Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official SEMA 2006 thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 07:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I totally agree. I want to like their cars, and on paper they seem fine. But when you see them up close and drive them, you realize just how poorly they are designed and assembled. The 300 has some of the worst fit and finish that I've ever seen.

Your right and i thought mercedes had a hand in the development of the 300c and magnum line I quess all there efforts are going into the real Mercedes...LOL
Old 10-26-06, 10:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default SEMA: Cadillac SRX Sport By Dana Buchman

DETROIT — One of Cadillac's high-profile SEMA vehicles will be a special edition of the 2007 SRX with a cabin that has been redesigned by Dana Buchman, an upscale women's fashion designer.

The '07 SRX already benefits from an all-new cockpit for the new model year, but Cadillac's mandate to Buchman, a former Liz Claiborne designer who now markets her namesake label, was to take the cabin a step further.

"The idea was to take an SRX and hand it over to one of the premier American designers in our effort to give the SRX a renewed focus on marketing to women and families," said Cadillac spokesman Kevin Smith.

Buchman is not only known for her design portfolio, but for her book, Special Education, about her daughter's battle with dyslexia.

The base '07 SRX is powered by a 255-horsepower 3.6-liter V6 with a five-speed automatic transmission. The uplevel model has a 320-hp 4.6-liter V8 with a new six-speed automatic transmission.

No details yet on what Buchman's vision for the SRX will be. At the same time, Smith said Cadillac will also display a DUB Edition 2007 Escalade EXT at SEMA.

What this means to you: Cadillac is totally changing gears with the once-macho SRX and taking aim at the market niche now occupied by the Lexus RX350.

Old 10-26-06, 10:14 PM
LexFather

I think that interior is very nice!! Funny but this SUV is rarely mentioned here and in most car forums when it is time to recommend SUVs. Not that it is bad, it just is not on our minds.

Old 10-26-06, 10:26 PM
LexFather

SO let me get this right
1. Make your Chrysler look like a RR.
2. Add Bentley Grill to make it look like a Bentley
3. Then add Mercedes Name and doors

What in the flying fock? Professional knock-off artists? Lord they just copied all 3 top brand companies!

Old 10-26-06, 10:37 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not mentioned because it's one overpriced (and to me) one very ugly wagon like SUV.
Old 10-26-06, 10:38 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trent
It's not mentioned because it's one overpriced (and to me) one very ugly wagon like SUV.
X eleventy
Old 10-26-06, 10:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I for one never found the SUV attractive. It seemed like they never completed the design. I like everything up to the rear doors. The rear end IMO just doesn't flow. It turns into a big boxy refrigerator. Coupled with the old interior, there just wasnt much to like about it. Though I do remember a few mags praising it for its driving dynamics.

They finally took care of the interior which looks nice, but the exterior design will unfortunately have to wait a few more years.
Old 10-26-06, 10:47 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I know C&D loves the SRX.
But I've never actually seen someone with one. They are ugly and have no 'allure'.

The BMW X5 is the ulimate driving machine.
The Mercedes G500 can off road like none other.
The Escalade has bling blinggggg!
The LX470 is a brute all around.

Cars like that have 'allure' meaning there's something to be attracted to. The SRX sadly doesn't have anything.
Old 10-26-06, 10:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Its got a big *** 1-piece glass sunroof!!
Old 10-26-06, 11:26 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Here are some pics of the long wheelbase.

Old 10-27-06, 05:57 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the interior cant make up for the very ugly exterior
Old 10-27-06, 07:52 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

No matter how long it is, interior materials are pretty crappy for a "luxury car." They seem a bit better than previous chryslers, but no where up to par with japanese or euro makers.
Old 10-27-06, 08:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Either way the 300C's are selling like hotcakes.....
Old 10-27-06, 11:13 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They pimped it pretty nice!!
Old 10-31-06, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Official SEMA thread

Text & Photos edited by Clinton Deacon
Source: General Motors
10-31-2006

Jay Leno, GM Advanced Design Studio Collaborated on 650-Horsepower Supercar That Runs on Bio-Diesel

What would keep a group of automotive designers up all night? "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno, for starters, but not by his monologue or parade of Hollywood guests. This time it's because the late-night talk show host invited the General Motors Advanced Design Studio to help design a mid-engine, turbine-powered supercar called EcoJet. Leno and Ed Welburn, GM vice president of Global Design, introduced the car today at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show.

EcoJet's genesis goes back to a discussion between Leno, an avid car enthusiast and collector, and Bernard Juchli, the chief mechanic and caretaker of Leno's collection. Leno then turned to Welburn for design direction.

"A couple of paper napkins later, Ed had begun to capture the essence of the car," said Leno. "I've admired the work of GM's Design Studio in North Hollywood, Calif., and asked Ed if the studio's director, Frank Saucedo, and his guys could continue the design study,"

Welburn agreed, and a two-week sketching frenzy commenced as GM's designers began working after-hours with Leno's team on the project.

"EcoJet's esthetics were driven by aeronautical and jet-age influences," said Welburn. "It's a purpose-driven design that conveys power, capability and even danger, with a hint of Cadillac's sophisticated design vocabulary."

Borrowing design cues from jet aircraft and Formula One racecars, the supercar began to take shape under the watchful eyes of Leno and Welburn. A concurrent engineering program defined the vehicle's proportions and mechanics.

Leno relied on Juchli and the entire Big Dog team at his garage to turn the EcoJet vision into a reality.

"We thought we pushed the creative envelope with the '66 twin turbo Toronado project with GM, but this turbine-powered monster is a whole new level of complexity," said Juchli, who constructed the car at Leno's facility.

The 650-horsepower (400 lb.-ft. of torque) Leno original is powered by a Honeywell LT-101 turbine engine that runs on bio-diesel fuel. The engine sits in a modified Corvette Z06 hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components. The vehicle's shell is an advanced construction of carbon fiber over Kevlar.

EcoJet project partners
GM Advanced Design Studio, North Hollywood, Calif. - conceptual and build design, engineering, digital design and fabrication support

Alcoa - chassis and wheel engineering

Metalcrafters - body engineering and construction

Honeywell - engine supplier

Intermountain Turbine - engine builders

Dana - chassis supplier

BASF - paint and finishing supplies

GE Plastics - Lexan windows

Viper Technologies - wheel construction
source : worldcarfans
-------------------------------------------------------------
What an ugly face (the car )

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-31-06 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Official SEMA 2006 thread (merged threads)