Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

help contesting front plate ticket

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-06, 07:39 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
If you don't go to UCLA then don't pay the ticket... They can't do anything to you if you are not a student/faculty/etc...
Now I can't speak for every single university police dept., but reading the above quote at face value--so you're saying that if I'm observed speeding thru campus and a campus police sees me...said campus police can't and/or won't ticket me for speeding if I'm not a student of the university that the campus police serves? Somehow I find this really hard to believe...
Old 11-11-06, 02:51 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

pay for it and move on. I've learned this in a hard way. Trust me. Not worth your time fighting for 60 dollars.

Plus, usually, they are fix it ticket unless the cop was an a$$. Slap the plate with double tape and go get a signature from an officer. And pay 10 bucks. That's it!
Old 11-11-06, 05:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Inoperable vehicles are not able to be ticketed for no front plate. If you are replacing the front bumper and go in for a bite of food - would you expect to come back out to a ticket for not having a front bumper?

Hell no. This car could be disabled and the plate could have been removed to avoid theft. Fact is, these bored losers are just walking around looking to mess with you since their mommy didn't love them as a child.

Either way, they can't ticket you for no front plate when the car is unmanned and immobile. What if you were replacing the L-plate bulbs and had removed the rear plate, I guess they'd ticket you for operating a vehicle with no plate, even though it was unmanned and completely abandoned? Can you ticket a car with a blown motor sitting in the driveway with having expired tags even though it hasn't moved in 2 yrs?

Please, stick this one back up this guy's azz real good. Same kind of guy that looks at you and calls you "son" when he is commanding you like a slave. I'd fight until he was fired IF it was not a fix it ticket and was actually a fine.

Sometimes I think people in CA are so used to being told how to live and where to stand when they scratch their *** that they don't even try and fight some of these ludicrous laws, fines, and bullies.
Old 11-11-06, 07:02 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toneman
Now I can't speak for every single university police dept., but reading the above quote at face value--so you're saying that if I'm observed speeding thru campus and a campus police sees me...said campus police can't and/or won't ticket me for speeding if I'm not a student of the university that the campus police serves? Somehow I find this really hard to believe...
exactly, and unfortunately, at UCLA, it's UCPD, which is its own police department and has all of the same authority as LAPD, so I would not even try to contest it
Old 11-11-06, 07:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Inoperable vehicles are not able to be ticketed for no front plate. If you are replacing the front bumper and go in for a bite of food - would you expect to come back out to a ticket for not having a front bumper?

Hell no. This car could be disabled and the plate could have been removed to avoid theft. Fact is, these bored losers are just walking around looking to mess with you since their mommy didn't love them as a child.

Either way, they can't ticket you for no front plate when the car is unmanned and immobile. What if you were replacing the L-plate bulbs and had removed the rear plate, I guess they'd ticket you for operating a vehicle with no plate, even though it was unmanned and completely abandoned? Can you ticket a car with a blown motor sitting in the driveway with having expired tags even though it hasn't moved in 2 yrs?

Please, stick this one back up this guy's azz real good. Same kind of guy that looks at you and calls you "son" when he is commanding you like a slave. I'd fight until he was fired IF it was not a fix it ticket and was actually a fine.

Sometimes I think people in CA are so used to being told how to live and where to stand when they scratch their *** that they don't even try and fight some of these ludicrous laws, fines, and bullies.

ummm what??

I think front plate is req' by law.
Old 11-11-06, 11:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

First, let's squash a couple of popular myths.

From here.

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 5200-5206

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
The law does not say forward facing. It says front and rear.

Also from here.

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
So, any suggestion that the car was delivered this way could result in the dealer either being fined, or the dealer producing a document indicating your refusal to have a bracket installed. While we all complain about Corvettes not having plates, they must have provisions for mounting them by state law. Again, choosing to run them or not is up to the owner.

Finally, from here.

(c) A vehicle displaying a copy of the report of sale may be operated without license plates or registration card until either of
the following, whichever occurs first:
(1) The license plates and registration card are received by the purchaser.
(2) A six-month period, commencing with the date of sale of the vehicle, has expired.
It amazes me that people would pay fines to support a fashion statement, but that is one of the things that makes us all different.

Pay up. You got busted.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-11-06 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 12:58 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

<snip>

Your statement would not necessarily apply for every state; in addition, you mentioned one little but important scenario that would preclude a cop from issuing a no-front-plate ticket for an "unmanned and immobile" vehicle--the fact that said car is possibly parked in a driveway--i.e., private property. Again--I can't speak for every state but I would venture to say that in more than a few states--if a no front-plate vehicle is parked on a public street, it is fair game for a no-front-plate ticket, regardless of whether or not it is unmanned and/or immobile. Whether the vehicle owner can legally have the citation removed is another matter, but to insinuate/generalize that no car missing a front license plate can't get ticketed just because it is unoccupied and unoperational is not completely valid.

Regarding your front bumper analogy--if you're "getting a bite to eat", how would it be possible that your "missing the front bumper" vehicle is necessarily "inoperable"--did you walk or secure other means of transportation to the food joint and your "inoperable" car w/ the missing front bumper just happened to be there?
Old 11-13-06, 09:54 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Can you ticket a car with a blown motor sitting in the driveway with having expired tags even though it hasn't moved in 2 yrs?
Heck yeah you can, what happens in your town may differ from other towns. As far as your question...I lived in a town and if your tags were expired even w/out a blown engine and sat there for 2 years w/out a car cover it was considered abandoned and towed away.
Old 11-14-06, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JJG430
I have had 4 no lisence plate tickets. In different citys by luck. I go into court and tell the judge the car was just painted in the front end and the body shop has to wait 6 weeks to put the clear 3m tape and the plate on. This always works. I have actually got out of more of them by just telling the officer who pulled me over that excuse.

Well, if the Judge or prosecutor doesn't order a copy of the body shop's records to verify your story, then that is THEIR stupidity ....and under those circumstances, law or no law, you probably DESERVE to beat the damn ticket.
Old 11-14-06, 09:46 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, I like how we go from a college rent-a-cop front plate ticket to Judges and towing away abandoned cars with blown engines and auto-body shop records...

Old 11-14-06, 10:11 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if the Judge or prosecutor doesn't order a copy of the body shop's records to verify your story, then that is THEIR stupidity ....and under those circumstances, law or no law, you probably DESERVE to beat the damn ticket.
So you’re saying the judge or prosecutor must assume the defendant is committing perjury, and should therefore take the extra time at taxpayers’ expense to make sure; all for a routine front plate ticket. Besides this sort of thing being a destroyer of our judicial system, why isn’t anyone here saying that committing perjury is wrong? Or have we all adopted the Clintonesque position that lying under oath is OK under certain circumstances?
Old 11-14-06, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
So you’re saying the judge or prosecutor must assume the defendant is committing perjury, and should therefore take the extra time at taxpayers’ expense to make sure; all for a routine front plate ticket. Besides this sort of thing being a destroyer of our judicial system, why isn’t anyone here saying that committing perjury is wrong? Or have we all adopted the Clintonesque position that lying under oath is OK under certain circumstances?
No, I'm not saying that. But if you, as a cop or prosecutor, are going to accuse someone of breaking a DMV law, and charge him or her with a fine, you need some evidence to support your position.

If a person claims he or she had a car painted, and the outcome of a court case depends on who is telling the truth, then BOTH sides need documentation for their cases....in this case, a bill and records from the shop.

I know she can be loud and arrogant sometimes, but have you ever seen the look on Judge Judy's face ( and hear the tone of her voice ) when someone tries to pull one past her without proper documentation? I can't describe it...you have to see it for yourself.
Old 11-14-06, 10:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a notorious issue with the Mexico City and Mexico State (adjoins the Federal District). My home state Florida does not have front plates, so by habit we don't put anything on the front. Most of my foreign friends also ditch the front plate, so it does not give the police an easy target (you have may have a termporary paper plate), but both states have front and rear plates. I can't begin to count how many times the police tell me also sorts of tales of how I must have a front plate due to the driving day restriction laws (I am now able to get an emissions sticker to drive every day).

Several of my friends who don't want to go through the hassle use false plates with different letters and numbers (the key on the driving day). I always love it when a Gringo pops up with a false plate with profanity or something else in bad taste. I have considered a Lexmex plate (nobody cares down here) unless you are locally plated.
Old 11-14-06, 11:11 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I'm not saying that. But if you, as a cop or prosecutor, are going to accuse someone of breaking a DMV law, and charge him or her with a fine, you need some evidence to support your position.

If a person claims he or she had a car painted, and the outcome of a court case depends on who is telling the truth, then BOTH sides need documentation for their cases....in this case, a bill and records from the shop.

I know she can be loud and arrogant sometimes, but have you ever seen the look on Judge Judy's face ( and hear the tone of her voice ) when someone tries to pull one past her without proper documentation? I can't describe it...you have to see it for yourself.
Yes, I watch Judge Judy all the time. She would ask the defendant for proof that the car had been painted. (“You didn’t bring your documentation? Where did you think you were going today, to a tea party?”) She would then rule the fine must be paid. At no time would she go back and start calling body shops herself.

This is not a jury trail. Both sides in this case consist of the ticketing cop and the defendant. The judge has to prove nothing, nor offer any evidence, other than hearing what the cop has to say. The cop does not have to call any body shops. All the judge has to do is give her official opinion based on the evidence presented to her.

And Judge Judy is very intolerant to those lying in court. That’s what surprised me about your post. You never considered that as important to the discussion.
Old 11-15-06, 11:26 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

you are wasting your time fighting this ticket. It used to cost me $10 a ticket in Cali, just need to get it signed off. I think its up to $25 now (thanks Gray Davis!).

Just not worth your time to fight it.

Quick Reply: help contesting front plate ticket