Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IMO, the current Mercedes SL=future classic

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Exclamation IMO, the current Mercedes SL=future classic

Heck, I like the previous gen SL. After really scoping them out in person and in pictures and sitting inside, the car speaks classic. Its been out since what, maybe 2002/2003 and it still looks new and fresh. It may not be as tank built as the previous SL but its still a very solid car, IMO.

The newly revised SL has the new Benz 5.5 V-8, heck the old SL 55 (AMG) was a 5.5 liter.

Just looking at it, this is just a beautiful car. Just beautiful and IMO has not aged A BIT.

I already am sick thinking the next SL will have giant wheel arches from a damn SUV

Old 11-21-06, 02:12 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree they are a very classy and beautiful car. When they first came out I was like WOW every single time I saw one. The problem is in Southern California is they are literally everywhere and that appeal has gone away. I don't even look twice when seeing one anymore.
Old 11-21-06, 02:27 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily, I don't think you will have to worry about a restyled SL for awhile....I would bet another 4-5 years at least.

I never realized how darn close they look to the SLR....even the lines of the car. I will have to post pics of mine once I get it back from the stealer.
Old 11-21-06, 04:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

SL are one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Just simply elegenat and beautiful!
Old 11-21-06, 04:30 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I saw a silver SL last night sitting in the parking lot at the local grocery store, and I almost whipped out my camera to take a few shots. MAN I love that car...

Javier
Old 11-21-06, 04:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the SC430 much better than the SL. I think MB compied a few styling cues from the SC.
Old 11-21-06, 04:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
IIRC, the SL was first
No, the latest SL launched as 2003 year model, while the SC was I think 2002 or 2001.
Old 11-21-06, 05:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I was at MB today tooling around sitting in all the cars and seeing what all they had done to the interiors.

The top of the line Mercedes cars are as good as they ever have been. Very pleased with them. The bottom line is just getting cheaper and cheaper.

The heated vents in the S class headrests were pimp, especially in the 'verts. We took a ride at 40 degrees with the top off in a red SLK and the warm blower on your head made it feel like 70 degrees outside.

I prefer the Mercedes exteriors, but I still love the Lexus interiors best. They seem just a tad more solid.

If I could design a car, it would drive like a BMW, look like a Mercedes, and be as comfortable inside as a Lexus.
Old 11-21-06, 05:27 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I like the SL too; I've always liked it in fact - the last generation was my favorite I think. One thing that is sort of "hmm" about the current gen is the price. I get that Benz's are expensive, and I get that it's a lot of car but I don't know how likely I would be to take an SL550 over say, an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
Old 11-21-06, 05:51 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
I get that Benz's are expensive, and I get that it's a lot of car but I don't know how likely I would be to take an SL550 over say, an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
My thoughts exactly! I cant justify the money on an SL500/550 which seem to be dime-a-dozen. I guess it depends on how you define "classic" but to me a classic should at least be a little more rare. I can, on a normal day of driving, see AT LEAST 2 or 3 a day, easily. Ive been in one, rode in a couple, and the car is beautiful and a definite head turner but for me, this car is far too common. I too would pay a little more for something along the lines of an AM or even Bently Continential GT. Hell, I might even take a CL500 over an SL.

OLT was close about the, drive like a bimmer, look like a benz and ride like a Lexus. It should something more like: drive like a Bimmer, look like a Benz, and be reliable like a Lexus.
Old 11-21-06, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If I could design a car, it would drive like a BMW, look like a Mercedes, and be as comfortable inside as a Lexus.
lol - quote of the day.
Old 11-21-06, 08:41 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

SL is probably my all time favorite coupe. IMO, it looks absolutly nothing like the SC. The design is indeed timeless, I don't see it appearing "dated" anytime soon.
Old 11-22-06, 08:46 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
I like the SC430 much better than the SL. I think MB compied a few styling cues from the SC.
I owned an '04 SC that I trade for an '05 SL55 and I really don't see much of a comparison any where except for the fact that they both had 4 wheels.
Old 11-29-06, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Heck, I like the previous gen SL. After really scoping them out in person and in pictures and sitting inside, the car speaks classic. Its been out since what, maybe 2002/2003 and it still looks new and fresh. It may not be as tank built as the previous SL but its still a very solid car, IMO.

The newly revised SL has the new Benz 5.5 V-8, heck the old SL 55 (AMG) was a 5.5 liter.

Just looking at it, this is just a beautiful car. Just beautiful and IMO has not aged A BIT.

I already am sick thinking the next SL will have giant wheel arches from a damn SUV
i don't know, the previous sl was nice, but the current style is just WOW for me. i love the styling so much, definitely one of the best car in terms of style by my book
Old 11-29-06, 12:55 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SL... You gotta buy black, then it's pure style...

Quick Reply: IMO, the current Mercedes SL=future classic