Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota reports profit up 36 percent

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 05:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota reports profit up 36 percent

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's richest automaker, pre-dicted it would earn a record $13 billion this year after reporting a 34 percent surge in second-quarter profit, reflecting strong U.S. vehicles sales and a weaker yen.

Toyota's U.S. shares jumped Tuesday as the company's $3.4 billion profit for the three months ended Sept. 30, the second quarter of the Japanese fiscal year, exceeded investors'expectations.

"For the first half, Toyota posted record consolidated results across the board," Toyota Executive Vice President Mitsuo Kino****a said in a statement.

The quarterly results bolstered investors' confidence that Toyota's management is focusing as much on profitability as it does on growth.

The Japanese automaker is closing in on General Motors Corp., the world's largest automaker for more than 70 years, with plans to sell 9.8 million vehicles in 2008.

In the first nine months of this year, Toyota sold 6.61 million vehicles, compared with GM's sales of 6.89 million in the same period.

Recently, however, Toyota told investors it was aiming for a 10 percent profit margin  a level of profitability normally associated with luxury carmakers.

The Japanese automaker also announced that it was buying a 5.9 percent stake in Isuzu Motors Ltd., formerly one of GM's part-ners in Japan, for $373 million.

A year ago, Toyota bought part of GM's stake in Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., as the U.S. automaker sold assets, including minority holdings in Japanese automakers, to raise cash.

Toyota said it planned to work jointly with Isuzu on developing diesel engines and environmental technologies.

This year, Toyota has benefited from a decline in the Japanese yen relative to other major currencies that boosted its export earnings.

Toyota's exports to the United States have surged more than 70 percent so far this year, as demand for its vehicles outpaced the automaker's U.S. production capacity.

Toyota's U.S. sales are up 12 percent in a market that is down slightly overall. Its share of the U.S. market stood at 15.5 percent in October, helped by strong sales of the new RAV4 sport-utility vehicle, the introduction of the Yaris subcompact and new FJ Cruiser.

The automaker has just begun producing Tundra pickup trucks at a new plant in San Antonio, Texas, and it expects to build more factories in North America.

The weaker yen accounted for half of the positive contributions to Toyota's operating income, which rose 35 percent despite an increase in research and development spending, the company said in a statement.

Toyota said it would buy its Isuzu stake from two Japanese trading companies, Mitsubishi Corp. and Itochu Corp. Last spring, GM sold its 7.9 percent stake in Isuzu to Mitsubishi, Itochu and Mizuho Corporate Bank for $300 million as part of an effort to sell assets and conserve cash.
source : detnews
Old 11-08-06, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is awesome. toyota doesn't only get bigger, but they earn more and more money (and very comfortable profit margin as well)
Old 11-08-06, 05:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
this is awesome. toyota doesn't only get bigger, but they earn more and more money (and very comfortable profit margin as well)
it is crazy that Toyota has bigger profit margin for their complete operations than luxury maker BMW.

Not only that, but they are aiming or 10% profit margin, which is crazy for maker that produces millions of Yaris's, Camry's and Corolla's.
Old 11-08-06, 05:47 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need to take these profits and dump them into assuring Toyota remains the highest quality automaker.

...and they need to bring the Supra back.

They have so much money that they could sell a $40,000 Supra for $20,000
and they'd be just fine. Well, this wouldn't work because they'd have to slash all the other model prices. But seriously, why isn't Toyota building numerous sports cars? It shouldn't matter that there isn't a mass market for them.
Old 11-08-06, 06:07 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
But seriously, why isn't Toyota building numerous sports cars? It shouldn't matter that there isn't a mass market for them.
1) Toyota isn't good at making cars that handle well. When your philosophy is that people only want cheap, numb, disconnected, softly-sprung cocoons, you don't end up with many (any) sports cars.
2) For the past 6 years, it's SUVs that have been bringing in the big profits, and Toyota put its eggs in that basket by releasing no fewer than 9 (yes, you read that right, "9") SUVs.

Maybe with the current trend of smaller, more efficient vehicles, we'll see more sporty cars released. One can only hope.
Old 11-08-06, 06:21 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
1) Toyota isn't good at making cars that handle well. When your philosophy is that people only want cheap, numb, disconnected, softly-sprung cocoons, you don't end up with many (any) sports cars.
2) For the past 6 years, it's SUVs that have been bringing in the big profits, and Toyota put its eggs in that basket by releasing no fewer than 9 (yes, you read that right, "9") SUVs.

Maybe with the current trend of smaller, more efficient vehicles, we'll see more sporty cars released. One can only hope.
That's why I bring it up when talking about a company making more profit than all it's competition combined. They can dump a ton of money into developing a true sports car unlike any Toyota before it. We all know they should have something fighting the 350Z. I doubt if they brought back the Supra it would be a "cheap, numb, disconnected, softly-sprung cocoon".

I bet if Toyota wanted to, they could build something that felt and drove like a BMW. Toyota just hasn't wanted to. They build different types of cars but it doesn't mean that they are incapable of building something else.

Especially with billions in profits.
Old 11-08-06, 06:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Absolutely, they have funds to do it. But if Toyota is smart (and I bet they are), they're going to invest that money in things that make more money. That doesn't necessarily mean investing in new or improved cars.

I get the feeling that there aren't many mainstream sports cars that turn signifcant profits for an automaker. They tend to be expensive to produce, and don't sell in huge numbers. As a result, it takes a long time to recoup the investment. Look at the S2000 and NSX. They really haven't changed much since they were introduced ~6 and ~18 years ago (my gawd, has it really been 18 years...?). Honda just can't afford to make frequent changes to the designs, and still turn a profit.

All that being said, it still wouldn't hurt Toyota to consider producing something that would go up against the Z, S2000, M3, et.al. And I don't mean produce something that looks like it could compete against them. But that would actually compete against them.
Old 11-08-06, 06:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_

Yes your right. The last Supra handled poor. The MR-2 handled like crap. The IS and GS while not class leading, are poor handling cars. The Celica also handled like crap.
Toyota can make sporting cars IF IT WANTS. It just has not chosen to do so recently.

EVERYONE is selling SUVs, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, BMW, Benz, etc, so stop the Toyota bashing and be FAIR.

Old 11-08-06, 06:56 AM
LexFather

Bottom line without cars/trucks sharing everything, without poor interiors, and while not making the sportiest lineup, the market has responded they want Toyota/Lexus/Scion cars at a record level.

Kudos to Toyota and their management. Their challenge right now is to put a stop to the recent recalls and get quality back to #1 with record growth. They also do need to produce some sporting cars to bring help to an aging image.

Old 11-08-06, 07:53 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit that despite my knowledge that Toyota is only able to obtain such a healthy profit margin because of its high sales numbers and global distribution, which allow it to heavily disperse all static and administrative costs involved... I still feel weird looking at the price tag on a new lexus and thinking how much money they'll be making on me if I buy it.

Now the actual variable costs involved with producing the car are probably no different than the average caddy or whatnot, but still.

At least GM's profit margins have been picking up as well. They're not at 36%, in fact they're still struggling to make money, but at least they're not bleeding red.
Old 11-08-06, 08:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes your right. The last Supra handled poor. The MR-2 handled like crap. The IS and GS while not class leading, are poor handling cars. The Celica also handled like crap.
Toyota can make sporting cars IF IT WANTS. It just has not chosen to do so recently.

EVERYONE is selling SUVs, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, BMW, Benz, etc, so stop the Toyota bashing and be FAIR.
Anyhow, I guess you missed my point. If Toyota was good at making sports cars, it's likely that they'd still be doing so. I've never driven a Supra, but I know for a fact that the Celica, MR-2, IS, and GS are softly sprung vehicles that don't handle particularly well. If you're coming from driving Buicks all your life, I can see where you might be misled into thinking that they do. But in the greater scheme of things, they're still closer to being geezer pleasers, than they are to being real sports cars.

I look forward to having more discussions with you that are informed and unbiased.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-08-06 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 03:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_

you certainly dont have any clue on what you are talking about.

Toyota started with SUV's almost 70 years ago. Saying that they put all of their eggs into one basket 6 years ago just shows that you have no clue. Toyota is the biggest producer of SUV's around the world, and its Land Cruiser is the best selling real SUV in the world, for the past 55 years.

Celica has set an record on best handling FWD car in history in SCC Mag. In the same sense, MR2 set an record of best handling RWD car. For their class, both were top of the class handlers and very nimble cars.

Compared to MR2, most BMW's and MB's are buicks... in fact, all of them are buicks compared to that car. You clearly have no sense what true handling car is. There is no Porsche or Ferrari, let alone BMW or MB (LOL) that will give you handling feel of lightweight, midengined car such as Elise and

I think Clarkson said when new Miata was reviewed that you can have more fun in one lap with MRS than in day with new Miata.

So I dont know what do you considered as informed and unbiased, but you clearly have absolutly no clue about what you are talking about. I dont believe talking nonsense is considered as informative, lol.
Old 11-08-06, 04:03 PM
ninous26
Driver

Props to toyota, keep it up.
Old 11-08-06, 06:39 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
you certainly dont have any clue on what you are talking about.

Toyota started with SUV's almost 70 years ago. Saying that they put all of their eggs into one basket 6 years ago just shows that you have no clue. Toyota is the biggest producer of SUV's around the world, and its Land Cruiser is the best selling real SUV in the world, for the past 55 years.

Celica has set an record on best handling FWD car in history in SCC Mag. In the same sense, MR2 set an record of best handling RWD car. For their class, both were top of the class handlers and very nimble cars.

Compared to MR2, most BMW's and MB's are buicks... in fact, all of them are buicks compared to that car. You clearly have no sense what true handling car is. There is no Porsche or Ferrari, let alone BMW or MB (LOL) that will give you handling feel of lightweight, midengined car such as Elise and

I think Clarkson said when new Miata was reviewed that you can have more fun in one lap with MRS than in day with new Miata.

So I dont know what do you considered as informed and unbiased, but you clearly have absolutly no clue about what you are talking about. I dont believe talking nonsense is considered as informative, lol.
I don't know about the Celica being the best FWD handler, as it was said to be slightly right behind the Integra Type-R in handling, and the MR2 has always been a good handling car, not sure where he was going with those two cars being uninspired and not fun to drive cars
Old 11-08-06, 07:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
I don't know about the Celica being the best FWD handler, as it was said to be slightly right behind the Integra Type-R in handling, and the MR2 has always been a good handling car, not sure where he was going with those two cars being uninspired and not fun to drive cars
both were best FWD and RWD recorded in their test, of course with minor mods. Lifelong debate between Celica and Type-R, and most NewCelica.org members will disagree with you :-).

where he was going is that he is certainly an fanboy who pretends not to be one :-P

Quick Reply: Toyota reports profit up 36 percent