Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

left Lexus for Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 07:58 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats.

We love our 2005 4Runner limited (check my sig for pics). For about the same price we could have gotten a new but pretty much optionless RX330... I MUCH prefer the 4Runner to the RX in a number of ways from the drivetrain (which is probably more of a wash now if not in the RX's favor now that the RX is on the GR-series motor and revised trans) to even the build quality - our 4runner still has less rattles than most of the low milage loaners I got at the lexus dealer.
On the downside it rides rougher and probably gets worse mileage.

Of course the GX would be even better but would have cost us probably 12k or so more.

So far the main complaint we have is we were spoiled by Lexus service... our Toyota dealer seems like a downright a-hole compared to the lexus dealer here in town.
Old 11-27-06, 11:33 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Great Choice! I rather have a 4-runner than a RX ANY Day! You made a wise choice my friend... When the new 4-runners came out - I got me an '03 Limited V8 2wd.. I totally loved it!! Especially the 330 ft/lbs of torque!! You definetly won't be disappointed..

Heres mine:

Here it sits with my GS:

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-27-06 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-27-06, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
I need my Leather!!!! cant wait till it comes in and gets installed! then i'll feel somewhat at home, need my wood trim to but i can live without that, but cannot live without my leather!
Run by a Lexus shop and see if the GX's wood trim parts for the center-dash and console won't fit your 4Runner. The two vehicles not only share the same platform but are almost indentical inside except for trim. if the GX wood trim DOES fit, the parts department can order it for you.....you can decide whether to try and put it on yourself or have the dealership do it for you.
Old 11-27-06, 11:53 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Run by a Lexus shop and see if the GX's wood trim parts for the center-dash and console won't fit your 4Runner. The two vehicles not only share the same platform but are almost indentical inside except for trim. if the GX wood trim DOES fit, the parts department can order it for you.....you can decide whether to try and put it on yourself or have the dealership do it for you.
The times I have sat in the GX and noticed where the wood trim is there is a substantial difference in the size and shape of the connecting parts. I'm almost positive there's no way to get the wood trim from a GX to go in a 4runner. Not to mention have you ever seen how much lexus charges for genuine wood trim parts at their counter? I know the center console overlay for my 99 GS400 was something like 800 bucks from Lexus!! I ended up finding it used on ebay for ~$140 but the condition was mis-represented and it was actually in worse shape than my original.

What he might be able to get to work is the seats - if he can find a totalled out GX in a junk yard with the original seats, they'll probably bolt right in place of the original seats. Well, with the exception of the 3rd row, anyway.
Old 11-27-06, 12:53 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
nope. they share the frame and drive train and that's pretty much it. Prado aka GX470 is taller, more luxurious and more refined.

I was deciding btw GX470 and my 4runner, and decided to pick 4runner because I got great deal for mine.

X5 4.8i is next on my list.
Old 11-27-06, 12:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
nope. they share the frame and drive train and that's pretty much it. Prado aka GX470 is taller, more luxurious and more refined.

I was deciding btw GX470 and my 4runner, and decided to pick 4runner because I got great deal for mine.

X5 4.8i is next on my list.
They share quite a bit more than just that - those are just the major components that are shared. I'd say there are far more parts shared between the two than not shared. The exterior body panels are completely different, so is most of the interior components, at least on the surface. Then all the standard differences like nicer leather, more sound deadening, nicer options list, etc, etc. Heck they're even built side by side in the same factory.
Old 11-27-06, 07:27 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bizzy928
What a great vehicle! How does your truck ride compared to the RX?

I would inquire about the effects of installing leather and your side torso airbags (I think your model has them).

If the leather is going to be sewn OVER your existing fabric covers, I would definitely be concerned. Hopefully they will start from scratch, and have a weaker stitching on the side where the bags are located...

Something to look into.
never really thought of that, i dont know how they are gonna install it, i would home they would take the fabric out because it would be some thick seats to sit in in my mind. i think the ride is so much better than the RX. Granted that i did have a 01 RX 300 with some very serious i think tires that greatly affected the ride quality, but the 4Runner i believe rides quieter than my RX and i love it, plus im a dude and i feel more at home in the 4Runner now that I think of it than in the RX. But im happy with my choice
Old 11-27-06, 07:32 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Great Choice! I rather have a 4-runner than a RX ANY Day! You made a wise choice my friend... When the new 4-runners came out - I got me an '03 Limited V8 2wd.. I totally loved it!! Especially the 330 ft/lbs of torque!! You definetly won't be disappointed..

Heres mine:

Here it sits with my GS:
bro that hot, so is that dude with the sport 4Runner but i only have
a V6 2WD. Im in college so i gotta be more wise on how i spend my money. I really wanted the Limited but they didnt have what I wanted but i feel like i didnt go wrong with the SR5.
Old 11-27-06, 07:41 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The SR5 V6 4-runner is a great value vehicle - still a great choice just not as torquey.. I had many people compliment my 4-runner for the suprisingly great ride quality and the ability to climb mountains.. I took mine up a 70 degree hill side with rocks and on the street took my friends '04 Is300 off the line.. well, it is a V8....

Anyways Congrats on your new Baby!
Old 11-27-06, 08:14 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
The SR5 V6 4-runner is a great value vehicle - still a great choice just not as torquey.. I had many people compliment my 4-runner for the suprisingly great ride quality and the ability to climb mountains.. I took mine up a 70 degree hill side with rocks and on the street took my friends '04 Is300 off the line.. well, it is a V8....

Anyways Congrats on your new Baby!
thanks bro, cant wait till i get her broken into, only has 136 miles on it
Old 11-28-06, 11:59 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My uncle has a 2006 black 4 Runner limited and he uses it for everything. What happened to your M you sold it?