Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OCTOBER 2006 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 11:23 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Nobody is blind to anything obvious. Your original post is about the brand Lexus vs.BMW worldwide, so you are right in what YOU want to talk about, but I can legitimately choose to look at it in a different & IMO a more realistic & practical way at the ENTIRE picture.

My whole point is don't let the "brand", ie. which logo they put on the car , distort the real overall picture.
If I am given a choice to own a car manufacturer as a business by myself, which one would I pick ? The answer would be quite obvious.
Okay. I was just staying on topic. Anyways, the huge gap between Lexus branded vehicles vs BMW branded vehicles should be apparent to all now.
Old 11-04-06, 11:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Okay. I was just staying on topic. Anyways, the huge gap between Lexus branded vehicles vs BMW branded vehicles should be apparent to all now.
Everything on car sales is on topic in this thread, & there are many different ways you can group cars together to compare sales between different manufacturers. How about trying to look at who sell the most station wagons ? Lexus will lose badly since they have none . They have less convertibles & coupes & diesels(which are key to Europeans) also so they won't look good in that regard too. If you look at hybrids then Lexus wins, but some may say "who cares ?"

For me, the entire overall picture is the most important, not what logo's they put on the car, if you just look at the brand ALONE, that's a distorted picture, that's what my post is all about

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-04-06 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-04-06, 11:45 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Everything on car sales is on topic in this thread, & there are many different ways you can group cars together to compare sales between different manufacturers. How about trying to look at who sell the most station wagons ? Lexus will lose badly since they have none . They have less convertibles & coupes & diesels(which are key to Europeans) also so they won't look good in that regard too. If you look at hybrids then Lexus wins, but some may say "who cares ?"

For me, the entire overall picture is the most important, not what logo's they put on the car, that's what my post is all about

I understand. I was just trying to do the most apple to apple comparison, which I did. Basically, this all started when someone posted some misleading information regarding BMW sales vs Lexus. Which is why I did a BMW and Lexus sales comparison, and not Toyota and BMW. Many people try to seperate Lexus from Toyota as much as they can. But I guess they like to be grouped together when it helps.
Old 11-05-06, 12:23 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Over time I have become more comfortable with the Lexus/Toyota connection, namely because to me there is less and less a stigma as Toyota's reputation continues to rise. But I think it is fair at times to split hairs...just imagine if Toyota were Lexus entirely, and the whole range was competing...against companies like Benz and BMW.

Lexus is now #4 overall global luxury brand in just 17 years is pretty amazing already.
Old 11-05-06, 12:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I understand. I was just trying to do the most apple to apple comparison, which I did. Basically, this all started when someone posted some misleading information regarding BMW sales vs Lexus.
It also depends on how you define an apple, you define it by the logo on the cars, others may define it as the actual content of the cars themselves, etc.

There's no misleading info posted, just hard #'s provided by the press releases, now these #'s are sometimes twisted by some to try to make a point in the past, but both are doing well & gaining YTD, just that Lexus maybe gaining more I think recently in USA, & these monthly sales thread are always about USA #'s anyway. They will double sales in Europe this year too with the new IS with diesel included introduced, but of course from a much smaller base.
Many people try to seperate Lexus from Toyota as much as they can. But I guess they like to be grouped together when it helps.
It's a fact that if you group them together in what's being discussed, the real overall picture won't be as distorted, so there's nothing wrong with that at all.

People want to seperate Lexus & Toyota just because they hear Lexus is a glorified Toyota(either as just a joke, or real ignorance) from some, same will apply to an Acura RL too, but RL is a great car, that's what should matter the most to the owners, if you pick the RL over a BMW, obviously it's a better car for you, it shouldn't matter whether the RL & it's Honda equivalent Legend is selling less than a 5 series worldwide, should it? Maybe you should feel sorry for the people in other countries who missed the opportunity to choose the RL (& Lexus cars) just because their distribution network in places like Europe is so much more limited & undeveloped than the established European brands, that their choices are more limited ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-05-06 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-05-06, 11:18 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS is not mid-size , in fact I regard it as a 4 door coupe
Sorry but you totally missed my point. I'm saying the reason that IS+ES > 3 is the fact that ES eats into the midsize luxury sedan market when the 3 does not. The fact is that the ES does compete with the 5 and the GS when buyers choose to shop by size, so saying IS+ES > 3 is simply ignoring this fact. The ES is such an oddball in the typical sedan lineups of 3 sizes (compact, midsize and large) of luxury car brands that you can't force it in just one category. The ES is both "entry" (in terms of price) and "midsize" (in terms of size). So a fair comparison has to be done with both the entry and midsize sedans are included, and thus IS+ES+GS < 3+5.

Am I making sense now?

BTW, just because Lexus designs the IS's interior inefficiently doesn't mean the IS is a coupe. MB's marketing can call the CLS a coupe only because it doesn't have a B-pillar. But the IS has a B-pillar and is a sedan in every meaningful way.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-05-06 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-05-06, 11:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sorry but you totally missed my point. I mean the reason that IS+ES > 3 is the fact that ES eats into the midsize luxury sedan market when the 3 does not. The fact is that the ES does compete with the 5 and the GS when buyers shop by size, so saying IS+ES > 3 is simply ignoring this fact. The ES is such an oddball in the typical sedan lineups of 3 sizes (compact, midsize and large) of luxury car brands that you can't force it in just one category. The ES is both "entry" (in terms of price) and "midsize" (in terms of size). So a fair comparison has to be done with both the entry and midsize sedans are included, and thus IS+ES+GS < 3+5.

Am I making sense now?
I see what you're saying, but the way you compare their sales you did is still not perfect, since it's based on "buyers shopping by size", but how about buyers shopping by "2 door or 4 doors", buyers shopping by "convertibles" & "wagons", buyers shopping by "FWD/RWD", buyers shopping by "luxury & ride comfort orientation vs. sportiness orientation"and buyers shopping by "horsepower" etc. & etc., these are not factored in, & thus comparing "IS+ES+GS" and "3+5 series" is still questionable ? Lexus still does not have enough variants of their models, & you can't sell what you don't offer.
BTW, just because Lexus designs the IS's interior inefficiently doesn't mean the IS is a coupe. MB's marketing can call the CLS a coupe only because it doesn't have a B-pillar. But the IS has a B-pillar and is a sedan in every meaningful way.
I said that jokingly, but the IS doesn't have enough legroom for people above average height to be comfortable in it for an extended ride is a fact, the headroom is actually still better than the CLS, I am generally referring to how useful/comfortable the rear seats are to passengers, more so than whether the car have a B-pillar.
Old 11-05-06, 12:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you're saying, but the way you compare their sales you did is still not perfect, since it's based on "buyers shopping by size", but how about buyers shopping by "2 door or 4 doors", buyers shopping by "convertibles" & "wagons", buyers shopping by "FWD/RWD", buyers shopping by "luxury & ride comfort orientation vs. sportiness orientation"and buyers shopping by "horsepower" etc. & etc., these are not factored in, & thus comparing "IS+ES+GS" and "3+5 series" is still questionable ? Lexus still does not have enough variants of their models, & you can't sell what you don't offer.
Entry luxury sedans, midsize luxury sedans, we hear such categorizations for marketing and sales analysis all the time. No need for going into such technical details such as horsepower or drivetrain layout. I'm just trying to point out the fact that the ES happens to fit in two of the most commonly used categorizations here, thereby making the sales analysis more meaningful. Anyway, I'm not here to argue, but just to make people aware of this unique market position that the ES holds before saying IS+ES > 3.
I said that jokingly, but the IS doesn't have enough legroom for people above average height to be comfortable in it for an extended ride is a fact, the headroom is actually still better than the CLS, I am generally referring to how useful/comfortable the rear seats are to passengers, more so than whether the car have a B-pillar.
Well in that case Rolls Royce should probably call their upcoming 101EX a 2-door sedan because it seats its rear passengers comfortably.

Come on, a sedan has 4 doors and a coupe has 2 doors. It's just that simple.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 11-05-06 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 12:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Entry luxury sedans, midsize luxury sedans, we hear such categorizations for marketing and sales analysis all the time. No need for going into such technical details such as horsepower or drivetrain layout. I'm just trying to point out the fact that the ES happens to fit in two of the most commonly used categorizations here, thereby making the sales analysis more meaningful.
These generalized categories happen to be imperfect too, since entry level luxury usually means price range more so than size to me, & i think for the middle category, they should use mid-level rather than mid-size.
Anyway, I'm not here to argue, but just to let people be aware of this unique market position that the ES holds before saying IS+ES > 3.
I don't think it's unique for the ES, the Infiniti G35 sedan & the Acura TL (as spacious as the RL inside) are entry level in price, but are actually mid-size, not a compact sedan like the IS. 3 years ago, there are people in the G35 forums already saying what a good deal the G35 sedan is, entry level luxury price, but 5 series in size
Well in that case Rolls Royce should probably call their upcoming 101EX a 2-door sedan because it seats its rear passengers comfortably..
Come on, a sedan has 4 doors and a coupe has 2 doors. It's just that simple.
I actually always agree with you on this, I always regard the CLS as a sedan since it has 4 doors. I would cross shop it with the GS although the rear seats are not as practical
Old 11-05-06, 01:39 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Okay, no offense intended but this is really starting to turn into a joke.

It also depends on how you define an apple, you define it by the logo on the cars, others may define it as the actual content of the cars themselves, etc.

There's no misleading info posted, just hard #'s provided by the press releases, now these #'s are sometimes twisted by some to try to make a point in the past, but both are doing well & gaining YTD, just that Lexus maybe gaining more I think recently in USA, & these monthly sales thread are always about USA #'s anyway. They will double sales in Europe this year too with the new IS with diesel included introduced, but of course from a much smaller base.

It's a fact that if you group them together in what's being discussed, the real overall picture won't be as distorted, so there's nothing wrong with that at all.
An apple to apple comparison is Lexus vs. BMW. One luxury car company versus another. There is nothing else to it. If Toyota wanted to be 'less distorted' in their press releases, they too would also combine all sales and call Lexus the number one car brand in the world. They don't. Why? Because it wouldn't be true and they would be the only company in the world to do that. If combining the sales of Toyota to, it would make things MUCH more distorted. Thats probably why no one else has ever done that here when comparing LEXUS vs. BMW. Does this make sense to you?

The picture was not distorted at all here. Why? Because I compared the sales of BMW branded vehicles to Lexus branded vehicles. On top of that, I subtracted the sales of two of the best selling BMW vehicles in the lineup to show that BMW branded vehicles still outsold Lexus branded vehicles. When someone asks you how many Scions Toyota sold, do you tell them how many Scion badged cars sold or how many Scion badged cars sold plus how many cars that COULD be branded as a Scion sold?

I'm a consumer you meet on the street and would like to know global sales numbers for BMW and Lexus. Can you tell me, an average car person (99% of the people on this planet), which car company sells more cars?

Try combining Toyota sales while explaining that to the consumer and the image becomes VERY distorted.

People want to seperate Lexus & Toyota just because they hear Lexus is a glorified Toyota(either as just a joke, or real ignorance) from some, same will apply to an Acura RL too, but RL is a great car, that's what should matter the most to the owners, if you pick the RL over a BMW, obviously it's a better car for you, it shouldn't matter whether the RL & it's Honda equivalent Legend is selling less than a 5 series worldwide, should it? Maybe you should feel sorry for the people in other countries who missed the opportunity to choose the RL (& Lexus cars) just because their distribution network in places like Europe is so much more limited & undeveloped than the established European brands, that their choices are more limited ?
Yes, I said this same thing in my last post already. There is a reason why I have a Lexus and not a BMW. But thank you for reiterating my point.

Anyways, this is clearly going no where so I'm done with this subject. I'll look for your reply but I'm not gonna bother to repeat myself.
Old 11-05-06, 02:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Okay, no offense intended but this is really starting to turn into a joke.

An apple to apple comparison is Lexus vs. BMW. One luxury car company versus another. There is nothing else to it. If Toyota wanted to be 'less distorted' in their press releases, they too would also combine all sales and call Lexus the number one car brand in the world. They don't. Why? Because it wouldn't be true and they would be the only company in the world to do that. If combining the sales of Toyota to, it would make things MUCH more distorted. Thats probably why no one else has ever done that here when comparing LEXUS vs. BMW. Does this make sense to you?
It's not a joke at all, I think you are twisting what I meant now. I never said in any of my posts that Toyota should combine the TOTAL sales of the Lexus & Toyota brands into one & call it ONE luxury brand. Just that the higher price/luxury Toyota cars/vans/SUV's should be given some recognition as well in reply to your post regarding grouping Toyota & Lexus together.
I DON"T EVEN CARE ABOUT THE BRAND NAME NOR THE LOGO ON THE CAR, much less combining all Toyota sales into Lexus.

My point is still, & i think I have repeated myself many times already, that comparing the luxury car sales made by Toyota BY BRAND is a distorted a picture, since they make non-Lexus brand luxury cars too, but Toyota is not a luxury brand.

OTOH, BMW, & Mercedes can make an econobox, which competes with Toyota's ,Honda's, VW's & Nissans etc., will still count towards BMW/MB sales, & they are regarded as a luxury brand. In that sense, when you add up their total sales as ALL LUXURY CARS & compare them with another manufacturer like Toyota who split their higher end & lower end cars into two different brands, only one of which a luxury brand, it's a VERY distorted picture, there's absolutely no question about that.
The difference in sales of ACTUAL LUXURY CARS REGARDLESS OF THE LOGO ON THEM will not be reflected accurately. BMW/MB has an inherent advantage in Europe, which is a big market, anyway since they are non-imports there & are as widely used as Ford's, etc.here.
If you don't want to count the higher priced Toyota's (worldwide) as luxury vehicles that's within the price range/luxury level of a BMW, that's fine too, but the point is, the differentiation becomes blurred, & in other words, it's always difficult to make a direct & completely fair comparison between the 2 manufacturers in "luxury vehicles" sales now or in the future.

If you go by just the logo on the car, which is what you want to talk about, regardless of whether ALL the cars are actually luxury cars or not, then of course it won't be distorted BY THAT DEFINITION, but that's NOT what I am talking about. Nobody have to go by your definition only & discuss what you want to talk about only, & vice versa. There are different angles from which you can look at it.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-06-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-05-06, 05:25 PM
LexFather

It's not a joke at all, I think you are twisting what I meant now. I never said in any of my posts that Toyota should combine the TOTAL sales of the Lexus & Toyota brands into one & call it ONE luxury brand. Just that the higher price/luxury Toyota cars/vans/SUV's should be given some recognition as well in reply to your post regarding grouping Toyota & Lexus together.
I DON"T EVEN CARE ABOUT THE BRAND NAME NOR THE LOGO ON THE CAR, much less combining all Toyota sales into Lexus.

My point is still, & i think I have repeated myself many times already, that comparing the luxury car sales made by Toyota BY BRAND is a distorted a picture, since they make non-Lexus brand luxury cars too, but Toyota is not a luxury brand.

OTOH, BMW, & Mercedes can make an econobox, which competes with Toyota's ,Honda's, VW's & Nissans etc., will still count towards BMW/MB sales, & they are regarded as a luxury brand. In that sense, when you add up their total sales as ALL LUXURY CARS & compare them with another manufacturer like Toyota who split their higher end & lower end cars into two different brands, only one of which a luxury brand, it's a VERY distorted picture, there's absolutely no question about that.
The difference in sales of ACTUAL LUXURY CARS REGARDLESS OF THE LOGO ON THEM will not be reflected accurately, I am not sure why you fail to understand this point I was trying to make all along.

If you go by just the logo on the car, regardless of whether ALL the cars are actually luxury cars or not, then of course it won't be distorted BY THAT DEFINITION, but that's NOT what I am talking about. Nobody have to go by your definition only & discuss what you want to talk about only, & vice versa. There are different angles from which you can look at it.
Great point. Worldwide, Lexus has only one 4 cylinder car and that is the 220d diesal and it is the first Lexus 4 cylinder. Lexus has always either had V-6s or V-8s or I-6s standard.
BMW has
1 series
No joke, 28 versions of the 3 series in Europe including 4 cylinders.
Those are BREAD AND BUTTER cars. Even the low hp 525 is the value seller for the 5 series.
Mercedes has
A-class
B-class
C-class hatchback

Those are value cars. Lexus offers nothing comparable or as cheap.

So for Lexus to sell so well WITHOUT tons of 4 cylinder sales and hatchbacks and mini-cars is commedable.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-05-06 at 11:31 PM.

Old 11-05-06, 05:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Code:
3-series	9503
ES		6357
TL		5790
G35		4168
C-class		3784
CTS		3629
IS		3464
A4		3050
S40/V50		2494
MKZ		2288
TSX		2209
S60/V70		2100
9-3		1926
X-type		308
Code:
E-class		4895
5-series	4398
GS		1997
M		1986
STS		1573
RL		987
CLS		863
A6		844
LS		429
9-5		355
S-type		314
S80		69
Code:
"DTS"		4389
Town Car	3037
S-class		2518
"LS"		2097
7-series	1772
A8		442
XJ		315
Q45		15
Phaeton		6
WOW..........The GS & IS are doing horrible. I guess that new 3.5 v6 couldn't save the GS.

How is the G35 outselling the IS?? Its about to get redesigned & IS just came out.
Hopefully, these sales #s show Lexus that they need to offer more SPORT in their luxury-sport sedans.
Old 11-05-06, 06:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

all the kids want the G35 nowadays. It appeals to the younger and older crowd. Plus it cost less than the IS250/350.

I wouldn't say the IS is doing horrible. Horrible relative to the 3 series (9000+ ), but not horrible when you're looking at 3500/month.
Old 11-05-06, 07:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
WOW..........The GS & IS are doing horrible. I guess that new 3.5 v6 couldn't save the GS.

How is the G35 outselling the IS?? Its about to get redesigned & IS just came out.
Hopefully, these sales #s show Lexus that they need to offer more SPORT in their luxury-sport sedans.
Yes, very horrible they are doing . Lexus is still the TOP luxury automaker sales-wise in North America, what more do you want?

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why the G35 is selling more: first off, the new G35 just came out, so there is a bit of initial demand. Secondly, G35 has Coupe, while IS series does not (yet). And lastly, G35 is cheaper on average by several thousand compared to an IS.

IS for the past few months was easily selling above 4K. It goes below 4K in only one month, and all of you Lexus critics pounce instantly. Ironic, because some of you critics are Lexus owners too, which makes it even more mind-boggling as to why there is such unreasonable and unfair criticism towards Lexus, on a Lexus owner's forum no less, while MB and BMW are actually praised. Mind boggling .

Quick Reply: OCTOBER 2006 Vehicle Sales