Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Inexpensive Snow Cars for 2006-2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Inexpensive Snow Cars for 2006-2007

Every fall, I do a CL thread on the best ways to spend your money on good inexpensive new snow cars for your son or daughter off to college in a foul-weather area, if you need to get around on slick roads, or if you just want the peace of mind that AWD gives you knowing that your car will handle deteriorating weather conditions in general if you have to face them. I'm a little late posting this fall, for a number of reasons, and by now some of your sons and daughters are already off to school, ( and no doubt, some of you reading this are college age yourselves ) but still, there is Christmas / Hannukah coming up, and a nice new inexpensive snow car, for many people, makes a mighty nice Christmas present.

This winter, after years of the title being dominated by the Subaru Impreza ( which is still an excellent bargain snow machine ), IMO there is a new King of the ski-bunny values....the Suzuki SX-4. I did a CL review of one recently and was amazed at what this car gives you for the money, starting at just $15,000-$16,000 ( More on this below ). Some of the former contenders are gone....victims of marketing decisions or the bean-counters. So the list this winter, and my rankings, which have been more or less constant for the last several years, is significantly different. Still, these cars, as before, can be expected to cost little money, give good service, get through bad weather, and be reliable...although the SX4, of course, is brand-new, unproven long-term, and with a fairly complex multi-adjustable AWD system that can be programmed 3 ways.

So....here are my 2006-2007 recommendations for pinching pennies in the snow:

SUZUKI SX-4: http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_07/sx4/

With a diminutive size to match its diminutive price, the SX4 is, nevertheless, truly a bargain any way you look at it. It iswell-made inside and out, with a nice paint job, good fit-and-finish, excellent hardware, a good level of safety / convienence standard features, and, of course, AWD. It is light-years ahead of its corporate ( and slightly more expensive ) brother Aerio AWD in just about everything but physical size.....and makes up for this in higher quality and more features for the money. The interior, while not plush or ornate like a luxury car, is tastefully done, has all the basics ( and more ) of what you would expect for the money, and, unlike other small AWD cars, has a multi-position rotary dash switch that sets the AWD system to one of 3 modes....2WD ( yes, you can turn the AWD off for high-traction conditions when you don't need it ), normal AWD for on-pavement slickness, and 4WD lock for tough conditions and mild off-roading when you want max traction....though like most small AWD cars it is not a true off-roader. Its tall roofline and high seating position gives plenty of room for reasonably tall people, front and rear. The SX-4's only real question marks, right now, are of course the newness and unproven nature of the rather complex AWD
hardware ( much more complex than the relatively simple and proven Subaru units ), and the somewhat underpowered 2.0 four, with only 136 ft.lbs. of torque, though the acceleration is a little better, as expected, in the 2WD mode, freed from the AWD drag. It also has rather low ground clearance for deep snow. And any misgivings about the AWD reliability in the long run should be settled by Suzuki's long 7 year/ 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty....no deductible and fully transferrable.

SUBARU IMPREZA: http://www.subaru.com/shop/model_con...?model=IMPREZA

Right on the Suzuki's heels in the bargain snow-bunny department is the ubiquitous Subaru Impreza, a car long known for value, reliability, and foul-weather traction at a low price, although it can't match the SX-4's ultra-low price, 7 / 100,000 drivetrain warranty, standard features, or multi-position 2WD/AWD switch. However, the Impreza offers the advantage of a simple, proven AWD system, if less versatile than the Suzuki's, and one that will be easier and cheaper to repair after the warranty DOES run out.
Imprezas start around $18,000, and, unlike the SX-4, offer a choice of sedan or wagon versions. The Impreza's standard 2.5L boxer-four offers significantly more power than the SX-4, and, if one cares to spend more for performance and more versatility, a more rugged Outback Sport and higher-performance rally-bred WRX and STi versions, but these, of course, detract from the main idea of getting a good snow car as cheap as possible. The WRX and STi also come with wheels and tires that are less-conducive to good snow traction than ther base 2.5i Impreza does, and the Outback Sport, though mildly capable off-road, rides stiffly...too stiffly for my tastes.
Some people may also dislike the Impeza's aircraft-inspired split-wing grille....a styling idea that may be shortly nixed after applying it to both the Impreza and Tribeca. Otherwise, the Impreza is a class-A small car in many ways. Paint is well-done if not quite Toyota-Lexus quality, interior fit-and-finish is good though the interior is somewhat cheaper-looking than the superb Legacy-Outback interior, and the car has been consistantly above average in reliability. Some of that reliability has come from the simple design of the AWD system, made possible by the fact that Subaru's boxer engines have the output shaft coming straight back, where it goes right into the transmission and front AWD hardware without the need for bevel-gears adding to the complexity.

SUZUKI AERIO AWD http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_07/aerio/

The AERIO, a slightly bigger corporate brother to the SX-4, has a bargain price starting at $16,299 for AWD versions but cannot match either the simplicity and consistant above average reliability of the Impreza's AWD system nor the versatility and flexiblilty of the AWD system on its little brother SX4. The Aerio has a more or less conventional small-car AWD system with a sideways in-line 4 up front, which, like the SX-4 and similiar systems on the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, etc.... requires extra directional-transfer-gears to route the power back to the AWD hardware. Like the SX-4, it has low ground clearance which could limit it in deep snow, and it lacks the SX-4's handy 3-position switch for the AWD system.
The Aerio has rather unconventional looks with a tall roofline and plenty of headroom, and more total room inside than either the SX4 or Impreza...especially the Impreza sedan. Its reliability record has generally been average...it generally wont leave you stranded but don't expect it to run trouble-free quite as long as a Subaru. Its interior once included an odd, triangular-shaped gauge cluster that had a quirky digital speedometer, but, thankfully, the Suzuki people tossed that out and it now has a much nicer, more conventional analog cluster. The rest of teh interior is OK, quality and fit-and-finish-wise.....it is no luxury car, but better than on many American-nameplate vehicles. Its 2.3L four, with 152 ft. lbs. of torque is margainally adequate for this size car and an AWD system, but, as with the SX-4, don't expect it to win any Friday night drag races.

HYUNDAI TUSCON / KIA SPORTAGE: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/tucson/tucson.aspx
http://kia.com/sportage/sportage-build.php

I'll treat both of these vehicles together because they are corporate brothers built on the same platform and drivetrain. Both are more SUV-like than the cars listed above, sit much higher off the ground, which, of course, helps in deep snow, and have some differences in styling, trim, standard equipment, and AWD base prices. Both have a sideways-mounted 2.0L four with, ( like the Suzuki SX-4 ) only 136 ft.lbs. of torque.....which probably explains why neither Hyundai nor Kia will sell AWD versions of this vehicle with a 4-cylinder automatic, only with a manual......you have to get the more expensive V6 if you want automatic and AWD, though the V6 models aren't that expensive, either, by V6 standards......about equal to Toyota and Honda 4-cylinder competitors like the RAV4 and CR-V.
In a reverse of the usual pricing tier at Hyundai / Kia, the Tuscon 4-cylinder manual AWD, at a base of $18,399, notably undercuts the Sportage 4-cylinder manual AWD at almost 20K...$19,899. The Tuscon is clearly the better bargain of the two, although I rate both as bargain, well-made entry-level AWD vehicles....otherwise, of course, they wouldn't be on this list. As mentioned, both vehicles have much high center-of-gravity than the cars listed above, so if you are going to buy one for Junior, make sure he or she understands the laws of physics enough to know that you can't throw these two vehicles around corners like you can a Miata.....even stability systems can't overrule the laws of physics. Both vehicles are quite well built for the price, with good fit-and-finish and general build quality approaching that of Toyota and Honda ( no, I'm not kidding ). Korean manufacturers, as has been pointed out repeatedly, have made absolute light-years of progress recently in the quality of their vehicles.....I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend one, although they still trail other automakers in both engine efficiency and HP/torque per liter. The AWD systems, like Suzuki's, are not as simple or as proven as Subaru's, but the 10 year / 100,000 drivetrain warranty covers them a LONG time. Those warranties, however, are not transferrable to anyone but an immediate family member.

TOYOTA MATRIX / PONTIAC VIBE AWD twins: The FWD models live on, but, sorry.....both of the AWD models have been dropped for the 2007 model year. Look for them either on the used-car lot or a rare one still on the dealer lot unsold. Unfortunately, the AWD versions never sold well, and dealers never kept many in stock even when the car was still on the market....but, for the people who DID buy them, they were a good alternative to the Impreza for years and were on my snow-bunny list despite having a too-low ground clearance for deep snow.

So.......Happy Shopping. And you can laugh on the way home from the dealership at all the RWD cars stuck in the ditch while you breeze right past them in the snow.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-02-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 02:29 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww too bad I'm not going to an ivy league school (in the freezing northeast) I could get a subaru for graduation.....
Old 11-02-06, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Aww too bad I'm not going to an ivy league school (in the freezing northeast) I could get a subaru for graduation.....
So what are you going to do in CA......go to UC / Berkeley and get a bicycle instead?
Old 11-02-06, 03:27 PM
siamiam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh awd is overrated :P

it is a real shame that toyota dropped the awd matrix and vibes for 07, the toyota dealership in my town has been busy buying up all the awd 06 ones from the lower 48 and their still selling very well up here.

the new Suzuki SX4 does look promising but id perfer a Impreza over one.

awd doesnt help you stop
Old 11-02-06, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by siamiam
meh awd is overrated :P

the new Suzuki SX4 does look promising but id perfer a Impreza over one.

awd doesnt help you stop
I thought AWD was overrated too.....until I got an Outback. There's simply nothing else like it on slippery roads, especially with good tires.... ...and I have owned and driven many of both FWD and RWD cars, both with and without winter tires.

Theres's nothing wrong with choosing an Impreza over the SX4.....the Impreza is not quite the value or low price the SX4 is, and it lacks the SX4's multi-position 2WD/AWD/AWD Lock selector, but it also has a more proven drivetrain and mechanicals than the brand-new Suzuki.

All else equal, AWD may or may not help you stop any quicker. Compared to a RWD car, probably not, because of AWD's greater weight, even though the AWD weight is more evenly distrubuted front-to-rear than RWD. But even with more weight, it may help some in relation to a FWD car because FWD cars are quite nose-heavy, have a lot of forward weight transfer on braking, and force the front brakes to do most of the work.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-02-06 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 05:07 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Nice snow car review. I've owned AWD and spend time in the mountains in CO. Just look around any ski town and you see AWD is highly regarded. From the list, I'd go Impreza. After a couple of years, I think the subie would hold value better than the others.
Old 11-02-06, 09:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So what are you going to do in CA......go to UC / Berkeley and get a bicycle instead?

I saw a biker the other day around the campus and this was on his bike.

"Bikers against Iraq War"

And you can still get the toyota prius if you want to come here. Other than that you will get ur car keyed. jk
Old 11-02-06, 11:02 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, applying to UC Berkeley..i think I will get a sc400 if i am accepted there. o well
Old 11-03-06, 07:18 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Yeah, applying to UC Berkeley..i think I will get a sc400 if i am accepted there. o well
Hey no worries man, I got a nice bike (as in bicycle) when i was accepted here.

All good!
Old 11-03-06, 07:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Considering the snow storms we get in the North East, 4wd is the way to go.
Old 11-03-06, 09:18 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I think you should also mention how snow tires make a world of difference no matter what type of vehicle you put them on. so-called 'all season tires' are not snow tires and lose grip in cold weather let alone snow, and forget about summer tires.

My neighbor bought a used IS300 rwd with MT. His wife was telling me how that car is no good in the snow and how he can bearly drive it when there is any bit of snow. Well duh it's got summer tires, what the heck do you expect?

Most people don't care or bother about their tires, my friend has a tricked out 350Z with turbo the whole works.. I was looking at it the other day and he has cheap-*** all season tires on it.

My other friend sold his S2000 b/c he couldn't drive it in the winter, he bought a FX35. I told him maybe if he had tried the S2000 on snow tires it'd have been a different story. No the S2000 is not a good winter car, but on Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires it does OK in a little snow. It does not do great, but at least I'm not scared to death if there is a little dusting of snow.

----

BTW my winter beater is now a 07 Subaru Legacy wagon 2.5i with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires FTW
Old 11-03-06, 09:28 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people get caught up w/ AWD and 4WD and don't stop to realize that it doesn't make you stop or turn any better than FWD or RWD. A/4WD just means 4 wheels are accelerating.

Once you try to stop, you're using all four wheels no matter what car is in question, and turning is, unless you have 4 wheel steering, done with just 2 wheels no matter what.

Granted with turning a modern day AWD car with a good stability program could use the two additional drive wheels to correct for turn-in and slides a bit better. But still... the thing that generally seems to cause accidents is the inability to stop in time, and guess what the only thing that's gonna help you in that case is? Chains or snow/ice tires.

I'd take a RWD w/ snow tires ANY day over an AWD with all season tires (or worse yet, performance tires)

Granted AWD w/ snow tires is best of all but still...
Old 11-03-06, 10:19 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
A lot of people get caught up w/ AWD and 4WD and don't stop to realize that it doesn't make you stop or turn any better than FWD or RWD. A/4WD just means 4 wheels are accelerating.

Once you try to stop, you're using all four wheels no matter what car is in question, and turning is, unless you have 4 wheel steering, done with just 2 wheels no matter what...
this is true, but sometimes any little bit to help you get going helps.

I remember I had a Z3 roadster with all season tires, my driveway was a tiny incline hard to even notice it, but with a small dusting of snow it was near impossible to start from a stop. Had to roll back down the driveway and get a running start.

I had a fwd minivan with all season tires, granted on a steaper incline it was near impossible to move forward.

Also some traction control systems cut power and/or apply brakes so that you can not get moving in very slippery conditions.

In the above examples anything that will give you extra grip or divide the acceleration to more than 2 wheels such as snow tires and/or awd will help.

Ground clearance may also be vital if you have deep enough snow, once or twice I have go stuck in 8" of snow in regualr car while my Trooper can go through 12" of snow with ease.
Old 11-03-06, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
I think you should also mention how snow tires make a world of difference no matter what type of vehicle you put them on. so-called 'all season tires' are not snow tires and lose grip in cold weather let alone snow, and forget about summer tires.

My neighbor bought a used IS300 rwd with MT. His wife was telling me how that car is no good in the snow and how he can bearly drive it when there is any bit of snow. Well duh it's got summer tires, what the heck do you expect?
I had a 2001 IS300 for several years. It had the optional 16" all-season tire package from the factory, traction control, and snow mode for the automatic transmission. The all-season tire package was probably a little better than the 17" summer tires on slick roads, but this car just was not designed for slick roads....snow tires or not. It would handle mildly slick conditions, but anything REALLY frozen...forget it....even with all the electronic traction aids.

When I said there's nothing like AWD on slick roads, I meant EXACTLY that....not maybe.
Old 11-03-06, 01:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I had a 2001 IS300 for several years. It had the optional 16" all-season tire package from the factory, traction control, and snow mode for the automatic transmission. The all-season tire package was probably a little better than the 17" summer tires on slick roads, but this car just was not designed for slick roads....snow tires or not. It would handle mildly slick conditions, but anything REALLY frozen...forget it....even with all the electronic traction aids.

When I said there's nothing like AWD on slick roads, I meant EXACTLY that....not maybe.
Even all seasons are almost worthless in truly bad conditions (ice and such).
I've had the chance to drive a 2005 4Runner RWD w/ VSC, auto-LSD, and snow/ice tires and a 2005 4Runner 4x4 w/ VSC but with the factory bridgestone all season tires. The 2WD was roughly 'equal' to the 4WD in terms of traction when accelerating. the 4WD did keep it pointed ahead a bit better when accelerating, though, but all that meant is the VSC had to work a bit hard in the 2WD 4Runner.

But man when it came to making turns and especially stopping, that 2WD 4Runner was flat-out confidence inspiring and the 4WD was downright scary.

Again, a 4WD/AWD with snow tires is the best of both worlds, but to me if you already have a 2WD, it's much cheaper to just buy some winter wheels and snow tires to swap out when needed, then it is to buy a 4WD/AWD and then also buy some snow tires for it.

That is unless of course you just want to own a second/additional vehicle to beat on in the winter time anyway - then go for it.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Snow Cars for 2006-2007