Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Teen in orange Celica hits school bus which falls 30 feet off hwy overpass, killing 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 10:55 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first reaction was "why in the hell did the bus driver swerve??" I'm sorry, but a bus driver (any driver for that matter) needs to ALWAYS be aware of their surroundings. Swerving to avoid a side collision while on an overpass just isn't a good idea. Plus, the Celica couldn't possibly affect the bus much if it in fact was a side-swipe type of collision.
Hmmm i was wondering about the same thing here
A celica should have like no effect on a gigantic school bus...
Old 11-21-06, 02:44 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before we jump on this guy, why not seat belts?
Old 11-21-06, 03:01 PM
DemonIS300
Driver

usually your first natural reaction is to swerve no matter what car you are in to aviod collision. I can't really blame the bus driver for swerving because i use to drive a truck myself and once you drive a truck, you'll understand how more idiotic other drivers are. Its not fun driving a truck especially when everyone cuts on front and hits their brakes hard. Trucks and buses takes time to slow down. Yeah you could have plow down the celica but do you really think you would when you are driving the bus? I know i wouldn't, first thing i would do is swerve.
Old 11-21-06, 03:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonIS300
usually your first natural reaction is to swerve no matter what car you are in to aviod collision. I can't really blame the bus driver for swerving because i use to drive a truck myself and once you drive a truck, you'll understand how more idiotic other drivers are. Its not fun driving a truck especially when everyone cuts on front and hits their brakes hard. Trucks and buses takes time to slow down. Yeah you could have plow down the celica but do you really think you would when you are driving the bus? I know i wouldn't, first thing i would do is swerve.

I agree. That is kind of like asking any of us driving our Lexus not to swerve if a guy on a bike or moped nearly side swipes us on the highway.
Old 11-21-06, 05:48 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not passing judgement on typical vehicle drivers (except the young idiots in Mustangs tend to be, well, idiots), but I know that the bus drivers around my area are NOT very safe drivers. I don't personally feel safe driving around them. I almost got into a deadly crash once in high school because a school bus pulled right out in front of me like I was never even there. I would've had my entire roofline ripped off, which more than likely would've taken my head with it.

If I still live here when I have a family and my kids are in school, I'll be driving them to school in the morning, or have mom do it, or something, because I absolutely do not trust the school bus drivers taking the responsibility of other peoples lives into their hands.
Old 11-21-06, 06:53 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

my HS bus driver killed a drunk who jumped in her lane. She moved as far off as she could without ending up in a ditch.

If she were a bad driver I suppose she could swerved into the ditch.
Old 11-21-06, 08:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That road is only a few miles from my parents house in Huntsville. I have been on that same 565 overpass several times in the past few years. It is kinda of hard to imagine something going off of it with the reinforcements but the bus must have hit it at the right angle to go over. Just saw where a 4th child died in the hospital. That has got to be a horrible experience being in a bus that plunges off a bridge to the ground.
Old 11-22-06, 09:51 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how was the bus driver found still on the overpass. did he bail out on the kids?
Old 11-22-06, 11:08 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

wow thats crazy!!!