Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to use 2-way key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 02:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default GM to use 2-way key fob

GM has gone full steam ahead into the parts and accessories business, so SEMA was a natural place to show off its latest new gadgets. One of the more useful pieces of technology we saw was the two-way key fob. Already available in the aftermarket, these super fobs allow you to do more than just lock and unlock the doors. In this case, the fob not only works much farther away than most remotes, it can also tell you how much gas is in the vehicle, the pressure of the tires, the odometer reading and how long it's been since you engaged the remote start feature. What makes GM's unit unique is the fact that it's able to tie into the vehicle's electronic architecture, allowing it to offer certain features aftermarket units can't. Set to go on sale early next year, this super fob will be available for most of the GM's new SUVs and trucks for about $250.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1753
Old 11-06-06, 02:18 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a "hey cool" enhancement on the surface, but how often is a person going to use the features? And is it worth the extra bulk in your pants pocket?
Old 11-06-06, 03:47 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that's an awesome idea. I've always wanted some of the features my friends have on their Cliffords and Vipers. Some of the features may not be used, but if it's just a matter of a bit more programming why not. And the $250 on a $25K+ car isn't bad either. It's cheaper than going aftermarket and getting less features, that's for sure.
Old 11-06-06, 04:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So will this key still work as a smart key when you want it to and just give all the extra functions if you really feel like taking it out?

Originally Posted by ff_
Maybe a "hey cool" enhancement on the surface, but how often is a person going to use the features? And is it worth the extra bulk in your pants pocket?
If that is a normal sized keyring or even close to a normal size keyring in the caddy key pic... then that key is impressively small - I'd even be worried about ease of viewing the display on the go.
Old 11-06-06, 04:08 PM
LexFather

I also think that is a pretty awesome idea!

Old 11-06-06, 04:50 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool key fob! I want this so bad! It's an extra options from GM SUVs.
Old 11-06-06, 10:13 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not bad. I hope it also tells you if someone tapped the window.