Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did i just see a Lexus GS commercial catered towards gay couples?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 08:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Sorry but it did initially seem as though you went out of your way to rain on his percentage parade including hyperlinks right after his debate with JJ.

So I decided, in Olde English, to attempt to --smote that argument-- on the out chance it was an argument.
- No apology needed, I enjoy your posts! And yes I did pile it on a bit, sorry Fleainat.

Though did think anyone with a nearly bare breasted Sinead O'Conner icon cannot be that narrow minded.
LOL - 'tis I - namaste.
Old 12-02-06, 08:17 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbodean
let me say that lexus and team one never said that the ad would being pulled because people got the impression that the men were gay. they simply stated that the ad received significantly lower scores from people polled as compared to the other 2 dec to rem ads. why the scores were lower and specific feedback was not made available to the dealers, and thats typical protocol, i dont think they are trying to hide anything here.

I think they deserve major credit for running it as they did and you do for your more than diplomatic effort to try to offer your insight on it regardless of the reason for it being pulled.
Old 12-02-06, 08:25 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
- No apology needed, I enjoy your posts! And yes I did pile it on a bit, sorry Fleainat.

LOL - 'tis I - namaste.

Yeah, I knew that it was not Sinead, thought it might be Flea of the rock group not the above fleainat, but after submitting I was sweating whether you had a sense of humor enough to handle the Sinead comment.

I was ready with the following just in case you were offended, that should have bailed me out of any potential jam over it: Either she is as handsome as you with her short hair or you are as beautiful as she is even with her short hair.
Old 12-02-06, 08:25 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks bob, i am just trying to provide facts to everybody and let you form your own opinions.
Old 12-02-06, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Wow, I've seen that ad plenty of times and didn't think they were gay. I will say it took me a couple times to "get" the ending. I thought they came out of different driveways and tried to figure out who's car it is.

Old 12-02-06, 07:35 PM
acerfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjbodean
see if this link will work for you:

http://adplanner.lexus.com/lexus_new..._RX_LS_IS.html
hmm, I'd really hope if someone would post them to youtube or something because i really want to join in on this controversial topic
Old 12-15-06, 08:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found the ad here:

http://www.adforum.com/creative_arch...V&promo=A64Q01
Old 12-16-06, 10:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Based on this NY Times article, found here, the ad was ambiguous and pulled early, but not before sparking significant online buzz:

Around Thanksgiving, for example, the Lexus division of Toyota ran a series of holiday TV commercials, one featuring two men, a new car in the driveway with a huge red bow on its roof, and dialogue that seemed to indicate that the men lived together and that one had given the car to the other.

Some viewers were struck by what they saw as a TV spot directed at the gay market and complained to the automaker. Lexus executives responded that the ad was not aimed at the gay market, but the company, unnerved by the nature of the complaints and by research showing that the commercial was weak in terms of brand recall, dropped the ad.

Ertmann said Toyota, protective of its reputation and wary of controversy, was essentially reacting instinctively and taking action without evaluating all the information that became available. After it hired BuzzMetrics to gauge consumer attitudes on the matter, it discovered that most viewers, especially the young urban and suburban consumers who write and read blogs and could buy Lexus vehicles, were pleased with the Lexus ad.

"A decision had been made to pull that ad from the rotation, and that decision was made before we had a chance to gather the BuzzMetrics analysis and report it back to Lexus," Ertmann said. "I was disappointed that Lexus did not wait for this cutting-edge intelligence."
Ertmann is corporate manager for Consumer-Generated Media at Toyota Motor Sales USA.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/bizf.../17/2003340825
Old 12-17-06, 03:41 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma888
Based on this NY Times article, found here, the ad was ambiguous and pulled early, but not before sparking significant online buzz:

Ertmann is corporate manager for Consumer-Generated Media at Toyota Motor Sales USA.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/bizf.../17/2003340825
I knew and posted some group got it's knickers in a knot over that ad and complained and it was pulled for that reason.

The claim for pulling the ad of lack of brand recognition just did not make any sense since many were talking about THE Lexus ad.
Old 12-17-06, 07:06 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Im sorry...but i cant possibly see that anyone in their right minds would have a problem with thas commercial. I just saw it after finding hte link here...btw, thanx for the link

The two guys are clearly coming from two separate driveways...or...is there some other gay message that masculine old me dont get here?
Old 12-17-06, 09:40 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by @lpher
Im sorry...but i cant possibly see that anyone in their right minds would have a problem with thas commercial. I just saw it after finding hte link here...btw, thanx for the link

The two guys are clearly coming from two separate driveways...or...is there some other gay message that masculine old me dont get here?

Only other possible message: Just because you believe them to be from 2 seperate driveways don't assume they are not Gay male neighbors maybe?
Old 12-17-06, 12:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Oh well I think it's a nice ad, it's open to interpretation, I think Lexus in the future should reconsider airing it and other ads that are a bit different from the traditional Lexus ads. This one clearly sparked quite a bit of discussion and in Marketing 101 that's a good thing.
Old 12-17-06, 12:25 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma888
Oh well I think it's a nice ad, it's open to interpretation, I think Lexus in the future should reconsider airing it and other ads that are a bit different from the traditional Lexus ads. This one clearly sparked quite a bit of discussion and in Marketing 101 that's a good thing.
For brand recognition alone it was a very good ad.
Old 12-17-06, 12:45 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

There's nothing gay about this ad.

This is what I get out from the ad.

So there are two hetro couple live right next to each other. They came out to pick up newspaper in the morning. And they saw their Christmas present. They both assume that their wives got that GS for them.

That's it!
Old 12-17-06, 03:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I picked the spot off the DDR shortly after it aired and some controversy surfaced. After several reviews, I still don't see it directed to an exclusively "gay" demographic. Especially in context with other "December to Remember" spots this year, it seems that it is not really "lifestyle specific". Maybe my gaydar isn't as finely tuned as some, but it was fine with me, and I'm one of those conservative Christians that people seem to think are offended by everything.

Quick Reply: Did i just see a Lexus GS commercial catered towards gay couples?