Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it that hard to make a U-turn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 01:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Is it that hard to make a U-turn?

I went out for a 2 mile errand run...and in that short distance, I encountered two drivers who apparently have no clue how to make a U-turn.

#1, driver on a 4 lane highway with a double wide #2 lane initiates the trun half-way in the turn pocket and half in the #1 lane. Acura TL

#2, in the turn pocket but suddenly swings wide to make the turn almost causing me to side swipe her. Camry

Do these people not know that even a SUV can do a lock-lock turn in under 40' ?!?!?!?! Are they scared to crank the steering wheel that far over?!
Old 11-29-06, 10:30 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I guess it was for those 2 drivers....*shaking head*

I bring this up alot, how about a 10 minute right turn? Sheeesh!

There could be a lot less incompetent drivers if these drivers are re-tested at the dmv
Old 11-30-06, 12:18 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOu are not tested on U-turns for the DMV driving test (at least in CA)
Old 11-30-06, 01:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey, it's california man.... it's a fact that when you are driving, you are almost always focusing on protecting yourself..
Old 11-30-06, 06:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

In most vehicles, I can do a U-turn with ease, but the RX300 presents a very difficult challenge only rectified in the RX330+.
Old 11-30-06, 07:44 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

u-turns are SOOO hard people of NJ are soo incompitent they cant do one. we have "jug handles". when i first moved here i was like WTF is this.
Old 11-30-06, 08:22 AM
Tramix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
u-turns are SOOO hard people of NJ are soo incompitent they cant do one. we have "jug handles". when i first moved here i was like WTF is this.
Dun be hating on our U-turns just cause they take up more unneccessary space and waste your time at a light that seems to never change. And ahem...I'll pull a U-turn anywhere given you don't complain about it being ILLEGAL. lol
Old 11-30-06, 09:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
YOu are not tested on U-turns for the DMV driving test (at least in CA)
Thank goodness for them huh? But imagine if you can't do a u-turn, they'll probably fail at the parallel parking then
Old 11-30-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thank goodness for them huh? But imagine if you can't do a u-turn, they'll probably fail at the parallel parking then
some area in cali you don't even have to do parallel parking during driving test

and even worse, in some area, you don't have to go on highway (10 yrs back when i got my license i had to). later on i found out why -- someone got on freeway during test and got into bad accident, where the examiner was critcally injured. so due to "safety", they pulled the freeway testing portion. WTF? i don't see how it makes sense at all

i think in due time, driving test is only to make sure you know how to start a car... no wonder why i have to be so careful of all the idiots on the road...
Old 11-30-06, 09:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Do these people not know that even a SUV can do a lock-lock turn in under 40' ?!?!?!?! Are they scared to crank the steering wheel that far over?!
Ironically enough even many full sized trucks and SUVs have better turning radiuses than many smallish economy cars simply because the trucks/SUVs are RWD and the econo cars are FWD.

Of course not enough difference to make them swing way out on a U-turn, but you saying "even an SUV" made me think I should point out that most SUVs are not as hindered on turn-radius as most people tend to assume they are, at least relative to their size in relation to a FWD vehicle...
Old 11-30-06, 03:01 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and even worse, in some area, you don't have to go on highway (10 yrs back when i got my license i had to). later on i found out why -- someone got on freeway during test and got into bad accident, where the examiner was critcally injured. so due to "safety", they pulled the freeway testing portion. WTF? i don't see how it makes sense at all

i think in due time, driving test is only to make sure you know how to start a car... no wonder why i have to be so careful of all the idiots on the road...
I didn't go on the highway for my driving test.
Man...It would be so cool to have the Ls 460 back up the 20 ft required to pass the test. + There is a E brake, so if you screw up during the test, they can't do anything about it.
Old 12-01-06, 12:18 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
some area in cali you don't even have to do parallel parking during driving test

In San Francisco, good luck finding a space to even test parallel parking. Highway driving wasn't required when I took my test 15 years ago.

When I was standing in line for my learner's permit, I remember seeing a DMV employee helping out a guy by explaining what various road signs mean (stop sign, etc.) and he just couldn't get it. I just thought to myself, "If he gets a license, we're boned."
Old 12-02-06, 12:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
In San Francisco, good luck finding a space to even test parallel parking. Highway driving wasn't required when I took my test 15 years ago.

When I was standing in line for my learner's permit, I remember seeing a DMV employee helping out a guy by explaining what various road signs mean (stop sign, etc.) and he just couldn't get it. I just thought to myself, "If he gets a license, we're boned."
in some other countries (hong kong for example), you actually test some basic stuff within the facility first like parking or so, before you get on the road. that's common sense imho. the way it's done here? god help us