Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OCTOBER 2006 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 09:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, very horrible they are doing . Lexus is still the TOP luxury automaker sales-wise in North America, what more do you want?

They are getting outsold badly in certain segments therefore I want them to improve their product in that segment. Thats what i want. The ES/RX segment is not on my list of vehicles to purchase

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why the G35 is selling more: first off, the new G35 just came out, so there is a bit of initial demand. Secondly, G35 has Coupe, while IS series does not (yet). And lastly, G35 is cheaper on average by several thousand compared to an IS.

Ummmmm the G35 just came out, i doubt those sales #s includes the new one. Its true G35 offers a coupe but IS offers more engine options so it does have 2 different models. So what if it is cheaper? The GS is cheaper than the MB E-class yet it got outsold 2.5 to 1. Your reasoning doesn't make sense.

IS for the past few months was easily selling above 4K. It goes below 4K in only one month, and all of you Lexus critics pounce instantly. Ironic, because some of you critics are Lexus owners too, which makes it even more mind-boggling as to why there is such unreasonable and unfair criticism towards Lexus, on a Lexus owner's forum no less, while MB and BMW are actually praised. Mind boggling .

I like Lexus a lot but at the same time they are not perfect. The cars they make lack SPORTS type handling and overall stability on the road, which gives the driver confidence over the control of the vehicle. This is fine for Lexus' luxury cars ES,LS,SC, & SUVs, but not for the cars that should be sporty like IS and GS.
Old 11-05-06, 10:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

I got a ride in my neighbor's 2003 E500 tonight. Sweet car. Has these dimmable lighted circular thingies on the ceiling (one for front, one for rear) to cast any amount of light downward. Very cool. Rear seating area has digital climate control settings (left and right) in the middle (on the back of the front center armrest/storage where the middle rear vents are).

Car is extremely quiet and smooth and ride is comfortable but controlled.

I was more impressed than I thought I would be.

Oh and he's had ZERO problems with it.
Old 11-05-06, 11:03 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I got a ride in my neighbor's 2003 E500 tonight. Sweet car. Has these dimmable lighted circular thingies on the ceiling (one for front, one for rear) to cast any amount of light downward. Very cool. Rear seating area has digital climate control settings (left and right) in the middle (on the back of the front center armrest/storage where the middle rear vents are).

You should have played with the suspension setting, comfort mode is like riding on air and sport 2 mode is firm like a race car. Almost impossible to made body roll at any speed.
Old 11-06-06, 08:19 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
WOW..........The GS & IS are doing horrible. I guess that new 3.5 v6 couldn't save the GS.

How is the G35 outselling the IS?? Its about to get redesigned & IS just came out.
Hopefully, these sales #s show Lexus that they need to offer more SPORT in their luxury-sport sedans.
No they are not. Reason being they are meeting or exceeding sales targets
Every Lexus is not meant to be best-selling in segment.

The GS is having a tougher time though, the IS is far exceeding targets of 44,000 sales a year.

Old 11-06-06, 08:20 AM
LexFather

I just love the looks of it inside and out. Glad he has had no problems.

Old 11-06-06, 08:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I was very close to ordering a E500 back in 2002, I love it after test driving it, it's one of the few sedan designs that I really like & a very impressive car overall. I ended up with the SC430 because I am still more of a 2 door coupe person, & the convertible hard top & the overall build quality and luxury ambience still more irresistable.

Another reason is that I am wary of the quality issues of MB, especially it's a first year new model that's just came out then. I think CR rated the E class one of the least reliable sedans from their surveys & it always have a full black dot rating next to it, so it's good your neighbor is one of the lucky ones.
Old 11-06-06, 09:31 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

LA, I'm uncertain as to what your point is in your posts. I get what you're saying, but why are you saying it? DUB is just saying that Lexus-branded vehicles are selling less than BMW-branded vehicles worldwide. Are you guys each trying to imply something about the prestige or relative value or worthiness of each brand/corporate conglomeration by contrasting sales numbers?
Old 11-06-06, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
LA, I'm uncertain as to what your point is in your posts. I get what you're saying, but why are you saying it? DUB is just saying that Lexus-branded vehicles are selling less than BMW-branded vehicles worldwide. Are you guys each trying to imply something about the prestige or relative value or worthiness of each brand/corporate conglomeration by contrasting sales numbers?
What LA is saying is, the comparison is kind of FLAWED (not really DUB issue) as Lexus simply DOES NOT SELL 4-cylinder cars in droves and hatchbacks and mini-cars.
TOYOTA sells those cars. Not Lexus.

So worldwide, Lexus might NEVER be the best selling brand as NO LEXUS is below $30,000.
Again, Audi as a A2, A3.
BMW 1 series
Benz A class, B class

These would be Toyotas.

Maybe that helps

IMO, he has a GREAT point.

Old 11-06-06, 10:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
It's just a reponse to his posts, I didn't start the debate. Sales numbers & profits are more about the bragging rights of the corporations more so than the cars themselves, that's what many of the debates been about in the past in these sales threads, to support their favourite manufacturer .

He just want to say that IN NAME, BMW sell the most luxury branded cars in the world. I am not disagreeing with that. What I wanted to say is, & I am repeating myself, that world wide, & to a much lesser extent in America, many Toyota brand cars/vans/suv's that are every bit as well equipped & luxurious & in the same class as a BMW, yet they are not a luxury car just because the logo on the car said so.
Had BMW (& MB) been making these equivalent cars instead of Toyota, they will still be regarded as a bona fide BMW, & they won't necessary be the cheapest BMW's either, (Crown's, Landcruisers, sequioas', aphard's plus a few others,& their equvialent world wide are not low-priced economy cars at all)

My point is since Toyota seperates their car into two seperate brands Lexus & Toyota, you can NEVER directly, legitimately & fairly compare luxury car sales numbers between Toyota & BMW & MB world wide, their luxury brand Lexus will always be significantly disadvantaged. We are really talking about different things, he wants to talk about the logo on the car only, I am talking about the content & class of the cars themselves regardless of the logo put on them. I am just offering to look at things from a different angle, which I think is a more complete picture.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-06-06 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Yes, you can't legitimately compare BMW and Lexus worldwide sales numbers. Comparisons in the U.S. are OK where they have similar breadth and type of product. But worldwide they have markedly different product lines (# models), BMW is in more countries, BMW's been in business at least twice as long as Lexus, plus of course Lexus is tied into Toyota which is many times the size of BMW. Definitely apples and oranges worldwide.
Old 11-06-06, 10:10 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
It's just a reponse to his posts, I didn't start the debate. Sales numbers & profits are more about the bragging rights of the corporations more so than the cars themselves, that's what many of the debates been about in the past in these sales thread, to support their favourite manufacturer .

He just want to say that IN NAME, BMW sell the most luxury branded cars in the world. I am not disagreeing with that. What I wanted to say is, & I am repeating myself, that world wide, & to a much lesser extent in America, many Toyota brand cars/vans/suv's that are every bit as well equipped & luxurious & in the same class as a BMW, yet they are not a luxury car just because the logo on the car said so.
Had BMW (& MB) been making these equivalent cars instead of Toyota, they will still be regarded as a bona fide BMW, & they won't necessary be the cheapest BMW's either, (Crown's, Landcruisers, sequioas', aphard's plus a few others,& their equvialent world wide are not low-priced economy cars at all)

My point is since Toyota seperates their car into two seperate brands Lexus & Toyota, you can NEVER directly, legitimately & fairly compare luxury car sales numbers between Toyota & BMW & MB world wide, their luxury brand Lexus will always be signicantly disadvantaged. We are really talking about different things, he wants to talk about the logo on the car only, I am talking about the content & class of the cars themselves regardless of the logo put on them. I am just offering to look at things from a different angle, which I think is a more complete picture.
Okay, fair enough.