Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Troopers squawk over ticket reward

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 11:25 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine was 82 in a 65, Mass Turnpike, three lanes each way and no traffic, before 8 AM.
Old 11-20-06, 12:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow what a bunch of BS!

If they give a verbal warning do they still do the paper work to show the person who got the warning and such? If so then it's not like they did any less work or have any less proof or accountability to show that they are working and not sitting around reading a book in their car... lol.

They might as well just put speed cameras up all over the place like they have in the UK.

To add to this, the state where I live just turned down a bill proposing to make all speed trap towns (small towns that get 50% or more of their revenue from speeding tickets obviously by running excessive radar with ridiculously low speed limits) have green speed limit signs.

Their reasoning? Because if you see the green sign you'll know there's probably a cop out and you'll slow down. Wait... you just said I'll slow down when I see the sign? And this is a bad thing? I thought the purpose of speeding tickets was to get people to slow down... so wouldn't that be mission accomplished? Oh yeah, then you guys wouldn't be making any money and having the opportunity to entertain yourselves by picking on simple civilians.

Between that and the taser video I just watched where some kid at UCLA got tased 6 times because he didn't have or didn't produce his UCLA student ID when asked to show it by a guard in the library and then when they tried to arrest him he resisted so they tased him 6 times (this is 6 cops vs 1 chubby outta shape 19 year old kid) instead of just cuffing him...

sigh...
Old 11-21-06, 07:02 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I asked about the circumstances because my experience in Texas (I lived there for a year a long time ago and in visits since) has been they're reasonable there. I mean, you were in the middle of nowhere it sounds like, he prob. only clocked you (since you hit brakes) at maybe 10-20 over, and he just told you to slow down, and I expect you didn't continue at 95 down that road! Don't you have a detector by the way?
The trooper wasn't actively scanning for speeding vehicles. We were both driving in opposite directions and I wasn't going to pass him at 95mph.

He clocked me I believe at 84mph in a 65mph zone.

I use my eyes instead of relying on a detector, the road was straight and flat enough that I'd see a trooper before he could clock me. And since the trooper probably instant owned me a detector wouldn't have helped.

Him being in a pickup just caught me off guard. I didn't notice he was a trooper till he was right in front of me.

Some districts in Texas are strict about writing tickets, but generally police aren't overly zealous at issueing citations. I've been in the NE (NJ PA NY) and noticed police aren't shy to handing them out.