Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking about an E55

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 12:06 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Here's an E55 drifting..... LOL. Looks to be a pretty versatile platform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_lQR3E_wwo&NR
Old 11-19-06, 07:09 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
The car mags seemed to like the refinement of the E63. Did you
not feel that it was a better street car than the E55?

About the reliability issue you have probably been very lucky which is
great. They are excellent cars when they are working well.

My friend's E class was so unreliable and developed so many expensive to
fix and hard to find electronic problems that he got rid of the car and said
he'd never buy MB again. I've also seen a few Benzes just die in the middle
of the road. You can also check out Consumer Reports for which
cars have been good and bad and E class has been bad for at least 5
years. I will try to get the most recent copy and put up the info on the
E class here.
I did not feel that much difference in the handling of the 63 vs the 55. What I did notice was the 63 power delivery was much more linear than the 55. The 55 puts you back in the seat where as the 63 seems to build the power more slowly. It's all about the torque that makes the 55 feel like that.
Old 11-19-06, 08:01 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Here's an E55 drifting..... LOL. Looks to be a pretty versatile platform. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_lQR3E_wwo&NR
That's a W202 C43 AMG, not E55.
Old 11-19-06, 10:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that Lexus interiors are much prettier than MB, or BMW for that matter, and that Lexus controls are hands down the best and easiest to learn, however the new generation Lexus ES, IS and GS are using terribly cheap materials, they are poorly and flimzy built, and quite frankly the new LS didnt impress me either. When I was at the Taste of Lexus event, there was an LS460 on the floor, and it had the passenger B-pillar interior panel fall off. The GS450h that I test drove felt like its dash was falling apart. The GS is now missing those plush leather door inserts, and the new GS seats feel cheap compared to the 2nd gen. All in all I believe that out of the current Lexus lineup, the SC430 has the best built interior, surpassing even the LS460, and just about any other car on the road.

When it comes to MB however, I always felt that their interiors were terrible, besides for the S class, which is nicely built, however still suffering from poorly designed controls. The C and E classes have ugly interior, seemingly cheap materials, however surprisingly enough they somehow feel solid and never suffer from any squeaks or rattles.

Me personally, I happen to be very **** when it comes to interiors and controls, and I couldn't live with E class no matter how good its engine is. I couldn't live with the new GS either. I'm just hoping that Acura stops being stubborn and drops a V8/V10 into the new RL, so it can be my next car. Now the RL is a perfect example of how modern interior should be built.

Last edited by Och; 11-19-06 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 05:45 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has an e55 with APU mods. Yes it's very fast. Broke down once already and he has 35k on clock.
I miss his brabus E-v12 more though.
Old 11-20-06, 12:05 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we use to own a sl500 and a cl500 both were crap, the door panels were loose and coming apart. in our sl we had ac problems, the hydraulic pump for the convertible went out, we also had a gas line leak . In the cl, the coolant system went out, etc, etc...

if i had to go euro again i would go bmw over mb, and most likely lease rather then own so i can avoid the long term problems
Old 11-20-06, 02:13 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. The relaibility seems to still be an issue. Some people claim tohave great experiences, but then CR says otherwise. The car does seem like a truly versatile platform. In regards to the plain looks comment, I have to disagree. I think the car looks extremely aggressive, and the person who had the point about the stealthy appearance is absolutely dead on, and I love that about the car.

Hey Seize, how did they lower that modified E55? I thought it had air suspension and there wasn't an easy way to lower it.

I'll have to test drive the new GS as well as the production model LS. I feel like if I were to buy another Lexus, I wouldn't worry about it at all. It feels like a safe investment and a car that I would keep for 10+ years atleast. After all I'm still rockin my 94 LS Thats what I'm most worried about with the E55. But I really want to own some Ferrari's with people sitting in the back.
Old 11-20-06, 02:42 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
Hey Seize, how did they lower that modified E55? I thought it had air suspension and there wasn't an easy way to lower it.
I don't know what type of suspension is on the white one. I'm pretty sure the E55 has some sort of air suspension. My cousin has a module that adjusts the ride height and can be controlled from inside the car.

my cousin's dropped E55

Old 11-20-06, 03:30 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The air suspension can be lowered via StarDiagnosis or some other module by Brabus, Kleemann, etc.
Old 11-20-06, 04:37 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate E55 AMGs

because I don't have one

your cousins black E55 looks killer Seize.