Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorTrend names Camry 2007 Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 12:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It beat the LS460?!?

The Camry is wholesome. The LS is ground-breaking. I guess it depends on how you look at it...
Old 11-22-06, 12:09 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprise here...the camry is a great looking car imo
Old 11-22-06, 12:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It beat the LS460?!?

The Camry is wholesome. The LS is ground-breaking. I guess it depends on how you look at it...

Seriously. The 2007 Lexus LS 460 as well as the 2007 Mercedes Benz S-Class are two of hte most ground breaking and significant cars of modern times. They pretty much redefine the potential of the automobile. The award should have went to one of these (preferably the LS )

The Camry is great but it's still just an evolution of the great car it's always been. Nothing significantly new or redefining.

The Car of the Year Award is mostly an award of significance and innovation into the car market. With this in mind, the LS and S-Class have no competition for this award this year. Obviously, Motor Trend doesn't see their own award that way.
Old 11-22-06, 02:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

They generally do not pick high end cars for this award.
Old 11-22-06, 02:48 PM
LexFather

I think the Camry is very well deserving. Great job Toyota.

Old 11-22-06, 02:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The Car of the Year Award is mostly an award of significance and innovation into the car market. With this in mind, the LS and S-Class have no competition for this award this year. Obviously, Motor Trend doesn't see their own award that way.
Well I think the COTY award measures relative impact on a vehicle's class and segment.

So while the Camry is not in any way impressive sitting next to the LS460 (except maybe in features for the price)... it is, according to motor trend, relatively speaking, the most significant new vehicle within a given class this year.
Old 11-22-06, 03:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
Well I think the COTY award measures relative impact on a vehicle's class and segment.

So while the Camry is not in any way impressive sitting next to the LS460 (except maybe in features for the price)... it is, according to motor trend, relatively speaking, the most significant new vehicle within a given class this year.
That's pretty much what I meant. The LS and S-Class are not only significant cars but also shake up their respective classes quite strongly.

In no way do I think the COTY Award should go to the the "best" new car.
That would usually mean that the most expensive one would win. I'm happy that the Camry won but judging by all criteria, the LS460 should hold the trophy.

The award has gone to high end cars before, but yes, it is rare to see.
Old 11-22-06, 03:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
That's pretty much what I meant. The LS and S-Class are not only significant cars but also shake up their respective classes quite strongly.

In no way do I think the COTY Award should go to the the "best" new car.
That would usually mean that the most expensive one would win. I'm happy that the Camry won but judging by all criteria, the LS460 should hold the trophy.

The award has gone to high end cars before, but yes, it is rare to see.

True... however, you might also consider that the Camry's relative impact within its class might be magnified by the fact that the class it is in is far more significant to the market as a whole than the low production flagship lux car class.

I mean ask Ford how significant their Taurus was to them and the car market as a whole when it came out in 1986.
Old 11-22-06, 03:13 PM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
Huh. I'd've picked the Cayman because it outperforms the Camry in every possible category but interior room and price. Evidently, Toyota's "contributions" to MT's holiday slush fund were more convincing than Porsche's.
People, this is how they judged the cars.

About the Testing and Evaluation Process
Each year since 1949, the editorial staff of Motor Trend has evaluated eligible vehicles for its "Car of the Year" based on three key categories: Significance, Superiority, and Value. Significance refers to innovation in engineering, technology, design, safety and packaging. Superiority levels the playing field and looks for class-leading levels of vehicle dynamics and performance, build quality and execution, and how well the vehicle performs its intended function. Finally, the all-important Value question asks, "What does this vehicle deliver in relation to what the consumer has to pay to purchase and own it?"

The complete report on the Motor Trend 2007 Car of the Year testing and selection will be published in the January 2007 issue of Motor Trend, available on newsstands December 5, 2006. Multimedia coverage of the testing and selection process will be broadcast on Motor Trend Radio, hosted by Bob Long.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ry/hybrid.html
Old 11-22-06, 03:17 PM
LexFather

Also remember, recently, Motor Trend merged Import Car of the Year and Car of the Year. Instead of 2 awards, it is now one.

Old 11-22-06, 03:19 PM
ic144
Driver

Honestly speaking, I think the Camry is a great pick for COTY.

Even though the LS and S Class are the best in this line-up, the price/feature ratio just doesn't cut it.

Luxury brands alway put a price premium on their cars not only because of the luxury features, but also the luxury "brand". Their profit margins are higher than mainstream cars.

If you were to slap a Toyota badge onto the LS460, it's not going to MSRP for $71,000.

If it MSRPed for $55,000, (yea, i know it's crazy) it's might win the award.
Old 11-22-06, 03:54 PM
BobsGX
Racer

And for next year, I'm sure they will pick the new redesigned Honda Accord.
They are so predictable.
Old 11-22-06, 03:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
And for next year, I'm sure they will pick the new redesigned Honda Accord.
They are so predictable.

It's not even a surprise anymore