Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car stereo irritations (vent)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 05:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Car stereo irritations (vent)

I can appreciate a well assembled sound system. What I and my neighbors don't like are those who feel that they are entitled to blast the system so loud it rattles the house at the early morning or late hours of the day. For that matter the intrusive system isn't welcomed at anytime.

We live behind a market and at lunch hour, it seems folk like to park in back right next to the homes and blast the systems while eating. No, for one, we'll call the sheriff for disturbing the peace/noise pollution. Any of you with babies...you know what it's like when the little one is finally asleep so you can tend other things. I don't understand the mentality some feel that their music is welcomed in the residential neighborhoods.

In similar, to those who think it is appropriate to do tire testing by burning out or doughnuts. Ironically one such person lost it and drove into the light fixture. When the sheriff arrived from the commotion, the neighbors clapped. That was a howl.

All we request is some respect and consideration for the people residing in the homes where you play your system.
Old 11-15-06, 05:33 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats one of the reasons why I left the stereo install business. People like to share their music, for the most part they prefer loud as opposed to quality. I eventually got pretty sick of it. Most of these guys ear drums are gonna be gone by the age of 40...have fun now, regret it latter.

Damn I feel old I'm only 25 hahaha
Old 11-15-06, 08:02 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like listening to music somewhat loud. One thing I can appreciate about my Lexus is it's barely audible outside of the car. When I have the windows down even a crack, I put the volume down or usually turn off the music altogether. Unfortunately I find it's only the people who get annoyed by other people's noise pollution that are mindful of their own.
Old 11-15-06, 08:15 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vin 78
Most of these guys ear drums are gonna be gone by the age of 40...have fun now, regret it latter.
Might be a good idea to buy some stock in hearing aide companies in about 20 years.
Old 11-15-06, 08:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Molotov cocktail.
Old 11-15-06, 08:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Most of these guys ear drums are gonna be gone by the age of 40...have fun now, regret it latter.
Unfortunately........ you're likely dead wrong.

bass frequencies are merely pleasant for a massage, they are not damaging to the ears in most cases. You stand a greater chance of stopping the heart before the ears take any abuse at all. High frequencies at higher SPL is what you gotta watch. Most of these tweaks stick all their change in the subs.
Old 11-15-06, 11:01 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Unfortunately........ you're likely dead wrong.

bass frequencies are merely pleasant for a massage, they are not damaging to the ears in most cases. You stand a greater chance of stopping the heart before the ears take any abuse at all. High frequencies at higher SPL is what you gotta watch. Most of these tweaks stick all their change in the subs.
We were talking about loud music in general...I don't know about you, but most people like to listen to music with bass in ADDITION to mids and highs. So usually when there's loud bass, it accompanies LOUD mids/highs...now forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that where most of the damage happens (as you stated)? There's no doubt that anything above 500 hz. (for example) will eventually kill your ears.
After installing for nearly 10 years - I feel traumatized from all the loud music. That's why I eventually pulled all my equipment, and went with something much more basic. To this day I can't stand loud music...music is meant for the listener, not the whole block, that's just flaunting their sh&t!

Last edited by vin 78; 11-15-06 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 11:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea. I never bump my music loud when driving around. Everytime I get to a stoplight, I politely turn down my music so they can't hear that's in my car. I dont like it when people are able to hear my music
Old 11-15-06, 11:47 PM
ninous26
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yea. I never bump my music loud when driving around. Everytime I get to a stoplight, I politely turn down my music so they can't hear that's in my car. I dont like it when people are able to hear my music
Me neither. and I also put the music down at traffic lights. I had having friends ride with me.... they always put the volume on the highest.
Old 11-16-06, 06:45 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Being in the industry of selling these high powered systems makes me see both sides.
Kids and people can listen to their music however they like it and unfortunately there will be that select few that don't have manners and wont turn it down when entering a neighborhood at night. I love my music loud always have always will bu tI know enough to turn it down when its need to be turned down.
Old 11-16-06, 07:55 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Kids and people can listen to their music however they like it
As long as it's not affecting other people. I shouldn't have to listen to someone else's stereo rattling my car windows. And I shouldn't have to go through the process of explaining to my kids what that gansta rapper meant when he was dropping ******-effing f-bombs, and talking about booties and hoes and biches.

Last edited by ff_; 11-16-06 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 09:25 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

We were talking about loud music in general...I don't know about you, but most people like to listen to music with bass in ADDITION to mids and highs.
Not these kids, they only have money for subs, as said before. There's a lot more silver spoons on CL, but most people are scraping for a sub amp, they don't have $2k to spend on mids, amps, eq's, etc..........
Old 11-16-06, 10:05 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

How about some where it's totally highs-all tweaters and nothing else
It's piercing to the ears
Old 11-16-06, 11:24 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Not these kids, they only have money for subs, as said before. There's a lot more silver spoons on CL, but most people are scraping for a sub amp, they don't have $2k to spend on mids, amps, eq's, etc..........
RA40 didn't mention anything about kids- these guys work at a market behind his home. So I'm pretty sure they have some money to spend on ear bleeding 6x9's
Old 11-16-06, 01:14 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

In my condo complex, there's this guy who's probably in his late 20s or early 30s, drives a late-model Cadillac STS and bumps his rap/hip-hop almost every time with the windows down (even late at night like past 10PM). It gets me super annoyed esp. when I'm doing schoolwork or sleeping, and if he does it again, I'm going to stick a big-*** note on his windshield that says "Your music sucks, and so does your lame American whip."

Quick Reply: Car stereo irritations (vent)