Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The latest in Lexus Reliability Data

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06 | 06:57 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A rather rude comment. I don't represent myself as knowing more about auto reliability than Consumer Reports. In fact, I have a very high opinion of their ability to keep records on it.
And I do read and post on the Lexus model forums. ...admittedly, not as much as on CAR CHAT. I had an IS300 myself....for five years....Why do you think I joined CL?
And why do you think I stayed with CL even though I now have a Subaru instead? I have a high opinion of this forum, too...just like I do Consumer Reports. I didn't open up this whole thread subject just for myself.......Lexus reliability does not affect me personally one bit. I posted this for you guys...because some of you were waiting for some info on the potential reliability of the new 2007 models. If you want to discuss it, fine. If not, you can ignore it.
But.....one of the reasons I did not buy a new ES or IS to replace my old one was that I was not as impressed with the new ones as with the older ones. And, like I said, I found CR's extremely high reliability rating of the new ES a little puzzling, given the problems I noticed on the one I reviewed. And, you apparantly agree.....you mention problems that CL members are having with theirs.
mmarsh,

Rude-not meant to be, straightforward yes, but yes I see it looks rude.

Rather than hop over to the ES350 Forum, please come check it out when you have time

You'll see your rattle prediction or feeling panned out, some have missing body welds as the cause, and you'll see the depth of member complaints on polls of trans, wind noise, diesel engine like sounds, other.
Old 11-24-06 | 07:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I've had the ES350 as a loaner for only a day, but I can't say I noticed any rattles , diesel like engine noise or excessive wind noise etc. . . . .
Old 11-24-06 | 07:50 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I've had the ES350 as a loaner for only a day, but I can't say I noticed any rattles , diesel like engine noise or excessive wind noise etc. . . . .
That is interesting, many have those issues, some all three, in fact one of the members whose car was missing welds is Canadian and another two, also Canadian, 1 has all three issues with his car plus trans issues and has had engine and wind noise in each of several loaners provided him and a third is totally fed up with wind noise.

Get the VIN of that loaner you drove, it's a keeper for sure.

I'm on my second and would gladly take one with no diesel engine noise at any volume and no wind noise. Rattles don't bother me as they do others, unless they are weld related.
Old 11-24-06 | 07:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Those Canadian or US ES350 owners that have not noticed any of these issues probably didn't post in the forums to complain about them
Old 11-24-06 | 08:03 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Those Canadian or US ES350 owners that have not noticed any of these issues probably didn't post in the forums to complain about them
We have many that either do not have wind noise or do not have diesel engine knocking tapping noise and some who have neither and some who have both and then other issues posting about it, over 107 in one poll many indicating one or more and some indicating none.

Did you get the loaner at or above 45 mph for any period of time as that is when you really start to notice it if you are going to? If you were mostly in city like traffic, stop and go you may have missed it.
Old 11-24-06 | 08:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
We have many that either do not have wind noise or do not have diesel engine knocking tapping noise and some who have neither and some who have both and then other issues posting about it, over 107 in one poll many indicating one or more and some indicating none.

Did you get the loaner at or above 45 mph for any period of time as that is when you really start to notice it if you are going to? If you were mostly in city like traffic, stop and go you may have missed it.
Well I did drove it on the highway, so I have gone above 45mph for sure, but as I said, it's only for one day (which in fact should be not more than 1 1/2 hours of actual driving), all I can say is I did not noticed any noises that's not expected for a car like the ES350, not enough to stick out & be very noticeable anyway, and I have had the ES300/330's a few times before as loaners when I took my SC in for maintainence.
Old 11-25-06 | 08:31 PM
LexFather

All cars have problems, even Lexus. Lexus continues to have the LEAST amount of problems. PERIOD.

I am sorry if your Lexus is not "perfect" but don't bash the brand b/c one car is bad or even 2,000 when they sell over 300,000 a year
Old 11-25-06 | 11:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Bob, does this " diesel " noise go away as the engine warms up and the oil gets hot? If so, it is possible that your engine could have what is called " piston slap ". This is a problem not normally associated with Toyota or Lexus, but can occur if there were some problems with tolerances in the plant when the engine was built.
Piston slap occurs when there is a slight amount of clearance between the piston rings and cylinder walls......more than there should be...and in the joint where the connecting rod swivels back and forth around the piston while going up and down. If there is too much play in these areas, the pistons will not go up and down silently but will " slap " against the cylinder walls, and the connecting rods will rattle at the base of the pistons...this, until the parts expand with engine heat and the oil helps seal it up. It might be accompanied by some oil use.

Like 1SICK pointed out, this is not normally a Toyota-Lexus problem, but can occur even in Toyota-Lexus engine plants. All auto brands occasionally have a run with factory defects.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-06 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-25-06 | 11:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All cars have problems, even Lexus. Lexus continues to have the LEAST amount of problems. PERIOD.
Yes and no, Mike. Lexus, Acura, Honda, Toyota, and Subaru have seesawed back and forth for years for this honor, at least according to Consumer Reports. Lexus, however, has held it for the most years....not necessarily in a row. Hyundai, in the last couple of years, has also come up to rank extremely high.....especially for the Sonata.

Infiniti was way up with Lexus for a number of years but then plummeted after its Renault ownership.
Old 11-26-06 | 12:18 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

It's funny how someone has gone through 3 different ES vehicles, all with major problems.

You'd think after one they'd stay away, and after the 2nd they'd ask for a refund rather than another car. It's almost like someone is a troll who is just trying to disrupt the board.

Anyways 1st year models always are problematic. In terms of reliability the 1st yr Avalon scored low on CR's survey.
Old 11-26-06 | 12:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Anyways 1st year models always are problematic. In terms of reliability the 1st yr Avalon scored low on CR's survey.
Yes and no. First-year reliability was never much of an issue on Toyota-designed cars in the past, as it was with many American-designed products......Toyota, Honda, and Subaru usually seemed to get it right the first time, though the Subaru 2.5 engine was problematic at first, with bad head gaskets.

But Toyota, lately, shows some signs of slipping...as with the 2007 Camry automatic transmissions.
Old 11-27-06 | 06:27 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
When you deny any repair and leave people stuck with a problem that is not the same thing as a lessor number of repairs in a tally of repairs in the classic sense.

Diesel engine knocking tapping and wind noise are two routinely denied repairs because there is a blatant denial there is a problem.

Several owners have been told their slipping transmissions are learning instead of slipping, repairs denied.

These non-repairs cannot ethically be used to help in a count of lessor repair incidents on these cars.
I've experienced the same treatment by the Lexus dealers in my area. I've had a handful of problems with our IS and ES that the dealer flat out refuses to resolve. And I'm not talking about dash rattles or wind noise. I'm talking about real mechanical problems like a shuddering clutch, a lumbar support that doesn't remain inflated/extended, and a set of defective tires that exhibit nasty radial pull. Repair denied. Repair denied. Repair denied.
Old 11-27-06 | 07:14 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

( CR, of course, is the best data in the buisness for auto reliability )

While I don't personally discredit CR's testing methods - a lot of people and controversies do.

Please explain how CR is 'the best data in the business for auto reliability' so that I can see if you know something I don't.
Old 11-27-06 | 07:27 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
It's funny how someone has gone through 3 different ES vehicles, all with major problems.

You'd think after one they'd stay away, and after the 2nd they'd ask for a refund rather than another car. It's almost like someone is a troll who is just trying to disrupt the board.

I may have overlooked it but who posted they have gone through 3 ES350 cars?

I do know several who have gone through 2 and called it quits with the ES and posted their displeasure about the second one having issues on the ES forum. I also know of a local, the same who asked for a buyback.
Old 11-27-06 | 07:33 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Bob, does this " diesel " noise go away as the engine warms up and the oil gets hot? If so, it is possible that your engine could have what is called " piston slap ". This is a problem not normally associated with Toyota or Lexus, but can occur if there were some problems with tolerances in the plant when the engine was built.
Piston slap occurs when there is a slight amount of clearance between the piston rings and cylinder walls......more than there should be...and in the joint where the connecting rod swivels back and forth around the piston while going up and down. If there is too much play in these areas, the pistons will not go up and down silently but will " slap " against the cylinder walls, and the connecting rods will rattle at the base of the pistons...this, until the parts expand with engine heat and the oil helps seal it up. It might be accompanied by some oil use.

Like 1SICK pointed out, this is not normally a Toyota-Lexus problem, but can occur even in Toyota-Lexus engine plants. All auto brands occasionally have a run with factory defects.
Yes mmmarsh, it goes away when the car reaches hot in my experiences and it can run the spectrum of sewing machine level to cannery works in volume, it can occur several times a day depending on how long the car sat between each start, then, over time it progresses to point you can also hear a clacking sound at hot in idle.

There are many members posting they have this and they are not trolls trying to ruin any board or trying to brand bash anything.

Seems reality is not meant for everyone, some get all flustered when experiencing it.

Quick Reply: The latest in Lexus Reliability Data