Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OCTOBER 2006 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06 | 02:25 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Code:
3-series	9503
ES		6357
TL		5790
G35		4168
C-class		3784
CTS		3629
IS		3464
A4		3050
S40/V50		2494
MKZ		2288
TSX		2209
S60/V70		2100
9-3		1926
X-type		308
Code:
E-class		4895
5-series	4398
GS		1997
M		1986
STS		1573
RL		987
CLS		863
A6		844
LS		429
9-5		355
S-type		314
S80		69
Code:
"DTS"		4389
Town Car	3037
S-class		2518
"LS"		2097
7-series	1772
A8		442
XJ		315
Q45		15
Phaeton		6
Old 11-04-06 | 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
@ spwolf, re: BMW sales:

Directly from their own PR:
and? Are they not supposed to put an spin on their sales dropping for several months now? Keep in mind that for most of last year, BMW has been directly competing with Lexus for #1 sales, while in past quite few months, we have seen their sales dropping for 7%-10% while Lexus sales are up 7%-10%.

Not only that, but their main rival, MB is steadily increasing sales as well.
Old 11-04-06 | 02:57 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
and? Are they not supposed to put an spin on their sales dropping for several months now? Keep in mind that for most of last year, BMW has been directly competing with Lexus for #1 sales, while in past quite few months, we have seen their sales dropping for 7%-10% while Lexus sales are up 7%-10%.

I'm just posting what they said. Whether it's the real reason or a significant reason or not, it ain't no thang to me. Besides, it's fun to be on the sidelines watching you and doug duke it out every month.
Old 11-04-06 | 04:13 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Code:
Q45		15
Phaeton		6
I think it's way past time to pull the plug on these gems...
Old 11-04-06 | 05:09 PM
LexFather

Good Lord the 3 series is abundant! Wow, they are solid at 9k sales every month!
Old 11-04-06 | 06:34 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf

BMW is #1 in the WORLD while Lexus is #4.

I think BMW is very content with their sales performance, even in the U.S. where total BMW sales are UP. All this even with a drop in sales.
Old 11-04-06 | 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I think it's way past time to pull the plug on these gems...
Rename them QED and Phaetal.
Old 11-04-06 | 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good Lord the 3 series is abundant! Wow, they are solid at 9k sales every month!
Impressive yes but ES+IS > 3 so Lexus got it right.

A pair beat a high card.
Old 11-04-06 | 07:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
BMW is #1 in the WORLD while Lexus is #4.

I think BMW is very content with their sales performance, even in the U.S. where total BMW sales are UP. All this even with a drop in sales.
You forgot about the Toyota brand. BMW sell lower versions models in the rest of the world that's not available here, & those made up the vast majority of their total sales. That's why BMW sold only about a quarter million cars in the US , but about half a million in Europe, & about a million world wide & yet USA is still regarded as the world's largest market for luxury cars.

It's not a legitimate nor fair comparsion between the 2 brands in world wide sales, since Toyota seperates their high end cars & low end cars into two seperate brands, & BMW (as well as Mercedes) do not.

1 series, A class, B class, 4 cylinder & diesel Mercedes & BMW's are common place in Europe. The E class, 5 series, C class, 3 series, & even the S class & the 7 are commonly used as taxi's everywhere there.

Also note that some Toyota's sold in other parts of the world like Japan would be luxury cars by any defination & yet their sales count as Toyota's & not Lexus.(the Crown's & the luxurious Alphard vans for example). These Toyota models are as well or better/more luxuriously equipped than the Lexus IS & GS.

Even in the USA, some high end Toyota's like well equipped Avalon's & Sienna's, the LandCruiser * Sequioa, their prices falls well within the same range as some luxury models from Lexus & BMW etc., yet their sales only count as a Toyota sale, which is not a luxury brand.

Compare the total sales, total net profit, total market capitalization of Toyota Motor Corp & BMW, & they are not even remotely close.

Look up these numbers for BMW, double them, & they will still not be at Toyota's level.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-04-06 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-04-06 | 07:51 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Impressive yes but ES+IS > 3 so Lexus got it right.

A pair beat a high card.
But as I said before, the ES also overlaps the GS, namely the midsize luxury sedan segment. A better comparison should be IS+ES+GS and 3+5, in which case BMW still wins.
Old 11-04-06 | 07:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
But as I said before, the ES also overlaps the GS, namely the midsize luxury sedan segment. A better comparison should be IS+ES+GS and 3+5, in which case BMW still wins.
IS is not mid-size , in fact I regard it as a 4 door coupe
Old 11-04-06 | 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

IS doesn't have much more back seat room than a 911
Old 11-04-06 | 09:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
You forgot about the Toyota brand. BMW sell lower versions models in the rest of the world that's not available here, & those made up the vast majority of their total sales. That's why BMW sold only about a quarter million cars in the US , but about half a million in Europe, & about a million world wide & yet USA is still regarded as the world's largest market for luxury cars.

It's not a legitimate nor fair comparsion between the 2 brands in world wide sales, since Toyota seperates their high end cars & low end cars into two seperate brands, & BMW (as well as Mercedes) do not.

1 series, A class, B class, 4 cylinder & diesel Mercedes & BMW's are common place in Europe. The E class, 5 series, C class, 3 series, & even the S class & the 7 are commonly used as taxi's everywhere there.

Also note that some Toyota's sold in other parts of the world like Japan would be luxury cars by any defination & yet their sales count as Toyota's & not Lexus.(the Crown's & the luxurious Alphard vans for example). These Toyota models are as well or better/more luxuriously equipped than the Lexus IS & GS.

Even in the USA, some high end Toyota's like well equipped Avalon's & Sienna's, the LandCruiser * Sequioa, their prices falls well within the same range as some luxury models from Lexus & BMW etc., yet their sales only count as a Toyota sale, which is not a luxury brand.

Compare the total sales, total net profit, total market capitalization of Toyota Motor Corp & BMW, & they are not even remotely close.

Look up these numbers for BMW, double them, & they will still not be at Toyota's level.
Damn great post!
Old 11-04-06 | 11:06 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexArazzo

Right. However, this is a comparison of BMW and Lexus vehicle sales worldwide. Not Toyota and all of its other brands vs. BMW and how much money it has over the other. This is for one luxury brand sales vs. anothers.

Lets take a look at the numbers:

For 2005, Lexus sold a few thousand less than 400,000 vehicles worldwide.
For 2005, BMW and all its nampeplates sold over 1.2 million vehicles worldwide.

Now, if we subtract all Mini (225,000), 1 series (200,000) and 3 series model (250,000) worldwide sales for 2005, BMW still outsells Lexus by almost 200,000 vehicles. Keep in mind that I also rounded the numbers for the BMW sales UP by THOUSANDS, and rounded the 1.2 million figure of total worldwide sales DOWN.

This isn't about what Toyota 'could' sell as Lexus. It is about what Lexus sells now.

Clearly, the numbers say it all, and in a big way. There is nothing wrong with this. I drive a Lexus and not a BMW for a reason. However, I won't be blind to the obvious.

My name says it all.
Old 11-04-06 | 11:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Nobody is blind to anything obvious. Your original post is about the brand Lexus vs.BMW worldwide, so you are right in what YOU want to talk about, but I can legitimately choose to look at it in a different & IMO a more realistic & practical way at the ENTIRE picture.

My whole point is don't let the "brand", ie. which logo they put on the car , distort the real overall picture.
If I am given a choice to own a car manufacturer as a business by myself, which one would I pick ? The answer would be quite obvious.

Quick Reply: OCTOBER 2006 Vehicle Sales