Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend: GM May Be Responsible For Toyota Tundra Delay

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 01:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Motor Trend: GM May Be Responsible For Toyota Tundra Delay

DETROIT STRIKES BACK!

Word is Toyota was forced to delay the launch of its new Tundra pickups when it realized GM's new GMT900 pickups would be available with the same classy interior as the SUV versions.

Toyota hurriedly reworked the Tundra interior to give it a more upscale feel, but suppliers have been struggling to meet the deadlines."

Source: Motor Trend magazine, December 2006; Page 21 (Top Right)
Old 11-06-06, 02:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow.. now I've seen everything...
Old 11-06-06, 03:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I remember seeing that same basic interior design for the Tundra in spy shots from months ago so the delay must have come before then, or else the changes made aren't easily apparent to me.

But with that said, the upscale interior on the GM trucks looks hands-down better then the Tundra's IMO. The Tundra's interior looks clean if you just look at one side or the other, but the two-sided split down the middle of the dash thing is just dumb looking to me. And neither side looks particularly warm or luxurious either. Not that everybody cares about that in a truck, but a lot of people do and nobody thought that the 'warmer' and more luxurious interior would ever be found on a GM.

Maybe it's not assembled as well, but even that I'm unsure of as after checking out the GM interiors, they've surpassed the old Tundras in assembly quality IMO - so the new Tundras better have planned to leap frog not only the old Tundra but a little ways past that, too.

GM will also be offering a 6.0 w/ 380 to 403hp depending on the model with a 6-speed auto.

Granted this new Tundra certainly puts up a better fight mechanically - it is finally roughly on par with GM's offerings assuming the durability is on par as well (the old Tundras just didn't hold up very well to use and abuse in the real world of construction).

Guess we'll see.
Old 11-06-06, 03:33 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Well I remember seeing that same basic interior design for the Tundra in spy shots from months ago so the delay must have come before then, or else the changes made aren't easily apparent to me.
In manufacturing with new designs, you can get quick turn prototype parts built very quickly, but the quality and consistency can be very poor. Going from first spin prototypes to production ready consistently high quality parts can be a long process with a lot of iterations needed. You need to calibrate your machines and tooling, all of which takes time. When you start cranking out about 18,000 parts per month you need to make sure that production yields are as high as possible because otherwise you're going to have bad parts piled sky high along with a lot of money going straight down the toilet.

Toyota probably redesigned and then froze the interior design a year ago, and stuff like this usually has 18 month lead times. So Toyota probably knew that the truck would be late a long long time ago but it didn't leak out until now.
Old 11-06-06, 03:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
In manufacturing with new designs, you can get quick turn prototype parts built very quickly, but the quality and consistency can be very poor. Going from first spin prototypes to production ready consistently high quality parts can be a long process with a lot of iterations needed. You need to calibrate your machines and tooling, all of which takes time. When you start cranking out about 18,000 parts per month you need to make sure that production yields are as high as possible because otherwise you're going to have bad parts piled sky high along with a lot of money going straight down the toilet.

Toyota probably redesigned and then froze the interior design a year ago, and stuff like this usually has 18 month lead times. So Toyota probably knew that the truck would be late a long long time ago but it didn't leak out until now.
This is correct. Suppliers many times just get squeezed with deadlines and having to hold costs.

Also, IMO, I still am not a big fan of the Toyota interior and I really think GM has stepped up with theirs.

Old 11-06-06, 10:06 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

tundra will debut in feb of 07......later on in the year you will see the quad cab with four full size doors!!
Old 11-07-06, 05:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

If that's the 'new' new Tundra interior (pics) then it's still ugly.
I'm with Threxx on this one.
Old 11-07-06, 05:39 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

I have yet to see the new GM trucks in person but I must say the new Silverado look's beautiful. I think I may buy one with the GM employee discount my wife gets.
Old 11-07-06, 05:46 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Attached Thumbnails Motor Trend: GM May Be Responsible For Toyota Tundra Delay-ext_gallery01.jpg  
Old 11-07-06, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC

except that tundra is not late...

And Tundra's interior has been revealed for a loooong time now, much longer than what is common - full year before it goes on sales...

Gotta love GM press machine... we have been seing so many bogus new stories about Toyota in past few months... like Toyota lowering Tundra's production, Toyota delaying Tundra, Toyota delaying all models, Toyota adding to production of Camry on expense of Tundra, etc, etc.
Old 11-07-06, 02:04 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

I'm not feeling that silver coming across to the center of the dashboard either. That look so out of place.
Old 11-07-06, 06:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I have to agree with a lot of members here about the silver color of the dash and circular dials. I am not too sure if that is the way to go. That being said, the truck does separate the driver from passenger and looks very similar in design to a 18 wheeler truck in a sense.

I would rather see something along the lines of the Land Crusier/Lx470 speedo but I am sure they have used data from the 4runner/tacoma sales that has proven that the circles sell.

For GM, they do have something going for them and that is two separate designs for their dash, from a cost standpoint it might not work but from a choice and design standpoint the two designs will make sense.

As for Toyota delaying the Tundra because of materials, capacity stand point.

Not a chance.

They delayed the Tundra because it is not a great time to sell the new model during Christmas early new year. A lot of people and buyers are tied down doing other stuff at this time. Also there are a lot of days of work lost to holidays during this time.
Old 11-08-06, 04:29 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimxo
I have yet to see the new GM trucks in person but I must say the new Silverado look's beautiful. I think I may buy one with the GM employee discount my wife gets.
is it a significant discount over invoice?
Old 11-08-06, 05:21 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Gotta love GM press machine... we have been seing so many bogus new stories about Toyota in past few months... like Toyota lowering Tundra's production, Toyota delaying Tundra, Toyota delaying all models, Toyota adding to production of Camry on expense of Tundra, etc, etc.
GM press machine. That's hilarious. You're right. Toyota is perfect. They can do no wrong. This is all a "vast conspiracy" by GM.
Old 11-08-06, 05:28 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

thats just incredible
WOW...

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: GM May Be Responsible For Toyota Tundra Delay