and have nots. If you have driven the vehicle or own the vehicle, you can better assess it. If you have not owned the vehicle or driven the vehicle to put it mildly, hush up. I can't be hipocritical regarding the Infiniti G35 in the other thread, as I have not driven or owned the vehicle.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 10-31-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-31-06, 08:15 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright stop the bickering....lol

I luv this truck.... funny thing is I have a good friend who owns a 2006 Cayenne and I had to be honest and tell him that the x5 seems to drive better and has a better interior.... Sad part is that under "duress"..he agreed....

Quick Reply: Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW X5