Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Adios Carrera GT (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 05:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Why not to loan a CGT out

More pictures at link

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/28/t...you-dont-know/

By now, you may have already seen the story of the Carrera GT that was destroyed after crashing into a utility pole in Port Chester, NY (that's what the PCFD stands for on the firefighter's jacket in the photo after the jump). The photos you see here were posted on the Lotus enthusiast site EliseTalk by Mark Starr, proprietor of Hunting Ridge Motorsports and Lotus of Greenwich.

While it's very easy to look at the photographs and jump to conclusions, a quick read of Mark's entries at EliseTalk indicated that he was familiar with the true story of what really happened. I met briefly with Mark and he shared what he knew with me. In deference to the individuals involved, he didn't use use any of their names, but believe me, that makes no difference. You're going to be interested in hearing how it all ends.

Read on after the jump.

[Source: EliseTalk]

The accident apparently took place last Saturday during a party. Both the car's owner and the driver at the time of the accident were in attendance. The owner let the other driver, a prominent businessman, take the Carrera GT out for a spin. As you might imagine, it was a spirited drive, as the Carrera GT is an obscenely powerful piece of machinery.

That kind of power commands a great deal of respect, and accidents can and do happen even with seasoned, trained drivers behind the wheel. In this case, it appears that the car proved to be more than this person bargained for, and it hit the utility pole at what appears to have been a significant rate of speed, based on how far into the bodywork it's lodged.
The driver thankfully escaped with a broken foot. It could have been worse. It could have been tragic. This is an aspect that's easily lost on us as we try to think up snarky and witty things to say about the photos. Somebody could have been killed -- the driver, a pedestrian, another motorist. Miraculously, the only injury suffered was minor.

Oh yeah. And the car appears to be totaled, much to the chagrin of Porschephiles. But here's the part you aren't reading anywhere else: the man who wrecked the car made good. As we mentioned, he happened to be a very big businessman, and we now know that he's also a standup guy. He bought the car's owner another Carrera GT the next day. With lower mileage on the odometer to boot.

That, my friends, is how you own up to a mistake. And that's why this story is so much more interesting than the pictures alone, which may say a thousand words, but still come up a few short.

Thanks to Mark Starr for sharing the story with us. We're glad that everyone involved is OK.
Old 11-29-06, 05:30 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, theres a half million dollar mistake right off the bat.
Old 11-29-06, 05:56 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I have money to cover all my mistakes....
and there are mistakes money can't buy...
lucky they were fine...
Old 12-02-06, 02:51 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One bad driver into accidents! Just likes any Ferrari Enzo owners in the world! Half of them gone to R.I.P.!
Old 12-02-06, 07:29 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing they should sell the engine ... for sure someone wants a Carrera GT engine.

Would be interesting to see somehow have a Cayman S with the CGT engine. Be like the SLK with the SLR McLAREN engine.
Old 12-02-06, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RA40

More pictures at link

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/28/t...you-dont-know/

By now, you may have already seen the story of the Carrera GT that was destroyed after crashing into a utility pole in Port Chester, NY (that's what the PCFD stands for on the firefighter's jacket in the photo after the jump). The photos you see here were posted on the Lotus enthusiast site EliseTalk by Mark Starr, proprietor of Hunting Ridge Motorsports and Lotus of Greenwich.

While it's very easy to look at the photographs and jump to conclusions, a quick read of Mark's entries at EliseTalk indicated that he was familiar with the true story of what really happened. I met briefly with Mark and he shared what he knew with me. In deference to the individuals involved, he didn't use use any of their names, but believe me, that makes no difference. You're going to be interested in hearing how it all ends.

Read on after the jump.

[Source: EliseTalk]

The accident apparently took place last Saturday during a party. Both the car's owner and the driver at the time of the accident were in attendance. The owner let the other driver, a prominent businessman, take the Carrera GT out for a spin. As you might imagine, it was a spirited drive, as the Carrera GT is an obscenely powerful piece of machinery.

That kind of power commands a great deal of respect, and accidents can and do happen even with seasoned, trained drivers behind the wheel. In this case, it appears that the car proved to be more than this person bargained for, and it hit the utility pole at what appears to have been a significant rate of speed, based on how far into the bodywork it's lodged.
The driver thankfully escaped with a broken foot. It could have been worse. It could have been tragic. This is an aspect that's easily lost on us as we try to think up snarky and witty things to say about the photos. Somebody could have been killed -- the driver, a pedestrian, another motorist. Miraculously, the only injury suffered was minor.

Oh yeah. And the car appears to be totaled, much to the chagrin of Porschephiles. But here's the part you aren't reading anywhere else: the man who wrecked the car made good. As we mentioned, he happened to be a very big businessman, and we now know that he's also a standup guy. He bought the car's owner another Carrera GT the next day. With lower mileage on the odometer to boot.

That, my friends, is how you own up to a mistake. And that's why this story is so much more interesting than the pictures alone, which may say a thousand words, but still come up a few short.

Thanks to Mark Starr for sharing the story with us. We're glad that everyone involved is OK.
Glad to see people still have honor.

That is a strong lil car, b/c light pole accidents usually end up in very serious injuries.

Old 12-03-06, 06:28 AM
LexusLimit
Driver

I'm surprise that there's no damage to the wooden post.
Old 12-03-06, 06:54 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's the real story...an auto-body mechanic was driving the car back to it's customer when he wrecked it.

Here's a link to the article and a video.

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_335094155.html
Old 12-04-06, 03:02 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Not too bad a new trunk and a new windshield and the car will be back up and running. At least we now know Porsche is stronger than a Ferrari where it will split into half when it comes in contact with a pole.