Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 05:19 PM
stokdd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket advice

Background: I'm 19 with a clean record.

A few days ago I had the pleasure of receiving a court invite from one of the town's finest. 48 in a 25, to be exact. Had just replaced my fuel filter and give her a little gas to see if I had gained any power...

Anyway, I am prepared to pay the fine ($182) and continue on with my life, but the Officer suggested I take it to court because my record is clean. I just need help deciding what to do.... I did a Google search on this subject - literally every website I read says take it to court and plead Not Guilty, whether you are or not.

One in particular suggest requesting the following from the police agency:
  1. Both sides of the officer's copy of the ticket
  2. Any statements of the accused made to the officer
and
  1. The make, model, and serial number of the radar unit, and its owner's manual
  2. The officer's training record specific to the said radar unit
  3. Any repair history of the unit
  4. Records of any calibration equipment such as tuning forks
  5. Official procedure for radar equipment testing and operator training standards
Question^ I live not a mile from the police station/courthouse and could very easily go there in person to resuest said information. On the contrary, the website that suggests requestion this info says to write a formal request via certified mail. Any insight on whether I should send a written request or request in person?

I've never done this sort of this before...is the court date on the ticket when I'll actually be going to court or is that when I have to either pay or plead not guilty and receive a different court date? If it is the actualy court date, how would go about getting an extension?

I'm probably going to have more question if I decide to take it to court...maybe I could just take ti to court, pleade quilty with an explanation, and hope to get the fine reduced. I don't know
Old 11-13-06, 06:49 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

just pay a traffic lawyer to do everything for you, you won't even have to show up to court. I've never lost and no one I know has ever lost with a lawyer. Its only $100, cheaper than paying the ticket.
Old 11-13-06, 07:54 PM
stokdd
Driver

Actually thinking about pleading guilty and asking for 6mo driving probation or something...
Old 11-13-06, 08:01 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's called a deferred finding.

Check the box on the back of the ticket that gives you the option for the mitigation hearing. Send it to the address at the bottom of the ticket. By choosing the mitigation hearing, you accept the charges, but wish to explain your case for a smaller citation / sentence.

They send you a hearing date. Go in there and tell the judge that you've been a very responsible driver thus far and you made a mistake. If the judge is nice, which in most cases, they are unless they're having a bad day, they'll cut your fine in half. You pay the new amount and stay clean for the next six months / one year depending on what the law says in your town or county. Stay clean for that time and you're good to go.

If you're a pretty busy person, wait a few days and then take the ticket to the court that gave you the ticket. It'll say on the back of the ticket where you can take it to choose a date for your hearing. If you got pulled over my state patrol, you're going to the county court. City/town, city court.
Old 11-13-06, 08:17 PM
stokdd
Driver

There is no option for mitigation hearing...the only boxes to check anywhere on the ticket are for if I'm just going to pay the fine outright.
Old 11-13-06, 08:27 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I would get a court date set. Plead not guilty, go to court and plead your case. The officer who wrote the ticket must be present in order to validate the speeding ticket. You have a good chance that he/she will not show up. If they do not show, the ticket should be thrown out. If they do show, you might still get the ticket reduced. Never, Never admit guilt. Innocent until proven guilty.
Old 11-13-06, 09:43 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LXMN
I would get a court date set. Plead not guilty, go to court and plead your case. The officer who wrote the ticket must be present in order to validate the speeding ticket. You have a good chance that he/she will not show up. If they do not show, the ticket should be thrown out. If they do show, you might still get the ticket reduced. Never, Never admit guilt. Innocent until proven guilty.
He was doing 48 in a 25. How is he not guilty? that's almost DOUBLE the regular speed limit.

That not guilty plea is not gunna fly. the judge is just going to laugh you ought of the court room. If you really want to avoid the mitigation hearing, do what one of the previous posters said and get a lawyer.
Old 11-13-06, 09:44 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Hmmmm, why did the cop to say fight it? Could that be a hint that he isn't going to show up in court over a ticket or he needs the OT for some cash?
Old 11-13-06, 09:46 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

I would get an attorney too, just don't ever get an attorney for those tickets that caught you on camera...too easy to beat.
Old 11-14-06, 10:13 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kepeli
Hmmmm, why did the cop to say fight it? Could that be a hint that he isn't going to show up in court over a ticket or he needs the OT for some cash?
If it's for a mitigation hearing, the cop doesn't need to show up. If it's to contest the citation, the cop will show up.

Most cops tell you to check the mitigation hearing box. A. the cop needs the numbers to prove his worth. B. the city needs the money.

He won't pull you over and give you a ticket just so you can contest it and walk.
Old 11-14-06, 11:04 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Woogie
It's called a deferred finding.

Check the box on the back of the ticket that gives you the option for the mitigation hearing. Send it to the address at the bottom of the ticket. By choosing the mitigation hearing, you accept the charges, but wish to explain your case for a smaller citation / sentence.

They send you a hearing date. Go in there and tell the judge that you've been a very responsible driver thus far and you made a mistake. If the judge is nice, which in most cases, they are unless they're having a bad day, they'll cut your fine in half. You pay the new amount and stay clean for the next six months / one year depending on what the law says in your town or county. Stay clean for that time and you're good to go.

If you're a pretty busy person, wait a few days and then take the ticket to the court that gave you the ticket. It'll say on the back of the ticket where you can take it to choose a date for your hearing. If you got pulled over my state patrol, you're going to the county court. City/town, city court.
I tried this at court before for my speeding ticket and the judge blatently told me "We dont do that here in Florida"....lazy buttwipe. GL though with your case.
Old 11-15-06, 10:48 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JJG430
I have had 17 tickets and none are on my record. I actually got two this week...
What kind of driver are you to have gotten 17 tickets...and 2 in one week? Heck, I don't consider myself the greatest driver in the world by any means...and yet, in 24+ years (and counting) of licensed driving I haven't even come close to getting that many tickets.

Doesn't matter if none of those 17 tickets are on your record--it would seem that you don't take operating a motor vehicle seriously enough if you've been cited that many times...
Old 11-15-06, 11:02 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Woogie
He was doing 48 in a 25. How is he not guilty? that's almost DOUBLE the regular speed limit.

That not guilty plea is not gunna fly. the judge is just going to laugh you ought of the court room. If you really want to avoid the mitigation hearing, do what one of the previous posters said and get a lawyer.
Doesn't matter how guilty he was. I have done the same and everyone I know, we all use the same lawyer. This is America, as long as everyone gets paid, the court, the lawyer, its a win win. There is usually no trial, the lawyer just cuts the court in on the action for a dismissal. You can buy freedom here. Its either that or tie up the court room with cases and cost the state even more money.

Just get a lawyer and be done with it. I used to be like you, always on the fence, now after getting a lawyer I'll never go without one. $100 is a big enough fine to discourage you, don't make it any worse by going to court without a lawyer or paying the fine.
Old 11-18-06, 05:13 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I got a ticket once for speeding, which I was not, for $100.00. This made me decide to fight it. I showed up in court, and with no officer to contest the ticket, the case was dismissed. I had won. This was in the Emerald City by the way. (Seattle)