Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should I trade my 430 for an NSX????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 07:56 PM
N10S1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can swing it, wait for the 02/03 NSX, suppose to have revised front and rear ends. For the $70-85K you should keep your GS, and wait for a RX-8 or New Z, more bang for the buck. Plus, that NSX as been around since 1990, pretty old design. I don't know how you feel about a 911 Carerra 2, but isn't a new 02 911 about the same price, plus a more recent design?

I don't know, it's such a personal decision. Good luck with what ever you buy.
Old 10-22-03, 10:49 PM
v300
Lead Lap

NSX is a timeless car. You won't be disappointed. Highly tunable with a plethora of aftermarket upgrades. My friends specialize in the car if you are interested. They were the talk at the NSXpo.
Old 10-23-03, 12:25 AM
Drukinfoolio
Pole Position

I been in the market for an NSX as well. NOT giving up my GS4 to get one but, getting one as a secondary car. At the same time for the price of an NSX I could get a Ferrari 355 (the first couple of years that it was out 95-97). Price of them are around 75K and up. Still not knowing which I will go with.
Old 10-23-03, 06:45 AM
martialart
Driver

heck no, stay with the lexus unless your are tired of it, but the 430 is a car i would keep untill it dies,,,,,
Old 10-23-03, 06:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Wow, yet another two year old thread returned from the dead!

Moving this thread to car chat since it's really a discussion about the NSX. There are similar (and more recent) threads in the SC430 and SC300/400 forums if anyone is interested. There are lots of Supra vs NSX threads also on the forum, let's not turn this into one of them.

My two cents (as one of several members on CL who have both an NSX and GS (or other Lexus) sitting in their garage).... The NSX is a great car with incredible balance and nimbleness. Very high quality auto made from fairly exotic materials, but lacking in lots of the little luxury features we get in our cars (HIDs, dimming mirrors, dual zone, etc). Stereo sucks. BUT all that is not the point of the car, it's for spirited driving and that it does well.

If you're going to buy one, get a 97 or up for the increase in HP. Ours is a 96 NSX-T and my modified GS400 is a 'little' faster off the line. My girlfriend (the NSX is her car) actually prefers the handling capabilities of our buddies 2002 Porsche C4S to the NSX - stock for stock.... of course that one is AWD and also purpose built for handling.

We hardly ever take the NSX anywhere, it's too small to carry much and a fairly cramped ride for me. It's a nice weekend toy.
Old 10-23-03, 03:57 PM
BLKSC400
Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
The NSX is a great car with incredible balance and nimbleness. Very high quality auto made from fairly exotic materials, but lacking in lots of the little luxury features we get in our cars (HIDs, dimming mirrors, dual zone, etc). Stereo sucks. BUT all that is not the point of the car, it's for spirited driving and that it does well.
Great point. I sold my SC400 and got the NSX, its build quality is truly second to none and unless you get the 2003 model you will missing the HID, and no dual zone temp or dimming mirror that's for sure.

Try the SOS HID kit it is great.

Old 10-23-03, 04:19 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
actually prefers the handling capabilities of our buddies 2002 Porsche C4S to the NSX - stock for stock.... of course that one is AWD and also purpose built for handling.
Are you meaning that the NSX wasn't purpose built for handling? If so, then why would they make it mid-engined? At the limits, MR cars have better driving ability than AWD cars, all things being equal.

Also, my previous car was a '93 MR2 (NA) and while I love my GS, there was a completely different feel with that car, the "cockpit" like cabin and controls, the nimbleness, the quick bursts of acceleration, I'm definitely getting another MR2 and soon

I can only think the NSX is better than the MR2, definitely much quicker than my NA, and easier to handle at the limits. I did a 180 degree spin on a wet road one time, so they can be tricky, but very rewarding in dry conditions

Last edited by ChrisFL; 10-23-03 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 04:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisFL
Are you meaning that the NSX wasn't purpose built for handling? If so, then why would they make it mid-engined? At the limits, MR cars have better driving ability than AWD cars, all things being equal.
Nope not at all, note the word "also" in there - the NSX is an amazing handling car. My only point is that my GF (who owns the NSX) felt that the Porsche C4S handled better than her NSX. Surprised her. That's when she started modifying the suspension (sways, springs/shocks, wheels). She hasn't done a back-to-back taste test since, though.

Here's hers.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-23-03 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 09:38 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Do you ask this question in terms of a direct replacement?

The NSX and GS are excellent cars in their own right. Comparatively it would be difficult to say, it depends on your needs and the other contents of your garage. The NSX lacks convention and value, but it makes up for it in engineering. We've all read that it has one of the best transmissions, particularly the clutch is very forgiving. The all aluminum lightweight design was a decade ahead of its time. The engine isn't anything to drool over, but it revs high and you can't break it. The weight distribution is as good as it gets. I hear the steering feels a bit stiff compared to its competitors and in terms of amenities, forget them.

The GS on the other hand is a a luxury sedan. It's auto-only. It has all the amenities a non Benz driver could want. For a car its weight, it pulls. It's civilized, but you can have fun when you need to. You can pick up relatives at the airport with it, it has a trunk. For me, the GS is the answer. It's cheaper, and more flexible for my lifestyle. The NSX would make a fine secondary car for weekend driving.

Regardless of what you do, the choice can't be made over which car is 'better'. You'll get the car that fits your bill, they're both excellent.
Old 10-23-03, 11:27 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

your gf mods cars?
Old 10-24-03, 05:18 AM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

97 have the 3.2 which is obdII....there are no aftermarket turbo kits that will fit or any that are planned. You are stuck with a sc which is no bad but around 400hp. Turbos are 500hp. I am thinking of one when my sc is done...with a factor x turbo and motec....500 hp+ on an nsx.
Old 10-24-03, 09:36 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Will a s/c or t/c throw off the weight distribution much? I think I read that about the comptech when I was flipping through a Honda Tuning mag.
Old 10-24-03, 09:41 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question price a comptech

it will make you sick, well unless your loaded or someone is buying it for you, looked around for my friend. his dad just purchased a 1993 nsx with 30k on it with 18" ssr's and body kit. got it for 27k i think,
Old 10-27-03, 10:12 PM
gs430ondubz
Driver

Default thanks for all the input

Wow, after a couple of years this thing comes back. Well, I appreciate all your input but I have stuck with my 430. Only reason being is that I really haven't been into cars as much over the years. (Work has consumed all of my time). Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully, when it is time to buy, I can seek all of your advices again.