Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help contesting front plate ticket

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 03:14 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
If you don't go to UCLA then don't pay the ticket... They can't do anything to you if you are not a student/faculty/etc...
I was just thinking this.. Here in DFW at school the only thing they can do is force you to pay it next semester/year in order to get a new parking permit. Basically like he said if u don't go don't worry yourself. I got a speeding ticket on UTA campus here, I don't go there and have never heard anything else about it
Old 11-09-06, 03:25 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Once again, another person that somehow can't/won't accept responsibility. You knew the law going in. Pay it. Move on. Since it's not a fix-it, you got off pretty easy IMO.
Old 11-09-06, 03:26 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

They can report to DMV though..... Well at least the LMU security did to one of my buddies when he went to reregister there was a lien on it. Granted this was years ago.
Old 11-09-06, 05:04 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Oh my gosh --- UCPD is the WORST. I've was pulled over twice when I went there. They just drive aroud trying to intimidate people since there's no real crime to deal with. But yea, on the westside it seems like cops keep cracking down on the front plate thing. 3 of my friends have gotten them in the last year, 2 of them at 1am(!) parked in front of my apt. in Brentwood.

Sooo nitpicky. Do you have to go to court to prove you put the plate on? (I think that happens if you get a second violation for it)
Old 11-09-06, 05:28 PM
07IS350
Pole Position

You have a 40k car.....pay the 60 bucks man
Old 11-09-06, 06:24 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually glad you started this thread. We have hundreds of posts saying, “Yea, I don’t have my front plate on, but I’ve never been ticketed….etc…..” Well, I guess it does happen. We nerds who install our front plates feel a little better now.

At any rate, you rolled the dice and lost, so just pay up. And keep us posted if it happens again, OK?
Old 11-09-06, 07:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Don't do the crime if you can't do the time .....

Quit your snivelling and attempts to get out of a legitimate ticket. It was against the law and you got caught. Pay it and move on. $60 isn't going to kill you. Lesson learned.
Old 11-09-06, 08:27 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a front plate on any of my cars, period... I've paid, hmmmm, I dunno, maybe $500-$1000 over the past 5 or 6 years in front plate tickets... It's $50 in the DC area, and $80 in California (if I remember correctly, it's $80 if you refuse to "fix-it", maybe $100, I can't remember)

Anyway, it's a small price to pay to have my cars look nice... Hell, $1000 over 6 years to have every single one of my cars look crisp is the best $1000 I've ever spent towards the cars
Old 11-09-06, 09:14 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
If you don't go to UCLA then don't pay the ticket... They can't do anything to you if you are not a student/faculty/etc...
Actually, most university cops are DPS have jurisdiction over the entire state. For example, here in texas a UT cop can pull you over literally anywhere in the state of texas and give you a citation. I am sure ucla is the same. Sucks

Usually on those license plate tickets it's just a "show us you have it on now and we dismiss it" and a cop will walk outside to see that it's mounted.
Old 11-09-06, 09:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Just pay it and be done. Haggling to save a few $$ when the fees aren't that bad isn't worth your time. Plenty of ways to affix the plate and not create additional holes in the bumper. There are a few threads around here on just that.
Old 11-10-06, 01:36 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been caught twice without a front plate. Once I was caught for loud exhaust, but after telling him it was within the 95 dB legal level, he gave me a front plate ticket instead. The other time I was stuck in a police-checkpoint. After checking my license/registration, he gave me a fix-it ticket

Both times I tied the front plate to the front slabs of my front bumper with computer wire-ties. First time to sign off: the cop inside the station didn't bother walking all the way out to the parking lot, so he just took my words and I paid the $20 bucks. Second time the cop did come out, told me to be careful because not all cops will sign it off with wire-ties, and let me go.

Anyways, I would rather pay $60 than to deal with having it signed off by drilling into the bumper.
Old 11-10-06, 07:18 AM
Seadee456
Driver

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
I was just thinking this.. Here in DFW at school the only thing they can do is force you to pay it next semester/year in order to get a new parking permit. Basically like he said if u don't go don't worry yourself. I got a speeding ticket on UTA campus here, I don't go there and have never heard anything else about it
The entire UT system is connected to the DPS now. I got a ticket at UT Southwestern and UT Austin and they managed to track me down.

UT Cops don't have jurisdiction in all of Texas, only counties where UT has property in, which turns out to be like all but 10 counties.

As for the ticket, you may want to check Cali law. I know in some states, you just have to have a front facing license plate so people put both the plates on the back, one facing out and one facing in giving you a front facing place.

Last edited by Seadee456; 11-10-06 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-10-06, 01:12 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

You knew you were breaking the law so just pay the damn ticket and don't waste the courts time.

I run my truck without a front plate too and i'm willing to pay up if I get ticketed.
Old 11-10-06, 01:41 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the UCLA campus issued you the ticket and you're not a student, I would just not pay the ticket. Most of the time with parking tickets, you will get an "official" ticket in the mail.

I know when I was a student at Berkeley, I got parking tickets all the time and if they were issued by the city, you can't run and hide. If it was issued by the campus or a private parking garage, they really can't do anything to you.
Old 11-10-06, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jsquared
i think it looks absolutely horrible w/the front plate on. please give us more info.

DMV laws are not necessarily dependent on what one THINKS, yet that is no excuse, you still have to follow them.

Tell the truth, pay the ticket, put the front plate back on even if you DON'T like how it looks, and learn from the experience. It will save you a lot MORE trouble later on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-10-06 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: help contesting front plate ticket