Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW News: M5 finally gets a manual/535 diesel coming to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 03:17 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
SMG is a second-rate gearbox.....no arguements there. But a stick alone is not the answer for a lot of people. The best solution, IMO, is to have both a stick AND a VW / Audi-type DSG gearbox, although, granted, the copyright and infringement laws may give VW and Audi exclusive rights to this type of gearbox for a certain number of years.
Second rate? SMG III is much, much better than SMG II. While it may not be DSG, it hardly sucks (referring more to the poster above you).
Old 11-14-06, 03:19 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Any computer that gets between you and the car means less control. SMGs are well known to go through fits of bucking and in general be pretty miserable in slow moving city type traffic. You can easily control this with a full manual by just coasting and getting on and off the clutch as needed rather than bucking.
If you are bucking either 1) you don't know how to drive the SMG properly (imho for most it takes a decent amount of seat time to become smooth at it, a couple of test drives will not be suffice). or 2) you are not aware you can adjust the settings (S1-S6). All you have to do is search the BMW forums on SMG to dispel many of the "myths" of owning a car equipped with SMG. There are plenty of people who hated SMG at first drive.

Last edited by OC 335d; 11-14-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Second rate? SMG III is much, much better than SMG II. While it may not be DSG, it hardly sucks (referring more to the poster above you).
Well, not having actually driven an SMG III ( I plan to in the near future ), I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take your word for it......my comments refer primarily to earlier versions.

But I have YET to see a gearbox of ANY type......including CVT's, that I thought was better than the DSG. The DSG, in my opinion, is a marvelous piece of engineering.
Old 11-15-06, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Exactly There's no real substitute for a true manual with a foot-operated clutch.
yup, pretty much what i meant. i want the feel, care less about the 0.2sec.