Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

World fastest car: 0 to 60 mph in 1 second!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 11:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Carrier catapults are weak sauce compared to inflight numbers. ~3.3 g's. Just enough to get the bird airborne without falling into the sea. They're doing 0-179 mph in 2.9 seconds over 309 feet. A little less than Top Fuel, but not a LOT less. Top Fuel still isn't anywhere close to 9 g's. If they're hitting 0 - 100 in 1.0 seconds, it's still only 4.58 g's.
Old 11-26-06, 01:06 AM
SDLS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not quite. 4 - 5 g's is typical of Top Fuel. Fighter pilots get tested to 9 g's. I've seen videos of it in aircrew training. Ever wonder why there are no tall fighter pilots? They can't take the g's. We saw a great demo video of a guy 6' tall trying as hard as he could to make the cut. He made it to 8.8 g's and G-LOC'd, even with the suit and grunting as hard as he could. This was followed by another guy, 5' 5" with the same gear. He went to 9.02 g's and never lost anything. Distance from heart to brain is a key parameter to success. So is static blood pressure. I'm 6'2" and my normal blood pressure is very low. I'd never even come close to making the cut.

It's also interesting to note the F-16's airframe is airworthy to 16 g's in any direction. Pilots are only good to 9 g's in two directions. Any wonders why a pilotless attack aircraft is a high priority?

I had a roommate back in college who made it to Navy fight school in Fl told me the same thing. He must have been about 5'4"-5'5" buck 130 maybe buck 140. He also said women pilots can handle more G's male pilots due to them being shorter aswell.

Sam
Old 11-26-06, 07:20 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
This car is by no means the world's fastest car. There's a guy down the street from me with a 600ci fox-body running a 400shot of spray that will run those times and is JUST as legit as that car.

Very very lame.
You're right. As long as we're talking about modified cars, people will start with street legal cars and modify them to great/ludicrous levels, LS* twin turbos with ~2000hp, etc...Australians seem particularly talented at that kind of endeavor.
Old 11-26-06, 07:39 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-27-06, 07:33 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bah.......it's just a dragster. Dime a dozen here by Englishtown Raceway.
Old 11-27-06, 08:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find hilarious is that that kind of car is a dime a dozen here in the US - if that guy brought his 'somewhat streetable drag car' to any given track here in the US... he'd get respect, but it's not like everybody would be gawking at his car because he'd only be one of many people there that day with a car just as fast if not far faster that 'can' be taken on the street (though 'can' and 'should' are two different things when you consider things like practicality (repairs, gas), driving comfort, and safety).

The reason that show made it seem like such an amazing car is because in the UK a car like that IS pretty rare. And of course those in the UK don't think anything is special unless it was created in the UK - and those top gear and similar shows also have the interesting habit of journalistic exaggerating to the extreme... something is either mind-blowingly amazingly good, or mind-blowingly amazingly bad.

Point being if that guy had lived in the US and had that exact same car and gone through the exact same channels to score an interview with the hosts of the exact same show, they would have almost certainly declined the chance, much less made an entire half an episode worshiping him and his car as the 'fastest street legal car in the world' or some crap.