Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: QX56 or Escalade
Cadillac Escalade
66.00%
Infiniti QX56
34.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

QX56 vs. ESCALADE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 10:14 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QX56 vs. ESCALADE

i need to choose
could someone give me some input on these two suvs?
im leaning more towards the qx56 b/c it seems more lux.
does anyone own either of these suvs
or have considerable expeirence on driving both these suvs?
any input would be appricaiated.
thanks
Old 11-21-06, 10:53 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

IF you mean the 07 models, the Escalade is far more luxurious than the QX56. They are both big lots of room and both have lots of power.

The interior of the QX56 is just a slightly touched up Armada version unlike the 07 Escalade where the interior has actually been improved to the luxury feel.

The second row of the QX56 though imo feels really roomy however yes it doesn't feel special compared to the new Escalade.

The third row of either one is small imo however I do give the nod to the QX56 as being OK.

If anything overall though I'd take any Escalade over the QX56...if I were to get a QX56 I rather get myself an Armada to save money just isn't worth it.

Also do you really need such a large SUV? Because if not i'd recommend also taking a look at the GL450 or LX470.
Old 11-21-06, 11:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Personally out of those two I like the Escalade more. Looks nicer inside and out, but its to much of a "me too" SUV IMO. The QX56 has been rated one of the least reliable SUV's for some time now though. Plus its wierd styling is a turn off to me.

What Car and Driver thought. They liked the QX56 more, but thought the MB GL450 and the Audi Q7 were better than both.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...alade-awd.html

Last edited by GFerg; 11-22-06 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-22-06, 12:06 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Personally out of those two I like the Escalade more. Looks nicer inside and out, but its to much of a "me too" SUV IMO. The QX56 has been rated one of the least reliable SUV's for some time now though. Plus its wierd styling is a turn off to me.

What Car and Driver thought. They liked the QX56 more, but thought the MB GL450 and the Audi Q7 were better than both.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...alade-awd.html
GL450 and Q7 are a bit different arent they? I mean they are still SUVs but not near as large as either the QX or Escalade. I will say though, I like the Escalade over the QX, Ive been in a QX but not an '07 Escalade so I cant speak for the interiors but from the outside the Escalade wins handsdown.
Old 11-22-06, 12:10 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

all I want to say is that the QX56 is a gazillion times more pimp than the Escalade. It is the only SUV out there that gives me chills everytime I see it (intimidation)

That thing puts the Escalade and H2 to shame.
Old 11-22-06, 12:20 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the 'Slade. The QX looks pretty much identical to the Armada. Not a fan of either. The new Escalade is the king of bling SUVs. I love the new redesign.
Old 11-22-06, 03:53 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very short and sweet the escalade is a piece of crap very poorly made everything is plastic
Old 11-22-06, 10:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Prior to getting our GX, we test drove the QX56. I liked it from the test drive. Price (fully loaded-nav, camera, power liftgate...) was about the same as the GX.

POwer was good, brakes were good (kinda grabby), and what I liked when the salesman pointed out was no forward dipping??? when you slam on the brakes

For that price (somewhere in the high $40k and low $50s for a full size suv) it wasn't too bad.....imo much better than the rebadged yukon/tahoe (previous gen).
Interior is horrible feeling for a "Cadillac". They should've distinguish themselves more from the regular gm products.
Old 11-22-06, 10:51 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a '07 Escalade a couple months ago and I absolutely love it. It's a diamond white exterior with ebony interior. Don't underestimate the Escalade's interior, it is quite nice....especially with the ebony interior. Funny thing is that the Escalade has absolutely no interior rattles, while my GS has quite a few. We'll see if this stays the case over the coming months. And the navigation system on the Escalade is great...I actually prefer it over the nav in my GS430. Huge 8 inch screen, 3d viewing, higher resolution...but an annoying British female voice.

The '07 Escalade wasn't on my top 3 list initially. Sure, the GX or LX would have been the safer/reliable choice. But they were both too vanilla for me, although I'm sure the new LX will be nice. Also considered the QX56, but couldn't get over the funky styling.

But after I visited the Caddy dealership, it was literally love at first sight. The Escalade truly has a love it or hate it design, but I for one love it. The HID headlights and the rear led lights are awesome. The remote start and auto rear liftgate are also nice touches. And the engine? 400+ HP never felt or sounded so good. The six speed tranny is also very smooth.

Now for negatives. Yes, the fuel mileage is not great. But I wasn't expecting anything great. And yes, the fake wood and the manual tilt of the steering wheel are cheap moves on Caddy's part. 3rd row seat? Bah, not a concern for me. I took it out immediately. If I wanted to haul 7 people all the time, I'd get the ESV or a mini-van. Also, the Caddy sales experience leaves much to be desired.

I'll post pics this weekend. But let me tell you, this is one fun SUV to drive.
Old 11-22-06, 12:07 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres just something about an escalade that would keep me from buying it. It just seems so played out and unappealing to me. I would go for the QX56. I honestly dont know why its considered "the least reliable". I mean i probably know 5 or so people that have it and had not one single problem with it. My cousin went from a GX470 to the QX56 and he absolutely loves the QX. I guess either vehicle is fine...test drive both and see what you like
Old 11-22-06, 12:11 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

my uncle has a QX and when he first got it i was like nice, exterior is different but stylish but the interior is very very bad IMO...for $50k in a suv i'd expect a lot more
Old 11-22-06, 01:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

We don't have the QX56, just the Armada here, though I have seen it in the U.S. Comparing the driving of the Armadad and the Escalade, I do like the Escalade better. Cadillacs are a little underrespected in their capabilities, but I think they have done an excellent job.
Old 11-22-06, 01:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I personally do not care for the looks of either. The QX just looks stupid/ugly. The Escalade is nice looking but a little more ghetto-blingy in stock form than I'd like, even with only the 18" standard wheels instead of the 22" optional wheels.

With that said from a technical perspective the Escalade destroys the QX in almost every measure out there. Better predicted reliability, MUCH stronger frame, more controlled and isolated ride, much better transmission, more powerful motor, higher towing capacity (I think, not sure on this), much better quality interior (guarentee you'll have fewer rattles with the new Escalade than with the cheap interior on the QX), quieter, Escalade has full time AWD instead of just 4WD and the badass semi-active magneride suspension system designed by Delphi and even licensed by the likes of Ferrari as it gives a great blend between sporty handling (for an SUV of that size) and ride comfort depending on road conditions and driver inputs.
Fuel mileage on the Escalade is acceptable for its size.. on the QX it's pretty bad IIRC, though of course neither is anything close to fuel econ-friendly.

The only place where the Infiniti might or might not be better is resale value and maybe the stereo - I can't comment on that as I have not heard the QX's stereo.

To be honest from a purely technical impressiveness standpoint, leaving out looks and other subjectives... the Escalade is bar-none the most impressive SUV in its class... especially for the money.
Now to qualify the statement I just made I will say I'm not educated enough on the Mercedes GL to speak on that but I do know the predicted reliability for the Escalade is well above average (GM makes reliable trucks even if they haven't always felt too high quality, they run forever) and the predicted reliability of the GL is way below average. And in addition the Escalade is a REAL truck with body on frame underpinnings - you can tow heavy loads with it and off road and not worry about damaging the structure of the vehicle.

I'm sure when the all new Lexus LX comes out it will be superior in most ways to the Escalade. However the current one is getting pretty long in the tooth, and while not a bad choice, I strongly believe it costs far too much for what you get.
Old 11-22-06, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
very short and sweet the escalade is a piece of crap very poorly made everything is plastic
Maybe you haven't seen a new one? Interior is WORLDS better than the previous one.
Old 11-22-06, 02:18 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe you haven't seen a new one? Interior is WORLDS better than the previous one.
Even the somewhat similar Tahoe's interior is amazing in terms of design, materials, and build quality compared to the last-generation which was a joke, especially in something as expensive as the Escalade.

I've gotten a decent amount of time riding around in my father in law's 07 Tahoe - it's fully loaded except nav... I am very good at hearing rattles and other not-so-quality-inspiring noises, no matter how quiet. My count: zero. Ask me about the Lexus RX and ES loaners I've had - noises ranging from 'just a couple' to 'countless', all with very low mileage. Our 4runner has a couple of creeks and rattles too. Not too bad unless you turn into an inclined driveway of some sort... then the cargo cover creeks loudly, and of course the dealer said they couldn't duplicate any of the noises so we're stuck with them unless we want to waste more time up there.

First thing my wife said when she saw it the first time was "This looks like a lexus!" haha I kind of agree.

Only thing I don't like on his Tahoe is the leather is not soft in the least - very thick and tough... that's probably on purpose for a truck like this. The Escalade's leather was nicer but still not on par with Lexus vehicles in terms of look or feel. Oh and the road noise is higher than I expected it to be - improved from the last gen tahoe but not as much as I had hoped... part of that might be because he had the optional 20" wheels which I'm sure transmitted more noise than the 16s/17s on the last gen Tahoe.

Quick Reply: QX56 vs. ESCALADE