Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2003 Infiniti G35 w/ 155k miles... would you buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 11:04 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here are some signs to watch for: Are there any new wheels or tires on the car? This is sometimes done by unscrupulous sellers to try and hide tire problems. Does the paint color on all the body panels....( and particularly the trunk in this case ).....match properly?..... ( though it is normal for the paint on the hood to fade first......from engine heat and sunlight). Are there pinstripes? Do they match all the way front to rear and side to side? That is another sign of body and paint work.
Does the paint texture match on all the body panels....for instance, do you notice more orange peel or waviness on one panel than the one next to it?
Tires: they're definitely not new and I didn't notice any uneven wear on the two that I inspected (i checked the right side tires last night... couldn't see the left side tires... will check today)

Paint: the rear bumper looks to be a diff shade in person. I suspect it was hit in the back and repainted with a new trunk lid. the trunk lid is crooked but I think I found a way to straighten it out. About the orange peel - I'll have to check today. It was too dark last night and all I had was a flashlight.

Great info. Thanks MMarshall.
Old 12-01-06, 11:28 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
LexusK8 - does your 03 G35 have vin numbers on the doors and fenders?
I just went out and checked. The only places I found with VIN #'s are under the hood (it's stamped near the engine block), the driver side windshield and the driver side body panel in between the front and rear (can be seen when you open the driver door and look down). That's it; I'm surprised to see no VIN stickers labeled on the fenders or other doors, but then again like you said in your post, perhaps only the '03 G35 sedans have no VIN stickers in their normal locations.
Old 12-01-06, 01:34 PM
LexFather

I would not buy that car.

Old 12-01-06, 02:22 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand, whats so great about this car again? So its under KBB value, so what, I think many (most) cars can be had for under KBB value.

Its got 155K miles, guess what the owner wanted to get rid of it, I wonder why?

KBB or any sale guide takes off for high miles thats b/c its better to buy a lower mileage car. Don't know if you want to re-sell it but a lower mileage car would be easier to sell and would be worth more, so you pay more up front.

It's been in a wreck. I don't buy cars like that. My neighbor is an auto body guy. He always buys wrecks fixes them up and sells them. No thanks, I'd much rather have a whole (un-wrecked) car and pay a bit more. I'm not saying you can always be sure any used car could have been in an accident you don't know. But with this car you do know, the trunk does not line up. Hello.

There is a saying Don't Be Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish. That means you are thinking its a great deal so you may save $2K b/c it's not a 'no question' car. Well think about the minute the return time is over, then you will be stuck with a super-high mileage car with no warranty.

Several people on this board are older (and wiser) than you. I've bought more than 12 cars in my time. MMarshall probably as old as me, and he's bought a number of cars (etc..). You want some advice? I'd look around, there are millions of used cars sold each year in the US, I think you can find a good deal. I would not buy a car like this.

Last edited by rai; 12-01-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 03:28 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fyi- i checked out the car during the day today and was able to look past all the plastic panels in the engine bay... i saw quite a bit of oxidation on the motor and around the header and other parts around the engine... reminds me of a car from back east where there is snow or the west coast where there is a lot of salt in the air.

also pulled up the trunk carpet to see the spare tire - noticed quite a few leaves, twigs, spiderwebs, etc... oh and a couple of golf tees. Kinda made me think the car just sat a while under some tree waiting to get repaired by body shop.

Also noticed the rubber seal around the door sill coming loose.

anyway- I negotiated with the guy and ended up paying 10k out the door. i hope i got a good deal. I'll let you know how it goes a month from now.

jk. didn't buy it.
Old 12-01-06, 03:41 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres one way to decide man. Tell the dealer that you want to bring it to Nissan/Infiniti for a full pre-buy check. If their ok with it, do it and then make a decion on what the techs at Infiniti say. If they dealer ship says you can't do that, well then walk away and go by your lil bro a 2000 Camaro Z28 6spd. LOL