Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MX5

IN a NUTSHELL: The world's most ubiquitous sports car gets slightly more refined and less of a sardine can for large people.

Well, a bright, sunny day in the D.C area today; not a cloud in the sky, mild, mid-70's....a perfect day to drive ( you got it ) a nice convertible.
I realized that I had not yet reviewed the latest Mazda MX-5 Miata, a car that just lives for days just like this. That, and the fact that so many guys going through mid-life crisis end up getting one, and the fact that the car has always been popular with women ( some of my female friends and acquaintenances have also asked me about the new one ) and I decided that today was the day to go on down to the Mazda shop and ( from past experience ) try and shoehorn my oversized frame into one and pound my way over bumps like the old one did...only the new one doesn't pound quite so hard, and the classical sardine-can cabin of the old one can take slightly ( just slightly ) larger sardines now. Years ago, in the 1980's and early 90's, I drove Mazdas myself and bought some cars from this shop but, of course, it has all different people and management now.
Anyhow, they had moved all of the new Miatas into the back of the lot now that the peak spring-summer Miata selling season is over, so they needed someone to come along and crank them up and get the oil flowing and the batteries charged up again. Even though a new folding-hardtop model is now available for about $1900 extra, the standard fabric top is so easy-to-use that unless you live in a questionable or seedy area for vandals and car thieves, the traditional soft-top model makes more sense and is cheaper to boot ( no pun intended ).
In this gridlocked area, there is no question that an automatic or automanual transmission makes more sense for daily driving, but let's face it....on this car, gridlock of no gridlock, anything but a pure traditional manual would border on heresy, anything else would just not be in character with the spirit of driving a Miata. Add to that that the new clutch and gearbox is even better and easier-shifting than before, and the choice was obvious.....a manual-transmission soft-top, even though the car IS available with a sport automatic with paddle-shift for those who don't want a clutch at all, even as nice a one as this car has.

Mazda introduced the MX-5 Miata in July 1989 as a modern-day successor to the old British 2-seat sports cars of the 50's and 60's that generally drove down the road shedding parts behind them...their quality levels were atrocious. Ill-fitting side curtains that leaked like a sieve often took the place of real glass windows. Oil usually ran out on the driveway...or anything else you parked the car on....the British idea of gaskets was something that sealed off liquids about as well as a piece of Swiss Cheese. The infamous Lucas electrical systems would short out or catch fire about once a week if you were lucky...more if you weren't.
Shifting the non-synchro or partial-synchro manual boxes without mastering the art of double-clutching or throttle-blip / rev-matching produced cruched gear-crunches that would assault your ears ( and the gear-teeth ) day and night. ( Night, of course, providing that the Lucas headlights actually WORKED ). All of this.......just to get the razor-sharp handling, glued-to-the-road steering feel, and sense of intimacy between man and machine that these cars were so well-known for.
Well, some of the folks at Mazda decided, almost 10 years after the last of them, the wedge-shaped Triumph TR8, had left the American market, that the time had come to combine the best of what these cars had to offer.....an intimate driving experience........with the best of what Japan had to offer.....reliability, build quality, and state-of-the-art engineering. So....the engineers at the Japanese company best-known for the famous Kansai driving experience and its emphasis on steering feel and BMW-like response put their heads together and came up with the original 1990 MX-5 Miata. The car was an instant hit....Mazda sold far more of them in the first year than planned, and it quickly became a cult car as autocross, rally, and gymkana groups embraced it in droves....as did the ladies for its miniscule and bright-colored " cuteness " and easy-to-fold top. Dealers, not surprisingly, padded the second-stickers well to ensure profiteering, ( my local Mazda dealer was one of the few to sell them at list ).
The Miata went on to become the best-selling sports car in history. Almost annually, special-edition and limited-production models were introduced, with some of the most popular, not surprisingly, being in the British Racing Green color with tan leather seats. And, unlike other " sports cars " of the period that were really more like GT tourers, the Miata, with each redesign, stayed more or less true to its roots...a pure, no-nonsense live-it-up sports car for the masses, though as time went on the price crept up a little and more features were offered. The latest-generation model improves on its predecessors in a number of areas, including a slightly roomier interior for large people like me, fixed headlights that eliminate the problems of the flip-up lights failing ( although they were usually quite reliable ), a refined clutch and shifter with lower effort ( which, as we'll soon see, is superb ), a slightly larger engine with more HP and torque but still somewhat underpowered engine for a real drivers' car, an even easier-to-use folding top with only one header latch to flip now instead of two, and a tilt steering wheel that allows BIG legs like mine to finally fit under it reasonably well, after some 15 years of having to do pretzel-contortions. Paint colors, unfortunately, are more in line with the Town Cars at Murphy's Funeral Home than with a cheery, sunny-day driver's car convertible, the bright red being the only exception.

So.....let's take a look now at the world's most popular sports car in more detail.

Model Reviewed: 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport.

Base Price: $21,435

Major Options: Convienence package: $1055

Freight: $595

Price as Reviewed: $23,085

Exterior Color: Galaxy Gray Mica
Interior: Black Cloth

Drivetrain: RWD, 2.0L DOHC in-line 4 with VTEC, 166 HP @ 6700 RPM, 140 ft.-lbs. torque @ 5000 RPM,
5-speed short-throw manual transmission.

( 163 ft.lbs.@ 6700 RPM with Sport Automatic transmission )

PLUSSES:

A blast to drive on narrow, curvy roads.

Bargain price.

Extremely good reliability record....one of Consumer Reports' Ten Best.

Super-easy-to-use manual transmission and clutch.

Right-now steering.

FIRM brake pedal.

Much better ride than before....still a little on the stiff side. ( Yes, you expect that with a sports car ).

Good trunk space for such a small convertible.

Well-designed gauges and controls, with a pleasant lack of electronic video nonsense.

Extremely short turning radius.

Good but not outstanding paint job.

Super-easy-to-fold top.

Tilt-steering wheel ( finally ) gives more room for big legs and frames.

Good stereo for a car primarily designed to be driven topless.

Fairly rigid, state-of-the-art convertible structure minimizes cowl flex even with the top down.

Slightly more room inside than previous models.

Fixed headlights eliminate the one-eyed-frog look when a folding-light door malfunctions.

Good interior hardware.

More sophisticated and better-refined suspension than previous models.

Folding-hardtop model now available for those who want more security.

MINUSES:

Not a car for NBA guys.

Traditional easy convertible break-ins, with soft-top, for vandals and thieves.

Poorly suited for long-distance, Interstate driving.

Even more poorly suited for wet/slick roads.

Not much low-end torque, even with a manual transmission.

Low roof line still cramps tall drivers....not as bad as before.

Cheap looking hard plastic door panels vibrate when door is closed..

Right outside mirror too small.

Tin-can hood and trunk lids.

Small, closely-spaced gas and brake pedals awkward for big feet ( like mine ).

Very low ground clearance over obstacles.

Awkward unidirectional engine oil dipstick.

Gas-flap and trunk-release buttons awkwardly located.

Rather dull paint colors for a classic sports car.

No place for the seat back to recline.

Too much black monotone inside on base model for my tastes.

Steering-wheel-mounted stereo controls take away from the sport-look somewhat.

Although the new car is slightly larger than the old one, it still is almost like an insect as you walk up to it. The car still underwhelms you with its small physical size and low stance to the ground. However, it is obvious at a glance that this model is different than before, with its new fixed headlights, bulging fender flares, hunkered-down look, and redone dash, but it is still instantly recognizable as a Miata....the same car that people have loved for over 17 years now. The exterior fit-and-finish is well-done, with high-quality hardware. The paint is smooth, evenly applied, and commendably free from orange peel, although, not suprisingly, a little short of the superb, industry-leading Toyota / Lexus paint jobs. The hood has a very light feel to it...light even for its aluminum construction, and the trunk lid a even lighter feel. Inside the trunk, though, is more room than you normally expect to find in a car of this type, especially considering the space needed to stow the folded top.....the Mazda engineers have really done a good job here. And they did an even better job designing the folding roof itself....more on this in a minute. The rest of the body sheet metal, unlike the hood and trunk, feels substantial.
Underhood, the 2.0L in-line 4 is postioned WAY back toward the firewall, in an obvious effort by the engineers to get a 50/50 weight distribution for optimum handling. This is great from a driving standpoint but makes it rather difficult to reach some things....the rather awkward, unidirectional-fitting oil dipstick is a good example. Like many vehicles today, the engine has one of those idiotic plastic covers that restrict access to things even more. ( There ought to be a law against those things....just ask the guys in the service bays that have to do engine work ).

Stoop WAY down to get in ( this is no Suburban ) and you find, as previously mentioned, that the interior is a little more friendly to large people. MY obiquitous baseball cap now comes up to about even with the top of the windshield header, instead of some 2-3" above it like the old car, and with the manual tilt steering wheel all the way up, ( which still isn't that far up ) now allows me to at least get my legs under it without looking like a Bachmann Pretzel.
The interior, as a whole, is quite well-done, except for the cheap-looking and cheap-feeling solid black plastic inner door panels that rattled and vibrated every time the door was shut and the awkward, out-of-the-way buttons for the trunk release and gas flap door. The trunk-release button is way down under the left dash where it is even harder to find, by feel, than the almost equally-hard hood release. The gas-filler door is opened by a button INSIDE a pull-down door compartment built into the back wall between the seats.
The dash and gauges are quite well-done, with legible, circular, clear markings, and all of the controls, except for the release buttons I just mentioned, are well-placed, well-designed, and are a pleasure to use. And, best of all, there is little or none of the electronic and video gimcrackkery so prevalent in today's vehicles. This is a car built for a drivers, not high-tech or electronic buffs. Sure, you have some electric convienence features...... power windows, door locks, mirrors, etc......but these are not STAR TREK video Space-Age gadgets that distract you while you are trying to drive......and DRIVING is what this car is all about, at least on dry pavement ( more on that later ).
So, not surprisingly, the seats are designed for driving, with good side support without being too confining ( even my big tush fit in them reasonably well ). Unfortunately, like in the last Miata, there isn't much space for them to recline because of the space behind the seats needed for the trunk and roof compartment. If you want the seat to recline, you have to slide the bottom of the cushion forwards like in the last model, and then you are scrunched up against the wheel. Again, this is a potential problem only for big adults like me; smaller ones will have no problem.
The folding top, in this car, as forementioned, is a pure gem. I can't think of any reason at all to spend the extra money for the folding hard-top unles you live in a high-crime area or just want the slightly better noise and weather-insulation that the metal top gives. On the new Miata, you don't even have two windshield header-latches to unclick anymore, just one in the center, and the roof folds back with one arm and lowers back behind the seats....just push the front edge down and it clicks into the self-made boot automatically. To raise it, just press a built-in latch behind you between the seats; the top unclicks and pops up, and you just grab it with the same arm and pull it back forward over your head into the windshield header and snap the latch back in place.....presto. The release latch back behind you, between the seats, can be a little awkward for a big guy like me to contort around and reach, but for most people should be no problem.
Visibility out of the car with the top up was , like most convertibles, a little restricted around the rear pillars, but otherwise not notably bad. Tall guys like me have the your head about even with the top of the windshield, so it can be difficult looking up in front of the car. The right-side outside mirror, while made of good materials and solidly attached, is a little small for my tastes....it doesn't allow a good view towards the back of the car, which already sits very low in the first place.

OK...this car was built to DRIVE, so let's do that. Start her up and you are greeted with some engine noise and a little vibration...this is NOT a luxury car. The gear-shift lever vibrates at idle and you can also feel a little in the steering wheel despite the fact that it is rear-drive. That's not to say that it is like a go-cart, however...if anything, it is smoother and more refined than the last model by a noticeable amount.
Put the lever into first, let out the clutch, and go...the smooth clutch engages right off the floor, with almost no play at all. The ultra-short-throw snick-snick shifter is even betetr then before...the last one, IMO, was heavy-feeling with a lot of effort; this one is like a Honda Civic's.....just snicks right from one gear to the next. You can shift this car in your sleep, except that I occasionally misjudged 3rd and 5th...perhaps with brand-new unbroken-in shift linkage. The engine, while noticibly more powerful than the original 1.6L 116 HP of the original car, is still, IMO, a little short of power for a car of this type.....it could use some tinkering by the MazdaSpeed folks, or maybe a turbocharger. Those of you who know me know that I am not a speed freak by any means, but I sill think 140 ft. lbs' of torque ( 163 in the automatics ) is little low for a true drivers' car.....especially as outstanding a drivers'car as this one is.
The rest of the driving experience, however, is fully up to sports-car standards. Twist the wheel and the car responds right-now. Hit the brake pedal and the brakes engage immediately with a super-firm pedal almost completely devoid of the mushiness and sponginess you find in big Ford and GM SUV's. Road and wind noise, as to be expected in a small convertible, is present but with the top up is not bad at all. With the top down, the wind-blocking effect is pretty good....there was no real wind turbulence coming into the cabin except right at the top of the windshield....fortunately my cap fits pretty tight. There is a small amount of cowl flex on rough roads with the top down, as to be expected in almost any convertible short of a $90,000 Mercedes SL roadster, but almost none with the top up. The advances in the suspension and tires over the original car are obvious....the double-wishbone frone / multi-link rear setup on the new car gave a firm but noticibly less jolting ride ( I still wouldn't call it smooth ) than the old car gave, which IMO was downright HARSH, yet the new suspension still provided the crisp response this car is noted for.
That one-with the road-feel and quick steering, though, IMO, along with the stiff ride, short, high-RPM gearing, short wheelbase, and fairly high noise level make.....the same tings that make this car such a blast on narrow, curvy roads.......also make it unsuitable and tiring on a long-distance cruise. The car's suspension, while not quite as stiff as the old car's, still bumps harshly over expansion joints, and the quick, darty steering will put you right into the lane next to you at the slightst twitch of the steering wheel......not very comforting in a car this size when you are right next to an 18-wheeler. The short engine gearing and lack of insulation produces high RPM's and engine noise at crusing speeds even in 5th gear ( some Miatas have a 6-speed ), and the general lack of weight and 50/50 weight distribution don't do a whole lot for stability. This, obviously, is a car for back roads, sharp curves, and lower speeds.
It also pays to keep this car off of slick surfaces. While it was a beautiful day and I didn't actually sample it in the wet, the front/engine, rear-drive setup, light weight, and dry-pavement high-performance tires are known to be a very bad combination wet or slick roads. I've had numerous Miata owners tell me...and read numerous auto tests in magazines.....that describe the Miata's tendency to just spin the rear wheels, even with traction control, and slide all over the place in bad weather. You don't buy a car like this for winter.....park it and take the Subaru.

Drive this car in its proper environment and like it was designed to, though, and it is a blast. It will stick to DRY corners like on rails. The agility is just amazing..it will turn round in practically its own length. This car spoils you so much on curvy roads that you get back into a regular family car and, by comparison, it feels like a tank. Little wonder that it became the world's favorite sports car practically overnight, especially with its low price, high build quality, and good dealer network. Unlike with other Mazda products, the corporate bosses at Ford have seen fit to leave the Mazda people alone and let then design this car as they see fit, without the huge Ford influence we see in some of the rest of the company's products, like with the Tribute and B-Truck series.

So....the verdict? Really not much more that I can add here to what I've already said. To sum up, it's inexpensive, fun, a blast to drive on dry curvy roads, well-built, reliable, with low depreciation....you won't have much trouble reselling one in reasonably good condition.
It's also a little more refined than past models, slightly more accomodating to oversize persons, and readily available at dealerships. It is NOT a car for crusing coast-to-coast in, it is NOT a car for wet or slick roads, it is NOT a car to use as a moving van, and it is NOT a car for those who want Volvo or Mercedes-like crash protection.

In short, it was......and is.......still the world's most ubiquitous sports car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-01-06 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-31-06, 06:37 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love mine and mine ain't even new!!
Old 10-31-06, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
i love mine and mine ain't even new!!
You're not alone. Even with the car's obvious limitations, it has one of the highest owner satisfaction ratings in the industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 10:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Thanks mmarshall - being tall a Miata has always felt too cramped in the past but one day when I get a sports car I'll be sure to check out this one.
Old 10-31-06, 10:35 PM
LexFather

Great review, I am also a fan of this car. SOme pics

Old 11-01-06, 03:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, 1SICK. That two-tone black/tan leather interior you posted comes only with the top-line model. The others are all black cloth.
Old 11-01-06, 09:58 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice review. You know who the true car enthusiasts are by their reaction to the Miata.

I seriously considered getting a Miata as my next new car, but having a 9 year old and a wife in the family mix doesn't allow for that. I'm sure your review for anyone considering getting one will certainly sway them in the right direction.

Miatas are not the most practical cars built, but they are built very, very well for what they were intended to do. Enjoy driving.....ZOOM ZOOM.
Old 11-02-06, 05:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Very nice review. You know who the true car enthusiasts are by their reaction to the Miata.

I seriously considered getting a Miata as my next new car, but having a 9 year old and a wife in the family mix doesn't allow for that. I'm sure your review for anyone considering getting one will certainly sway them in the right direction.
Well, if you have room to park a Miata ( that won't be much space ...trust me ) , and you can afford a second car, there is no reason not to have one if you have something else big enough as well for the rest of the family and can handle bad weather or shopping.....say, a Subaru Wagon or a small AWD SUV like the RAV4, CR-V, Escape, etc.....

Some insurance companies offer a discount on a second car, although a Miata, being a two-seater and considered a sports car for insurance purposes, usually does not bring the lowest premiums. Try GEICO, if you are not already with them, for some good rates.
Old 12-21-06, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Nice vid on the Miata.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...da+miata&hl=en

I went to test drive one of these the other day and can confirm most things mmarshall says in his excellent review.

I did not find any rattles or creaks or anything in door panels. If anything I was shocked at how solidly the doors 'thud' closed for such a small car.

Unlike the one mmarshall drove, I got to drive a top of the line one, Grand Touring, 6 speed stick, with limited slip differential.

Car's driving is SPECTACULAR. I will say categorically this car drives better than a Porsche Boxster and it's HALF the price. The engine sounds better. Subjectively it felt more responsive at low rpm (the Boxster is anemic until 3000rpm) and it was plenty quick enough. I drove a Civic Si a few months back and that had almost no low end torque, a common Honda trait, whereas the Mazda was much more 'willing'. Maybe it being RWD vs. the Civic's FWD is another factor, plus in the Civic as good a job as they've done of basically ridding the car of torque steer, you're still aware of the big bias of weight toward the front. The Miata on the other hand, with 50/50 weight distribution with the engine pushed up against the firewall for even better balance, is sublime!

The LSD worked as I expected. Taking a (legal) u-turn and tromping on it, I could hear the quick chirp, chirp, as the LSD did it's job of transferring power to the outside wheel VERY effectively. And as mmarshall said, the tiny turning radius will bring a grin to any enthusiast!

Back onto the subject of 'power' - most of us like talking about big power numbers and of course the Miata numbers are tiny by today's standards. BUT, *light weight* is what sports cars should be about, and so the Miata doesn't feel slow at all. Also, if you've never driven a convertible, then you might experience (like I have) that driving a car with the top down feels a lot faster than in say, a vault-like quiet Lexus (except the SC430, but that's nowhere near as much fun as a Miata).

Having driven a friend's convertible Porsche 911 Turbo with ungodly power, I've come to the conclusion that I'd never want a car with that kind of power. It's just too tempting and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too easy to get to 100mph or more. Frankly I don't want to be going that fast that easily. A Miata is plenty enough fun.

Oh, forgot to mention the stick shift - I thought the Civic Si one was perfect but this is even better. Perfect clutch. Perfect shifter. Perfect ratios. WAY TO GO MAZDA!

On this Grand Touring one, it had a 'keyless' start - just turn a **** if the key card is in the car.

Negatives? A few.

I briefly played with the Bose 'upgrade' audio listening to Sirius radio channel and I thought it was crap. But that's not why you buy this car.

I don't like the pseudo aluminum trim on the steering wheel - I think it's ugly - I think I'd get it painted black or something.

The Grand Touring model offers a 'brown' colored leather and dash/console which doesn't totally float my boat. They also have a brown colored cloth top to match, even if you get a gray car, for example, and that combo doesn't look good to me. I drove a gray one but also saw a copper one and a blue one I really liked the look of.

They have an available 'appearance' package with front and rear low trim (valence?) which doesn't do much for me.

More good stuff. The 17" factory rims look GREAT. It could stand to have a bit less wheel gap, but fitment/offset is great.

The car is definitely bigger than prior Miatas - I'm 6'3" with long legs and I found adequate leg room although the steering wheel was still a bit 'close' to me, but not unfomfortable. In prior Miatas I'd be looking at the top bar of the windshield (no good!) but this one I was looking below that (good!) although I did notice when at a traffic light I couldn't decide whether to look under the top bar or over to see if the light had turned green. No biggie.

Summary - in a world that now has Solstice's and other competitors, you can still see how Mazda's now long experience refining the MX-5 Miata formula has paid off. This is a truly great car and a bargain. They offered me a loaded one for about $26K (with 7yr/100K warranty included) but I know it can be had for less.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata-img_5113-2.jpg  
Old 12-21-06, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Another pic, this one of the copper one (sweet color):
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata-img_5120-2.jpg  
Old 12-21-06, 08:18 PM
LexFather

holy CRAP bit, moving to Florida really got u a tan!! hahahahahaha

Great review, fantastic car.

Old 12-22-06, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
holy CRAP bit, moving to Florida really got u a tan!! hahahahahaha
Or maybe DASHOCKER came down from NYC to check one out?
Old 12-22-06, 06:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I went to test drive one of these the other day and can confirm most things mmarshall says in his excellent review.
Thanks..........and a confirmation from someone of your automotive caliber means something.

Did your car have the folding metal roof? If it did, the 26K you were offered was probably a bargain.

Despite the obvious advantages of the folding metal hardtop and its extra security and weatherproofing, I deliberately did not check it out because the standard soft top is SO easy to use, and a couple of thousand dollars cheaper to boot ( no pun intended ) that I don't think a lot of the folding hardtops will be sold. My prediction ( and we'll see how the sales numbers come out ) is that 8 or 9 soft-tops will be sold for every folding hard-top, and that those hard-tops will probably be most popular in places like NYC, Detroit, and L.A. where you have a lot of car theft.

I also agree with your assessment of this car compared to Porsches. Despite not being a high HP/torque powerhouse, it basically is as much driving fun at half the price. Even though Porsches in general offer a lot more power and much faster 0-60 and quarter-mile times than a non-turbo Miata does, they still, IMO, are grossly overpriced. But I do, however, plan to review a new Boxster in the near future, simply due to the car's popularity and its position, along with the Cayenne, as one of Porsche's two bread-and-butter vehicles. In fact, a friend of mine....who owns a local restuaurant often I eat at......bought a new Boxster.

The Honda S2000 also outdoes Porsche in the driving fun-per-dollar category, and has more top-end power than the Miata, but only at extremely high engine RPM's ( which you don't do with new cars anyway ), and its base and list prices are a clear step above the Miata's...not quite in Porsche territory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-06 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-22-06, 07:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, Marsh . . . another brilliant review. If Porsche still builds the Speedster of yesteryear, and Honda the Lotus, Mazda has truly created a Triumph! (pun intended) A mass-produced sportscar for everyman, the Miata is the affordable answer for an enthusiast's toy.

Tiny and cramped for my big frame (as was the TR-3,4 and 6), the Miata has always reflected a modern take on the old British sportscars of my youth. Side curtains have been replaced by power windows, recalcitrant gearboxes by slick-shifting manuals and paddle-shifted automatics, and that fiddly, agricultural engine by a smooth, relatively quiet powerplant of respectable (if not pavement-ripping) power.

This is the sportscar of the fifties brought up to date - wonderful for a brisk drive in the country, wearing on long trips, and abominable as a commuter. There is no substitute for the wind-in-your-face, hands-on-the-wheel, butt-on-the-ground sensation of performance this car can deliver. I want one. First I must lose fifty pounds and a couple of vertebrae . . .
Old 12-22-06, 08:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The Miata is an excellent little vehicle. Everyone I have known has enjoyed them. Whether you buy one or not of course, as a few have mentioned, depends on one's needs.

I also have a few friends who have enjoyed boosting them up for more power, and they are literally a pocket rocket.

Quick Reply: Review: 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata