Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: QX56 or Escalade
Cadillac Escalade
66.00%
Infiniti QX56
34.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

QX56 vs. ESCALADE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Yea but then you can get a Denali instead of a Escalade, save 15k and they look like twins with the same features and upscale interior.
True to an extent. I just finished reviewing, by request, a new long-wheelbase 2007 Denali just a couple of weeks ago. There is not a whole lot of difference inside, but the Escalade has noticeably more bling on the outside.
Old 11-23-06, 10:23 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yeah the Escalade is 7700 with AWD and 8000 with RWD but I said towing and off-roading durability. There's a good reason why you'll only find traditional body on frame design underpinning almost any truck that's actually intended for serious towing or off-roading use and it's that a unibody design just doesn't hold up to that kind of stress and punishment over time.

But yes you are still correct - the great majority of people who own a full size luxury SUV will probably be doing very little if any of this, so... they might as well drive giant cars all the same. They'll never know the difference anyway.
You do know the Titan / QX56/ARMADA have one of the strongest frames compared to the F150 new frame in any truck right? It is also one of the best off-road vehicels. What do you think the Xterra does so well off-road because of its frame. It came from the Titan.
Old 11-23-06, 10:24 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True to an extent. I just finished reviewing, by request, a new long-wheelbase 2007 Denali just a couple of weeks ago. There is not a whole lot of difference inside, but the Escalade has noticeably more bling on the outside.

Bling yep it definitely does. I got to compare them both at the Car show this pasted weekend.
Old 11-23-06, 10:51 AM
okcfunky
Pole Position

And the Titan/Armada rears are utter trash, come on, a dana 44 in a truck, that's just reckless.
And the Dodge Power Wagon takes the cake on offroad for a stocker.
Frame strength is very a prickly subject to debate. You can have the stiffest frame known to man, it can and would probably be the worst idea (for ride quality and durability)
There's a reason frames are meant to flex, in fact, if they don't, something is terribly wrong and stress will cause a failure at a point you least expect it. Ever seen concrete mixers? You can measure their flex almost in feet.
Get the 'Slade, and you'll be noticed, its new tech, it's powerful.
Get the QX, you'll blend right in, hasn't been changed, its strong, but not 400 horses strong.

Who in the world would take either of these offroad? Heaven forbid you get the pine pinstriping paint option.
Old 11-23-06, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by okcfunky
Frame strength is very a prickly subject to debate. You can have the stiffest frame known to man, it can and would probably be the worst idea (for ride quality and durability)
There's a reason frames are meant to flex, in fact, if they don't, something is terribly wrong and stress will cause a failure at a point you least expect it.

No, it is not a prickly subject. It is very simple. Frames are made super-stiff today for a reason....and not just advertising. The stiffer the frame, the more freedom you have from integrity problems like squeaks, rattles, and leaks, and the more efficiently the suspension, tires, and steering can work, because their input is not being distorted by frame flexing. One of the reasons, among many, why today's vehicles handle so much better than years ago is precisely because of these new stiffer frames.
Old 11-23-06, 12:14 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

before i bought my gx470 i was looking at the qx but with the 4x4 and loaded options, it was way out of pricing range. So i picked the gx over it because of the price and still the gx is very nice. I havaen't regret it. But the escalade, everybody has one? come on now....plastic everywhere. I don't know about the 07 models and 08 because they are suppose to have like 400 hp but like the 04 and 05 models are a piece of crap. People only buy them because they see big stars riding in them with the big rims and stuff and yes i have to admit, they do look nice to a certain extent but i'd rather have reliability.
Old 11-23-06, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexGX
But the escalade, everybody has one? come on now....plastic everywhere. I don't know about the 07 models and 08 because they are suppose to have like 400 hp but like the 04 and 05 models are a piece of crap. People only buy them because they see big stars riding in them with the big rims and stuff and yes i have to admit, they do look nice to a certain extent but i'd rather have reliability.
Well, I know about the 07 models. Forget the cheap, plastic interiors of the previous GM full-size SUV's. And forget your dislike of the previous models. Go to a coupe of dealerships and look at the new ones. I assure you....you will not be wasting your time. While not perfect, the differences in the 07's are significant.....the dash and steering wheel trim more so than anything else.
Old 11-23-06, 12:56 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by okcfunky
And the Titan/Armada rears are utter trash, come on, a dana 44 in a truck, that's just reckless.
And the Dodge Power Wagon takes the cake on offroad for a stocker.
There's a reason frames are meant to flex, in fact, if they don't, something is terribly wrong and stress will cause a failure at a point you least expect it. Ever seen concrete mixers? You can measure their flex almost in feet.
Get the 'Slade, and you'll be noticed, its new tech, it's powerful.
Get the QX, you'll blend right in, hasn't been changed, its strong, but not 400 horses strong.

Who in the world would take either of these offroad? Heaven forbid you get the pine pinstriping paint option.

Really? Seems they aren't having really any issues with them. They did the first 6 months till they put a alum cover on it, now no more issues. Dana 44 is a great axle. Are you just upset because its a better truck than most of them out there? Dodge PowerWagon is a complete different truck. Compare it to a regular Hemi Dodge Ram, F150, Chevy Silverado, and so on and it takes the cake. I had a Titan, and that frame was stought.
Old 11-23-06, 04:08 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

First off, I apologize for my offhandedness in my prior post.

Haha, I'm not disagreeing that the Titan is a better truck than most out there(it is a better one than bout 75%). But it's just not top in best offroading pickup(for 1/2 ton trucks, it is formidable, but I find the driver mod is the biggest determination), hence why I said "Power Wagon," because for a stock truck offroading, that Dodge hardware is very hard to beat. I've driven a few Titans(pretty sweet interior and driving dynamic, lifted or stock), but I'm from the school of bigger ring gear the better for trucks, regardless of material. (Yes, the D44 is very sweet check the Viper for example), it's a personal opinion for that. and the Titan underpinning is a worthy consideration.

I recently went over a few frame topics with some suspension and chassis gurus (trying to get a daily driver ranch diesel to haul 16K lbs and to take a range of terrain upto 50mph, and live for 3 years, is a challenge), and I saw why it's a constant issue when you have the requirements of towing, load capacity, and normal use. For towing, you want the frame to be elastic enough to handle heavy loads, but for onroad manners, you'll want super stiff so components can perform properly(as mmarshall stated).
It's like the debate of C-Channel vs. Boxed frame. It's a reason some folk like Ford Superduties vs. Silverado HD's, and vice versa, different strokes for different folks.

Only way to see QX vs. 'Slade is to test drive 'em back to back, and then its down to which you like better.

Last edited by okcfunky; 11-23-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-23-06, 05:59 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

A lot of choices and that is great for the consumer. I would guess since you picked two truck frame based SUV's and you did not mention that you were looking at running 22" bling wheels with the low profile tires I would assume you are looking for a "truck" based SUV for the durablity and versatility that it provides. If that is the case you should look at a used Lexus LX470 from a dealer that is a CPO vehicle. You will get a superior vehicle that will last longer and have less problems and is also built to take anything you dish-out. If you are really just looking for a on road vehicle that sits up high and can carry what a station wagon can carry then the choices increase. I would suggest you make a long list of what you want from this SUV and then weight the features. Now it would be time to start to evaluate all of the possiblities. Why don't you give us some idea about what is important to you? Looking like a Rap star, reliablity, your idea of good looks, off road ability, towing, gas mileage, the list goes on and on.
Old 11-23-06, 10:28 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkim1120
wow
great feedback and input
but when do you think the qx is due for a body up grade or a facelift?
thanks

The Armada/QX56 are due for an upgrade/facelift in the 2008 model year.
Old 11-24-06, 08:43 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Hands down LX 470,the rest is just crap, go test drive one and you will see the difference,I know people the owned a few of them and would never buy anything else, QX is just a big box no insulation and very cheap interior,the engine noise is excessive,an overpriced Armada
Escalde is OK,lol, maybe because I own one, I like the domestic truck reliability and the fact that you can rape and abuse the ****** out of it and it never gives you any problems,the new Escalade looks like ***,the side view looks identical to 98-02 Expedition and without the cladding it just looks plain, maybe it rides better than it looks, but I'd take new top of the line Suburban or Tahoe over the Escalade
Old 11-24-06, 10:52 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Really? Seems they aren't having really any issues with them. They did the first 6 months till they put a alum cover on it, now no more issues. Dana 44 is a great axle. Are you just upset because its a better truck than most of them out there? Dodge PowerWagon is a complete different truck. Compare it to a regular Hemi Dodge Ram, F150, Chevy Silverado, and so on and it takes the cake. I had a Titan, and that frame was stought.

I looked at the Titan a few years ago, and its reliability was horrific, and still is as evidenced by the new Consumer Reports results. And plenty of people are still having rear diffs fail, even the 06 models.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...tial-unit.html

Last edited by Kamikaze2b; 11-24-06 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-06, 12:39 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by exvelocity
Hands down LX 470,the rest is just crap, go test drive one and you will see the difference,I know people the owned a few of them and would never buy anything else, QX is just a big box no insulation and very cheap interior,the engine noise is excessive,an overpriced Armada
Escalde is OK,lol, maybe because I own one, I like the domestic truck reliability and the fact that you can rape and abuse the ****** out of it and it never gives you any problems,the new Escalade looks like ***,the side view looks identical to 98-02 Expedition and without the cladding it just looks plain, maybe it rides better than it looks, but I'd take new top of the line Suburban or Tahoe over the Escalade

In actuality, the LX470 is just an overpriced landcruiser..though it does have some better technology in it. Great SUV but pricey for something that looks exactly like a landcruiser.
Old 11-25-06, 05:54 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
In actuality, the LX470 is just an overpriced landcruiser..though it does have some better technology in it. Great SUV but pricey for something that looks exactly like a landcruiser.
As a used car it is a better deal, since they sell so many more LX's versus LC's you can get the LX for around the same kind of money. So with the LX you get the hydro suspension, ML stereo, and softer leather. If you want that stuff its a good deal. I like the name Landcruiser on my SUV so if I could save a couple of $$ and get a LC versus the LX I would.

Quick Reply: QX56 vs. ESCALADE